Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is sacking Hyppia just papering over the cracks?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem is two fold:
- there have been a string of bad decisions on the recruitment front, which would mean any manager would struggle with that squad
- Even so, Hypia has made a particularly poor job of it

I think there'll be a major arse cover. Hypia will get sacked, and big money spent in January under new manager. results will pick up a bit, Burke and co can blame Hypia.
Correct, I think - except for the big money being spent in January.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
To a degree, yes.

It is hard to look at Hyppia right now and see anything other than a man out of his depth and with nowhere to go. Sad as it is, our apparently worsening performances suggest that the team either refuse to perform for him or simply do not understand what they are being asked to do. Either way, it seems that there is little prospect of him turning things around and it feels like it is the time to show him the door.

Returning to the point of the thread, Hyppia's sacking may well help us in the short term if we can make the right appointment but it would mask other problems facing us. Barber has already gone into detail explaining why we cannot afford to build a squad capable of sustaining a promotion push. I don't doubt what he says and I don't doubt the good faith of the board. However, in their urgency to build a financially sustainable club they appear to have created a very unwieldy scouting and recruitment set up that appears to pitch the coach against those charged with providing him a squad. It is a messy set up and the loss of two managers that took their teams to the playoffs clearly demonstrates that it is not one that has all sides of the operation pulling together.

Right now, I feel I have slipped passed anger into sadness. Over the last couple of years there was a real sensation that we were becoming "Premier League Ready" and that we were working our way towards the top flight in increments. 46 teams have now played in the Premier League. Half of the entire football league have managed to get their day in the sun and yet, with all that we have, we remain incapable of gaining ours. In a very short space of time we have had all of those thoughts snatched away and are facing up to what looks like being a very grim season indeed. We were so close to having the fairytale story, 28 minutes from non-league football to Premier League, but right now we are back to thinking of trap doors again.

Those are my considered thoughts.

Knackers!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Correct, I think - except for the big money being spent in January.

Interest waning, the cash is there, they've got form in splashing out at key moments (CMS)…..I would not be at all surprised if a Jordan Rhodes-type came in, so we all forget about o'grady etc

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Hyppia is out of his depth. The tactics are not working, they don't suit the players we have and based on what we've seen, other managers have worked him out. I mean when a team managed by Steve Evans out play you and are unlucky not to win, you know you've got it wrong.

I can understand people saying they didn't like the previous style of football, but it worked, even with a significant amount of injuries. I think someone said it on another thread, but it feels like we are throwing away the work from the last 5 years that got us where we are.

There is certainly an issue with player recruitment, it's been highlighted by the previous two managers and if we try to get a new manager, one of the stumbling blocks will be the current squad and possible replacements.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hyppia is out of his depth. The tactics are not working, they don't suit the players we have and based on what we've seen, other managers have worked him out. I mean when a team managed by Steve Evans out play you and are unlucky not to win, you know you've got it wrong.

I can understand people saying they didn't like the previous style of football, but it worked, even with a significant amount of injuries. I think someone said it on another thread, but it feels like we are throwing away the work from the last 5 years that got us where we are.

There is certainly an issue with player recruitment, it's been highlighted by the previous two managers and if we try to get a new manager, one of the stumbling blocks will be the current squad and possible replacements.

"The work" was already thrown away over the last three transfer windows. Look at the squad circa. April 2013 and compare to now. Probably a dozen or more names in that earlier squad of PL, higher Championship or La Liga quality, all now gone, in a massive deconstruction. To blame much of the shocking decline on SH, a head coach who joined midway through the Summer and who under our club structure is only one say on recruitment, would be bizarre.

OG was the first victim of the squad decline, the football last season was mainly dire and no one could blame the guy for walking. Made the play offs by the skin of our teeth, as our rival clubs also stumbled on that final run in. Whereas back to a normal season this time around with say 8 teams playing winning football.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's true that too much quality has been lost from the squad. That said, I think Hyypia's joke of a system is the reason we're not comfortably mid-table at worst.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it depends on what you consider the cracks to be. It's clear we don't have as good a squad as the last two seasons but it is comparable to the one Poyet had in our first season. We finished 10th then, I think? At any rate we were comfortably top half and even flirted with the play offs.

It is the managers job to get the most out of his players. Hyppia, as far as I can see, is not doing that. The hallmark of his team so far is a lack of structure, no cohesion, poor tactics and ineffectual attacking play.

This side should be comfortable mid table. What's frustrating is it so nearly is...how many points have we lost because of goals conceded due to pushing the full backs so far up the pitch? Change that one thing alone and we'd be higher up the table. Then with a stable back four you can work on all the other areas that need improving. That this isn't happening is so so frustrating and frankly worrying.

