Is Queens Park Brighton the most over rated area in the city ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I lived there as a child, never been back. What's it like now?

Fiveways is good. Farily clean and tidy - lots of local pride in keeping the area nice.

Can't speak about life east of Fiveways, but west of it, down Preston Drove and Stanford Avenue, and up along the Dover Road area, it's pretty decent. There's a (steep-ish) park, we have a community garden outside our house, the shops on Fiveways are good. Ravens the baker, Barfields the butcher, greengrocer, cafes etc. One thing missing - and this is the same for across much of Brighton - is a good local fishmonger.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Where in Brighton is Kingston? Thought this thread was about Brighton.

Original question.... 'Anyone else have an area they think is over rated ?'

Now this question may refer to an area in Brighton or any area in the country. The question was ambiguous however the fact you have quoted me means you should prob get out more. Why to take the piss? because you're angry? if you were not happy with me mentioning an area outside of Brighton you could simply ignore my comment. I wasn't insulting anyone i was merely agreeing with the OP and participating in the conversation with my views.

Maybe i did misconstrue the question and incorrectly commented on my experience of house prices in Kingston, however i was hardly talking about the price of eggs... It is still on topic of high house prices...

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Have fond memories of Westdene as went to school there as a child. The one thing it does lack, however, is a decent pub. Or correction, any pub, unless you count The Sportsman or carvery or whatever it is now.

Having moved back down to the area recently i think Westdene is pretty underrated to be honest, certainly from a property price perspective. Admittedly it is crying out for a pub, but transport links are reasonable, good school, good locals shops, easy parking, leisure centre and park and ride straight to the Amex.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Fiveways is good. Farily clean and tidy - lots of local pride in keeping the area nice.

Can't speak about life east of Fiveways, but west of it, down Preston Drove and Stanford Avenue, and up along the Dover Road area, it's pretty decent. There's a (steep-ish) park, we have a community garden outside our house, the shops on Fiveways are good. Ravens the baker, Barfields the butcher, greengrocer, cafes etc. One thing missing - and this is the same for across much of Brighton - is a good local fishmonger.
There was a fish stall outside the coffee shop Tilt on a Friday and Saturday but it's gone now. I go down to the one outside the London Road market.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Did he mean any location, rather than any property?

It is a bit expensive. It's not even got an en-suite:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42935586.html

The same house sold for £940k in 2008. Their neighbour sold in 2007 for the same price, then again this year for £1.25m. Difficult to imagine how this one has gone up by another £450k.

PS - Is 'Not nick rhodes' the same poster as 'Nick rhodes' who recently flounced off?

I live at the bottom end of Queen's Park road. We have friends in West Drive (not this house) and I can promise you that as far as housing goes in Brighton, West Drive is immense. They are beautiful properties.

Area wise, you have Queens Park of course, several good primary schools and the proximity to the sea to the south (7 minutes from my house to the water), kemp town (sleazy and posh ends 5 minutes away) and Brighton station, which is a 15 minute walk away. You also have a 10 minute stroll to the North Laine or North Street. I love it.

Jul 7, 2016
I live at the bottom end of Queen's Park road. We have friends in West Drive (not this house) and I can promise you that as far as housing goes in Brighton, West Drive is immense. They are beautiful properties.

Area wise, you have Queens Park of course, several good primary schools and the proximity to the sea to the south (7 minutes from my house to the water), kemp town (sleazy and posh ends 5 minutes away) and Brighton station, which is a 15 minute walk away. You also have a 10 minute stroll to the North Laine or North Street. I love it.

I thought West Drive houses had small gardens and no garages ? No restaurants nearby, only if u walk into Kemp town which at night I understand can get a bit sleazy ? Is this correct ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Original question.... 'Anyone else have an area they think is over rated ?'

Now this question may refer to an area in Brighton or any area in the country. The question was ambiguous however the fact you have quoted me means you should prob get out more. Why to take the piss? because you're angry? if you were not happy with me mentioning an area outside of Brighton you could simply ignore my comment. I wasn't insulting anyone i was merely agreeing with the OP and participating in the conversation with my views.

Maybe i did misconstrue the question and incorrectly commented on my experience of house prices in Kingston, however i was hardly talking about the price of eggs... It is still on topic of high house prices...

:tantrum:

Many apollogies, sounds like I hit a nerve :lolol:

Thanks for the advice about getting out more, I had been out for 2 hours when you posted your reply, just got home now.

Take the piss because I'm angry ? ??? I am a bit of a piss taker but it wasn't an angry question.
You are the one sounding angry, top rant by the way :rant:

Apologies again :bigwave:

Down from London.

Day-trippers who leave their rubbish all over the beach.

Nah. A DFL thinks she owns the beach and can control what happens on it. And she controls what goes on in the North Laine and everywhere else in the city ... except, of course, Portslade. Which she's never heard of.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can see the pictures, they're no more beautiful than others of that style in Brighton & Hove, and as I said, it's only a semi.

I didn't say it's not a nice place to live.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I can see the pictures, they're no more beautiful than others of that style in Brighton & Hove, and as I said, it's only a semi.

I didn't say it's not a nice place to live.

Honestly, they have serious wow factor. I've been in four or five of them and each one takes my breath away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Honestly, they have serious wow factor. I've been in four or five of them and each one takes my breath away.
They have the same height ceilings, same style of cornicing, skirting, ordinary banisters, less stained glass than many others. And the one mentioned in the OP has a loft conversion, it's not even original. What makes you think they're different to the other properties around Brighton and Hove? What comparable local houses have you been round?

A search at that price range comes up with this:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41886645.html
Also very expensive, but the same style of house.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
They have the same height ceilings, same style of cornicing, skirting, ordinary banisters, less stained glass than many others. And the one mentioned in the OP has a loft conversion, it's not even original. What makes you think they're different to the other properties around Brighton and Hove? What comparable local houses have you been round?

A search at that price range comes up with this:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41886645.html
Also very expensive, but the same style of house.

Love the two in Denmark Villas (both semi detached), but the others are a bit meh. One of the West Drive ones I love has an incredible stained glass. Next time you over this way you should drive and take a look. They really are stunning. I also think there is little else like them in central Brighton.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought West Drive houses had small gardens and no garages ? No restaurants nearby, only if u walk into Kemp town which at night I understand can get a bit sleazy ? Is this correct ?

Have you looked at the property in question or are you guessing?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Love the two in Denmark Villas (both semi detached), but the others are a bit meh.
How is the one I linked to a bit meh? It looks like it was built by the same people, but with some nicer features (like the staircase and ceilings) and it's detached and not got a loft conversion.

One of the West Drive ones I love has an incredible stained glass.
I was only commenting on the one in the OP, which is a very nice house, but no more so than others of that price and style IMO. Of course there may be others there with even more detail etc.

Next time you over this way you should drive and take a look.
I'll print this off, knock on some doors and explain the situation.
They really are stunning.
But how is the one linked to any better than the one I've linked to?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Going back to the property in question... I know the vendors and been to the house a number of times. It's a beautiful place and been very sensitively restored. However, the garden is small (not relative to other properties in Brighton, but relative to properties of that value imho!) and very overlooked.

I haven't spoken to them since it went on the market, but have to say I was surprised at the valuation. Don't think they're in a huge rush to sell, so probably testing the market... I'm sure there are some DFL's who will sell their 2 bed house in Putney and be able to buy it with spare change!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports