Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Queens Park Brighton the most over rated area in the city ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just bought my first flat, it's on Queens Park Road.

Personally, we love it. Having lived in the centre of town and off St. James Street its so nice being somewhere quiet. Loads of good pubs. Massive bloody park to sit in which is also blissfully devoid of DFL types on the weekends.

I live in the centre of town and off St.James Street. I was brought up in Queens Park and have lived there most of my life. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the rental trap. I really would like to go back to living in the St Luke's area.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Is it? That is good news. I might be able to park on my street when we come back from a weekend outing from now.

You should have had a questionnaire to fill out in March?? They posted the results in June was a majority for parking restrictions. Further consultation to take place but should be in place in 2017

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I live in the centre of town and off St.James Street. I was brought up in Queens Park and have lived there most of my life. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the rental trap. I really would like to go back to living in the St Luke's area.

It's a real shame that so many are stuck renting.

I was only able to buy after my grandmother passed away. At least three of my friends bought only after losing a loved one as well. It's a horrible part of modern home ownership for many people.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In an overvalued market there are still some places offering relative vfm

East worthing, lancing, fishersgate, bevendean, hollingbury, saltdean & loads further east are more 'affordable'. But nowhere really within walking distance from town

As I've posted on here before, I absolutely love living in Coldean. Great views, plenty of green spaces, quiet neighbours, excellent school, library, doctors' surgery and regular buses. And my 4-bed semi with fair-sized garden was recently valued at £315k. Given the prices in Brighton, I don't call that over-valued at all.

I think all outlying areas of Brighton are pretty good value TBH. I wouldn't like to live in Hanover or North Laine personally, but each to their own

Jan 30, 2008
For me Queens Park is the most over rated area. Just seen a semi on right move on west drive at 1.7m. Really ! There is nothing there other than a park ! For that price you can buy anywhere in the city.

Anyone else have an area they think is over rated ?

full of tree huggers what did you expect???
regards
DR

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As I've posted on here before, I absolutely love living in Coldean. Great views, plenty of green spaces, quiet neighbours, excellent school, library, doctors' surgery and regular buses. And my 4-bed semi with fair-sized garden was recently valued at £315k. Given the prices in Brighton, I don't call that over-valued at all.

I think all outlying areas of Brighton are pretty good value TBH. I wouldn't like to live in Hanover or North Laine personally, but each to their own

Ditto Newhaven with better transport links and considerably cheaper than Coldean.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
As previously stated Hanover.

I'll add Stoneham Park to the list, a small 3 bed mid terrace for 500k ����

Oct 25, 2003
i've lived in two properties in Hanover as has my wife and my vote would go to there. It has it's plus points- mainly the location, but for me there were too many negatives

-the houses are small and it seems like loads of them have damp
-there was regularly rubbish all over the street on certain roads
-parking is a nightmare (due to get better with the introduction of permits- shame it had to come to that)
-despite the quantity, the pubs aren't actually that great (with a couple of exceptions)
-a grand total of ONE cash point within the boundaries of Hanover (I hope this has changed since I lived there)
-no proper shops (and a lot of them charge for card usage/have a minimum spend making the above point particularly annoying)

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
i've lived in two properties in Hanover as has my wife and my vote would go to there. It has it's plus points- mainly the location, but for me there were too many negatives

-parking is a nightmare (due to get better with the introduction of permits- shame it had to come to that)
-despite the quantity, the pubs aren't actually that great (with a couple of exceptions)
-a grand total of ONE cash point within the boundaries of Hanover (I hope this has changed since I lived there)
-no proper shops (and a lot of them charge for card usage/have a minimum spend making the above point particularly annoying)

Most houses built 200 years ago with basements are damp, they were built quickly for the viaduct railway workers. Our house has had some damp issues but we knew that when we purchased.
Rubbish is much better with the introduction of the wheelie bins and most people now not leaving there rubbish out for the seagulls to attack.
Its unsurprising that the parking has become so bad as this is the last central Brighton area where parking is unrestricted. Most of the issues are caused by American Express and Royal Sussex. They will have a shock when the restrictions are enforced.
Local shops Aldi 8 min walk with plently of cash points in London road.
Sadly lots of the pubs are struggling but the good ones will survive.
Its a great area to live in my opinion, but agree the cost of the houses is madness.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ditto Newhaven with better transport links and considerably cheaper than Coldean.

not for much longer if southerns latest timetable is anything to go by

newhaven and seaford are already cheap but if they lose the rail link its gonna go through the floor

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

cancelled two viewings in hanover a few weeks ago due to parking. if yoou cant even park to view the house whats the point. bollocks to that. 20 years ago I would have loved to live there but not now.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
cancelled two viewings in hanover a few weeks ago due to parking. if yoou cant even park to view the house whats the point. bollocks to that. 20 years ago I would have loved to live there but not now.

You might want to reconsider with the restrictions coming in apparently puts 20K on the value of your house.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I just bought my first flat, it's on Queens Park Road.

Personally, we love it. Having lived in the centre of town and off St. James Street its so nice being somewhere quiet. Loads of good pubs. Massive bloody park to sit in which is also blissfully devoid of DFL types on the weekends.

I bought my first flat in Queens Park Road in the early 90's. First floor 2 bedroom flat, £36K

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here