[Albion] Is Solly March an Albion legend?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Solly March an Albion legend?

• Of course!

Votes: 221 98.7%
  • No - lower league donkey who has had a bit of luck

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting thoughts about the legend concept but the bolded part... doesn't that get a bit weird? I think, Zamora and Ward aside, Leon Knight might be the old ex-Albion name I've read the most often since joining here... far more than say Kerry Mayo. Does that make Leon Knight a legend?

There's a different word for Leon Knight.

Clearly notorious players will be spoken of well after they've gone as well. But knight and mayo bear no comparison

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
It wasn’t that long ago people were slagging him off loads on here ! A lot of short term memories. The term ‘Legend’ is thrown about too much. A ‘legend’ is somebody who’s performed to the highest ability at all times and has that X Factor that when they walk past you you turn to the person next to you and say “he was a player”. I just don’t think Solly has “it”. Ward and Zamora are players that immediately spring to mind in that catergory. I think because he is local has clouded a few minds. An excellent player on his day so don’t get me wrong.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Interesting thoughts about the legend concept but the bolded part... doesn't that get a bit weird? I think, Zamora and Ward aside, Leon Knight might be the old ex-Albion name I've read the most often since joining here... far more than say Kerry Mayo. Does that make Leon Knight a legend?
Leon Knight 🤣

What a load of bollocks.

Could name 100 players before him.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
"Legend" is such a weird word. I don't think it really means anything anymore, at least in a football context.

Certain players arguably become iconic, for a variety of reasons connected to skill levels and circumstances.

Off the top of my head, and sticking strictly to pre-Withdean years, I would say Johnny Byrne, Perry Digweed, John Crumplin and Kurt Nogan were iconic. As were Gary Hart and Jeff Minton. All contributed something that still sticks in the mind all these years later. (This is not my exhaustive list, it's just some random examples.)

Would I pay to hear any of them speak at a glittering black-tie dinner? Would I put their poster on my office wall? No.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is NorthStandChat in financial difficulty or something?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was good but his shooting was atrocious

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
My gosh he was brilliant in that first half. Oozing confidence, energy and strength.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Holding his right thigh for much of the second half.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Peter O'Sullevan could be added to the list as could Ian Mellor and Kurt Nogan who very nearly beat Ward's club scoring record.

Yes Solly is up there with the best of them.
Well....we are sort of venturing, now, into the 'players we like' arena.

Howard Wilkinson
Alex oo oo Dawson
Dave Turner
Willy Irvine
Harry f***ing Wilson
John Templeman
Stuart Henderson
Fred Binney
Lawro
Foster
And Smith
Robbo