Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is reaching the Playoffs enough?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Even if we do get to the playoffs, the best we can hope for is to be playing Palarse, as they are the only team we can beat. Stuff Palarse in the semis and a lucky win in the final - I would take that.

Did I imagine us beating Cardiff, Hull and Watford this season then?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think we may be approaching a crossroads.

Miss out on promotion and I reckon it's goodbye to Gus and a few of our top players. Means a season of rebuilding next year.

Go up, and I don't think we'll survive (actually I think all three promoted teams this year will probably come down, whoever they are). Yes, we'll pocket a big parachute payment, but again it will mean the loss of our best players, including some of the new faces we'd have signed for the Premiership, as well as Gus if he's still here. Means a season of rebuilding the year after next.

There are positives as well as negatives to either outcome. But whatever happens next, I think we'll be seeing some big changes. I'm happy to enjoy the ride, but I really hope we don't take any decisions that jeopardise the financial health of the club.

I totally agree with that bit. The Club is the main thing, certainly not the Manager or individual players, or even the Board.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Did I imagine us beating Cardiff, Hull and Watford this season then?

I was working on the basis of Cardiff and Hull taking the automatic spots, and Watford being so much better than us at The AMEX that they will probably stuff us next time as well, but if we had a bit of luck in the final, we may scrape it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For argument's sake let's assume we don't get promoted and look at the "natural progression" argument, i.e. play-offs, well done lads, better than last season, here's hoping etc.

The problem is that it is hard to maintain that momentum. Gus plus the core of Bridcutt, Ulloa, Buckley, Spanish Dave, Bruno, Kuzsczak, Vicente - most, if not all, of these would have to stay if we are to compete with the likes of Reading, Wigan and QPR armed with parachute payments and decent managers.

Will we REALLY get so lucky again that we have the likes of Bridge and Upson in our defence? Is it possible Gus can continue to unearth stunning quality from Spain and/or South America?

We have to pay for the training ground. I can see Gus giving this another season, but no more unless we get promoted. How much more is Bloom prepared to invest to reach the promised land?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Getting into the playoffs is progress from last season. It would be great to get two extra games and amazing if we get to Wembley.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Top 6 was and is my minimum expectation. Gus and Tony's minimum requirement for this season too I believe. Expect problems if we fail to make top 6.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
In answer to the question, no it isn't. In life its important to take the opportunities when they arise and I feel even though we are only in our second year in the Championship we have an opportunity this year, next year it may be tougher, we may be short of a few players or we may have a stronger squad. But look at the players we have currently and what is being done off the field in terms of resource and support. I have heard those on here that talk of a five year plan as if it is a certainty that we will climb out of this division in a set period so we can consider the interim years as building, not so take while its there. If we were to be promoted this year, we take our chances in the prem, but please those of you who are apologists for what have been some really piss poor performances over the last six weeks stop making excuses in advance for failure to either reach the playoffs or be knocked out. I go to see our team win every time and am sadly dissappointed at what I am seeing on the pitch at the moment. Ulloa is becoming the new CMS, starved of opportunities, coming into his own half to get the ball, oh and there s the passing game that we play, mainly in our own half allowing the opposition plenty of time to get behind the ball and stifle our growth, or perhaps its the give it to Vicente at all costs gane that we play or pass it to Lua Lua who can over hit, under hit the cross or has 12 shots to hit the target. The team seem bereft of ideas and tired and our manager appears to be writing his own press in his mind, its not lost on me that since there has beenpositions that interest our manager with other teams, our performance has steadily become worse.
Reaching the playoffs is not enough and our chairman who has invested more than any of us must have seen the opportunity we had six weeks ago and has had to settle for excuses and evasions from our manager. I truly believe that if we don't make the playoffs we will have a new manager by the summer.

Last edited:

kjgood

Yes is the simple answer, and especially considering the base level from where we have come from over the last couple of years. Teams and businesses that over extend too quickly always come tumbling down in a heap. Steady progress, firm foundations etc etc.

If you asked the same question next year, i may have a different view though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In answer to the question, no it isn't. In life its important to take the opportunities when they arise and I feel even though we are only in our second year in the Championship we have an opportunity this year, next year it may be tougher, we may be short of a few players or we may have a stronger squad. But look at the players we have currently and what is being done off the field in terms of resource and support. I have heard those on here that talk of a five year plan as if it is a certainty that we will climb out of this division in a set period so we can consider the interim years as building, not so take while its there. If we were to be promoted this year, we take our chances in the prem, but please those of you who are apologists for what have been some really piss poor performances over the last six weeks stop making excuses in advance for failure to either reach the playoffs or be knocked out. I go to see our team win every time and am sadly dissappointed at what I am seeing on the pitch at the moment. Ulloa is becoming the new CMS, starved of opportunities, coming into his own half to get the ball, oh and there s the passing game that we play, mainly in our own half allowing the opposition plenty of time to get behind the ball and stifle our growth, or perhaps its the give it to Vicente at all costs gane that we play or pass it to Lua Lua who can over hit, under hit the cross or has 12 shots to hit the target. The team seem bereft of ideas and tired and our manager appears to be writing his own press in his mind, its not lost on me that since there has beenpositions that interest our manager with other teams, our performance has steadily become worse.
Reaching the playoffs is not enough and our chairman who has invested more than any of us must have seen the opportunity we had six weeks ago and has had to settle for excuses and evasions from our manager. I truly believe that if we don't make the playoffs we will have a new manager by the summer.

I read all of that and came to the conclusion that you are bonkers.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
The Albion are a Championship side at the moment. Without an extra injection of cash for Prem quality players I think we should be content with where we are. Hopefully with our new training complex we will be able to produce our own Prem quality players in the future.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Surely if we were serious about promotion this season then we are close enough for TB to have gone the extra mile moneywise and get it funded. The fact that we have continued on the well publicised "small team wages" "punching above our weight" etc tells me that he is not ready yet and is still building the infrastructure. Maybe next year eh?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Promotion, promotion, promotion. Nothing else will do. Previous poster got it right when talking about who is coming down. QPR, Reading and one other have money so will want a fast return. Meanwhile there will still be 3 of the top 7 clubs (plus BHA) still around. Throw in Leeds that makes a minimum of 8 big clubs. Gus will go, 100%. This is the year so lets get it on. Wemberleeee, Wemberleeee, we're the famous Brighton Hove Albion and were going to Wemberleeee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here