Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is swearing going out of fashion?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I swear like a trooper, even in front of my (grownup) kids. I'm university educated and have had a successful career in IT sales. It has always been fairly commonplace amongst my colleagues, although I probably outswear them all. I don't F***ing care what any pompous d***head thinks about it. It most definitely is not a sign of poor education.
Charming, a Cv to be proud of, bet you can't wait to show off your vocabulary in front of the grandkids?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Swearing just shows a lack of literacy as a result of a poor education. As for being fashionable? Maybe in Chav culture, failing that I really don't know.

image.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not sure about swearing but nudity on mainstream tv is totally out of fashion these days compared to my youth- seventies.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Not sure fashion comes into it. Some people swear a lot, others don't. We've got a rich and varied language and there are lots of ways of bringing emphasis if you want to without f-bombs, but occasionally some feel it's the only thing that really does the job. When it's every third word, that's when it gets my goat :shrug:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I do not seem to be much of a part of the development of social norms in my workplace, and i do seem to be the only one swearing quite so much at times. The work i do isn't the sweariest type anyway, but a different crowd have come in gradually don't, and they don't seem to be as ****-happy as me and my colleagues of the noughties. I've had to change my ways a bit, which i of course should very well have done, but it probably does stand out as a bit odd for the innocent younger members of the office to hear the plump chap in the corner letting off a few too many loud f*cking hells and pricknads each day.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I swear like a trooper, even in front of my (grownup) kids. I'm university educated and have had a successful career in IT sales. It has always been fairly commonplace amongst my colleagues, although I probably outswear them all. I don't F***ing care what any pompous d***head thinks about it. It most definitely is not a sign of poor education.

Just lack of style mate .......

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Rightly or wrongly I feel uncomfortable when in conversation with someone who constantly swears - for some reason even more so when others can overhear.

I very rarely swear, so much so that on the odd occasion I have let loose an expletive shocked silence resulted.

The above is not intended either as a criticism or support for those that do enjoy using colourful language - purely an observation.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What a load of pompous old bollocks the " lack of literacy" and " poor education" comments are. I know plenty of university educated people , including some in highly respected professions that love a ****ing good swear up as much as the rest of us

Of course educated folk can swear as much, though I suspect that on average, the greater the education, the less they do. I would also imagine that erudite and educated folk know when there is a greater chance of their expletives not offending anyone, and are far less prone to loud foul-mouthed outbursts that take no account of who might hear.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Often in a group of people, or at work, I find myself the only person using the F-word. I blame it on the football :)

Is swearing going out of fashion, do you think?

Answer using a swear word of your choice - but also a genuine question....

**** :moo:

My present workplace is a lot less sweary than previous establisments.
Having said that when I do let rip on occasion everyone seems to enjoy it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The best swearing I ever heard, was a drunken Geordie sailor, "F-----g f--k off you f-----g f-----s" Marvellous use of the English language

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Stephen Fry swears a lot, and a lot of people think he is very literate and intelligent :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here