Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Rooney ....

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I understand Roy has given Mr Rooney some tactical reading, for the next game..

rooney.jpg

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
You've been reading the daily mail too much mate. Hasn't scored in the World Cup has scored at the euros and if he has scored 39 goals against minnows then well.... That's not right so I'm not going to waste anymore time pointing it out. Brazil are a minnow are they?????

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You've been reading the daily mail too much mate. Hasn't scored in the World Cup has scored at the euros and if he has scored 39 goals against minnows then well.... That's not right so I'm not going to waste anymore time pointing it out. Brazil are a minnow are they?????

Was Brazil in a major competition then, or just a friendly?. Rooney has not scored in any of the major tournaments, against the minnows in the qualifying stages only.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He just joins a long line of England players who have excelled for their clubs, showed early promise in internationals but never consistently produced.

What's interesting at World a Cups is players who have failed in English football, look great in their international sides.

There are already several who looked distinctly average in the PL, looking excellent in Brazil.

Rooney can have a beer with John Barnes et al and discuss underperforming on the international stage.

Drop him for Barkley seems an obvious decision for Roy now.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Rooney was poor last night and should have been subbed. He may look good against the likes of Newcastle & Cardiff etc, but that does not make him world class. World class players perform outstandingly against world class opposition. Wayne doesn't !!
The inventiveness last night was provided by Sterling & Sturridge. I would have preferred to see Lallana play in Rooneys role.
When we won the World Cup in 1966, the Manager caused a major stir by dropping our "best" player and leading goalscorer, Jimmy Greaves. It was a major shock to have him replaced by Geoff Hurst.
I think Hodgson should be as brave as Ramsey, and drop Rooney for the skills and flair of Lallana.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
So don't play him! Sturridge is by far the better choice up top, so no place for him there.

Exactly. If you are not going to play him in his preferred role, don't play him just because he is Wayne Rooney. If you do, play him in his best position. Unfair to judge him on tis

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
quite. on reflection i think slagging him when playing out of position is unfair. he *is* probably a tad overrated, but mainly on the basis that he hasnt delivered the potential consitantly and when it matters internationally. he has had a good season in a poor Man U side and shone brightly in the past for them. he is a top player. if he's played wide though, we cant expect him to perform to his ability. slate him when he's given a game in the hole.
You can't expect Rooney to be played wide in a 3-man attack, its not his best position. His is too slow to be played out on the wing. His preferred position is just behind Sturridge in the hole. There are other players better in a wide position. I don't think he will be dropped though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He just joins a long line of England players who have excelled for their clubs, showed early promise in internationals but never consistently produced.

What's interesting at World a Cups is players who have failed in English football, look great in their international sides.

There are already several who looked distinctly average in the PL, looking excellent in Brazil.

A lot of football followers make the mistake of judging players on their club performances. They look at all the top players in the PL, think its the highest standard in the world and rave about English players doing wondrous things supported by top foreign players.
There is no bigger stage than the World Cup and it shows us all which players can step up to the plate. Who can raise their game, display their talent and have the temperament to withstand the intense pressure. Basically, it sorts the men out from the boys. The top players revel on the highest stage and write their name into history. Pele, Cruyff, Rossi, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo, Iniesta etc. Over two World Cups, Banks, Moore and Charlton cemented their reputations with England. They were respected the world over. They were world class and proved it.
Recent times have proved that England have had no world class players and consequently fall short in tournaments. Gerrard and Rooney have had plenty of opportunities to prove themselves at the highest level but fans are still falling into the trap of making excuses for them. Gerrard was played out of position to accomodate Lampard too many times and Rooney has always been injured and now, when fit, is being played out of position.
The two of them are short of top-class and are not England's future. You won't get any more out of them. The future lies with Barkley, Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamb, Shaw etc. They need to be blooded, gain the experience on the highest stage and mature. If we get two world class players out of this group, then we've got a chance. We've got no chance with Gerrard and Rooney.
Martin Peters and Alan Ball only broke into the England team about a year before the 66 World Cup but they learnt quickly and played a major part in our subsequent victory.
The likes of Gerrard and Rooney are tarnished with failure and don't have the winning mentality on the highest stage. Short of top class, they have massive pressure heaped on them and ultimately fail to produce. Never mind how young some of these England players may be, one or two could be world stars of the future. Only time will tell if they develop, given the chance.
The PL hides the deficiencies of some England players. They are just part of the cosmopolitan, international tapestry of the league. They are supported and carried by top players around them and when they are exposed on the highest world stage, playing for their country, the cracks appear. You can pay Rooney a kings ransom to play for his club but it won't make a jot of difference to his temperament. He has fragile confidence and doesn't cope well with pressure. Eventually, his game cracks and he falls to pieces. Played out of position, he should still have the discipline to carry out the role assigned to him. He is a highly paid, experienced professional but all we hear are the likes of Ferdinand making excuses for him. Poor show!
I am only watching our young players in this tournament. I want to get a feel for the future. Do we have a chance in 2016/2018. Who has the temperament to succeed at this level?
Sadly, a lot of this campaign will be dominated by discussion about Rooney. We have to move on and find better.

We played Wayne Rooney on the left last night, he is a striker. He excelled there for Manchester United and is a far better number nine than Sturridge is. What England have done yet again is take their best player and expect him to be able to put in an adequate performance wherever he is played instead of just playing to his strengths.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

A lot of football followers make the mistake of judging players on their club performances. They look at all the top players in the PL, think its the highest standard in the world and rave about English players doing wondrous things supported by top foreign players.
There is no bigger stage than the World Cup and it shows us all which players can step up to the plate. Who can raise their game, display their talent and have the temperament to withstand the intense pressure. Basically, it sorts the men out from the boys. The top players revel on the highest stage and write their name into history. Pele, Cruyff, Rossi, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo, Iniesta etc. Over two World Cups, Banks, Moore and Charlton cemented their reputations with England. They were respected the world over. They were world class and proved it.
Recent times have proved that England have had no world class players and consequently fall short in tournaments. Gerrard and Rooney have had plenty of opportunities to prove themselves at the highest level but fans are still falling into the trap of making excuses for them. Gerrard was played out of position to accomodate Lampard too many times and Rooney has always been injured and now, when fit, is being played out of position.
The two of them are short of top-class and are not England's future. You won't get any more out of them. The future lies with Barkley, Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamb, Shaw etc. They need to be blooded, gain the experience on the highest stage and mature. If we get two world class players out of this group, then we've got a chance. We've got no chance with Gerrard and Rooney.
Martin Peters and Alan Ball only broke into the England team about a year before the 66 World Cup but they learnt quickly and played a major part in our subsequent victory.
The likes of Gerrard and Rooney are tarnished with failure and don't have the winning mentality on the highest stage. Short of top class, they have massive pressure heaped on them and ultimately fail to produce. Never mind how young some of these England players may be, one or two could be world stars of the future. Only time will tell if they develop, given the chance.
The PL hides the deficiencies of some England players. They are just part of the cosmopolitan, international tapestry of the league. They are supported and carried by top players around them and when they are exposed on the highest world stage, playing for their country, the cracks appear. You can pay Rooney a kings ransom to play for his club but it won't make a jot of difference to his temperament. He has fragile confidence and doesn't cope well with pressure. Eventually, his game cracks and he falls to pieces. Played out of position, he should still have the discipline to carry out the role assigned to him. He is a highly paid, experienced professional but all we hear are the likes of Ferdinand making excuses for him. Poor show!
I am only watching our young players in this tournament. I want to get a feel for the future. Do we have a chance in 2016/2018. Who has the temperament to succeed at this level?
Sadly, a lot of this campaign will be dominated by discussion about Rooney. We have to move on and find better.

I agree with all of this bar saying Gerrard has fallen short in international tournaments. After one sub appearance at Euro 2000 he played well in 2004 bar one mistake against the French and then at the World Cup in 2006 he was England's top scorer. Gave it his all and scored four years later (though I'd agree England were shithouse at that tournament) and then was voted into the UEFA team of the tournament for the 2012 Euros, he's done pretty well! I do think Brazil will be his swansong though, he'll call time at the end of the cup.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You can't expect Rooney to be played wide in a 3-man attack, its not his best position. His is too slow to be played out on the wing. His preferred position is just behind Sturridge in the hole. There are other players better in a wide position. I don't think he will be dropped though.

He was in his "best position" when he had the easiest opportunity to score in the game, or at least force a save. That was an awful miss and it is at moments like that he exposes his lack of quality on the world stage.

If that was Obika for Brighton he would have got slaughtered on here.

England fans have been congratulated for their realism in this tournament but the OTT criticism of Rooney is the one area were they still get carried away. Rooney had a decent game last night, he is no Ronaldo or Messi and never will be but England should make the most of his talents while they still can, for me Wellbeck is the one who should make way if someone on the front line has to be replaced. The bigger issue of course is the lack of control exerted by the likes of Gerrard and Henderson - this is where the team gets found out in games like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here