We're pretty much a third of the way through the season and there are no signs of improvement. That is nobody's fault but the manager's.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
DOn't agree - I think this squad, if managed well, can do well. Think what Pulis did with a "relegated" Palace last season. That is what we need now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What ever happened to this great hope toko or whatever his name is...I thought this was burke's great signing. Certainly Sami had never heard of him.

But how good a judge of a player is SH? The biggest cheer yesterday was when McCourt came on and he created our best chance but it appears SH doesn't rate him?

Yes.

TB and Burke have allowed a League One squad to form, obviously not by design, but they lack the footballing ethos and savvy recruitment of say Derby and Bournemouth (both, no parachute monies, either). Under the Albion's management structure and with his late arrival, SH or any future head coach, have a tiny say in player recruitment.

In both of the last 2 HOME games, our opponents have been bigger, stronger, better athletes, not averse to passing, direct and today, with better fitness and stamina levels. JFC, COG and Baldock look like boys compared to men. Any coach would struggle with that background.

'not by design' is the key there. Buckley, Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa all left to join Prem clubs. We either spend big to replace them or we try and find gems such as Ince.

Sammi can be blamed, but those who selected him and backed his tactics, whilst selling players from under him are more responsible.

What players were sold under him that we had a choice about?

DOn't agree - I think this squad, if managed well, can do well. Think what Pulis did with a "relegated" Palace last season. That is what we need now.

I agree.

The problem we have is that the squad isn't what it was but I think it is better than where it currently resides. The tactics are primarily at fault. Get them right and a lot of teams can certainly punch above their weight. Unfortunately, SH, like a lot of managers, have an arrogance that means they find it difficult to accept they may have it wrong. He has come in with a style of play that is clearly not working with the players he has. I would rather have a manger that comes in, looks at the squad and works out a system to get the best out of what he has.

With regard to the references to FFP, we have under 6 weeks until all the clubs will have had to have submitted their accounts for last season and we will see which clubs are faced with embargoes and (for those promoted) which are fined. Forest have spent big and certainly started well but are going through a lean spell which, as seems to be the likelihood, they get an embargo, then they can't change anything in January. Bournemouth may be in the same boat and who knows who else. Hopefully, we will be ok and meet the obligations, assuming the comments from the club aren't just spin.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
But how good a judge of a player is SH? The biggest cheer yesterday was when McCourt came on and he created our best chance but it appears SH doesn't rate him?

'not by design' is the key there. Buckley, Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa all left to join Prem clubs. We either spend big to replace them or we try and find gems such as Ince.

I agree.

The problem we have is that the squad isn't what it was but I think it is better than where it currently resides. The tactics are primarily at fault. Get them right and a lot of teams can certainly punch above their weight. Unfortunately, SH, like a lot of managers, have an arrogance that means they find it difficult to accept they may have it wrong. He has come in with a style of play that is clearly not working with the players he has. I would rather have a manger that comes in, looks at the squad and works out a system to get the best out of what he has.

With regard to the references to FFP, we have under 6 weeks until all the clubs will have had to have submitted their accounts for last season and we will see which clubs are faced with embargoes and (for those promoted) which are fined. Forest have spent big and certainly started well but are going through a lean spell which, as seems to be the likelihood, they get an embargo, then they can't change anything in January. Bournemouth may be in the same boat and who knows who else. Hopefully, we will be ok and meet the obligations, assuming the comments from the club aren't just spin.

Ulloa, Buckley?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

I agree.

Agreed

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I think we are all agreed that the senior management at the club have not covered themselves with glory in respect of player movements over the summer. However, putting this to one side for the moment my concern, particularly over the last few games is that tactically we have looked clueless. The players seem unfamiliar with one another and the formation has been 'disjointed' at best. Surely that has to be down to Hyppia?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think we are all agreed that the senior management at the club have not covered themselves with glory in respect of player movements over the summer. However, putting this to one side for the moment my concern, particularly over the last few games is that tactically we have looked clueless. The players seem unfamiliar with one another and the formation has been 'disjointed' at best. Surely that has to be down to Hyppia?

Of course and our opponents have all clearly done their homework on us, continually seeking to get us on the counter. However surely Sammi would have conveyed his ethos and way of playing to those recruiting him, Sammi s tactics on the day are responsible but the strategic decision to engage him lays with those who recruited him. Our senior management team is looking pretty poor at the moment and apart from 'One Ambition' that ambiguous statement and informing us that we have a squad that will challenge for a play off place they have been very quiet. What will they do if they let Sammi go, it reflects on them, rabbits in the headlights now not knowing what to do. Where's the leadership, the governance and the 'balls'. I feel we are like a ship without a rudder at the moment. BUT if we win four or five games on the bounce we will be in contention such is the nature of the Championship, things will need to change for that to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here