Is sacking Hyppia just papering over the cracks?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sort of.

Difficult to assess the new signings as Sami isn't offering a coherent structure for them to express themselves. They might not be as good as the players they replaced (although Kuszczak, Buckley and Bridcutt weren't exactly busting a gut towards the end of their stays here) but they are better than they are playing at the moment.

David Burke is interesting. I am guessing his targets have changed in the last couple of years due to FFP inspired financial restrictions. From what I can see (correct me if I am wrong) his background is more in setting up youth development structures. While you can't fault the man's work on the Training Ground and getting it Cat 1 status I suspect he might go on to the next challenge now the Training Ground is up and running.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ulloa, Buckley?

what is criminal is they have not been replaced,if they knew they were going we should have been a bit quicker in finding the right players.
minds elsewhere

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
"The work" was already thrown away over the last three transfer windows. Look at the squad circa. April 2013 and compare to now. Probably a dozen or more names in that earlier squad of PL, higher Championship or La Liga quality, all now gone, in a massive deconstruction. To blame much of the shocking decline on SH, a head coach who joined midway through the Summer and who under our club structure is only one say on recruitment, would be bizarre.

OG was the first victim of the squad decline, the football last season was mainly dire and no one could blame the guy for walking. Made the play offs by the skin of our teeth, as our rival clubs also stumbled on that final run in. Whereas back to a normal season this time around with say 8 teams playing winning football.

I partly agree. For me, the main work, certainly since being in the Championship has been on developing a style of possession football with a sound defensive record, and an emphasis on passing. Hyppia's philosophy appears to be completely different.

If you look at the squad I really believe that it would still be possible to go back to how we played before, but we certainly would be looking at mid table mediocrity (which right now I'd be quite happy with).

but you are right that the quality of players has decreased dramatically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports