Is Poyet going to be Albions Wenger?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
It's been interesting the read and hear about why the signing off the contract took longer than we expected. It seems the issues revolved around Gus's involvement in the club particularly with the youth set up where as he stated he wants to "help Hinsh out".

Along with the creation of a development squad opposed to a reserve team it occurs to me Gus wants to create an environment whereby the practises used for the first team will be used at all levels similar to how Wenger runs Arsenal.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's been interesting the read and hear about why the signing off the contract took longer than we expected. It seems the issues revolved around Gus's involvement in the club particularly with the youth set up where as he stated he wants to "help Hinsh out".

Along with the creation of a development squad opposed to a reserve team it occurs to me Gus wants to create an environment whereby the practises used for the first team will be used at all levels similar to how Wenger runs Arsenal.

Is that out of the door and bring in a foreign equivalent so that we recruit the pick of the young players from Europe like Wenger does.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well i just hope we can produce more better youngsters then the current rate.

Would be nice to see a decent young winger or striker come through instead of defenders.The defenders that we have produced have been very good.Joel Lynch was i reckon a Poyet's type of defender as well.A player who was comfortable with the ball.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We're going to become a squad of light weight whinging little babies that moan when someone tries to tackle our players? And moan if any team beats us by not playing our version of 'pure football'?

And breathe

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
İbrahim Tatlıses;3616184 said:
“We will have the time to go out and watch the under-15s and under-14s and get them playing the same way we want the first team to be playing so, when they get to an age where they can get a professional contract, they are as ready as they can be.” - Taricco

Everyone raved about how Wilkins boys' were special, but in hindsight most of them wouldn't get into our team now because they were trained to play dull, league one football and that is where most of them have ended up or lower. If we are to produce quality players, they need to be taught quality football at a young age.

Let's face it, we haven't produced a quality youngster since Barry (and I don't think even we can really take credit for that)

Disagree with that.You don't need to produce youth players that are premiership bound. As long as they can perform well whatever league we are in is what really matters. Players like Virgo/Elphick/Hammond/Harding etc are good quality players of which some we have made a decent wedge for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he is wanting to produce the next Rooney or Rodwell or like Wnger bring in a youngster like Fabregas while at school as opposed to players that may be good enough for the lower leagues, like Hammond Virgo Cox etc..

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I know Mauricio is biased a bit, but is he really talking about the Albion and a Prem. Club.
I hope I can get used to hyperbole like this, written about the Team.
That togetherness of the players showed against Sunderland where in the first-half we kept the ball for fun. That is our aim so we are expecting a lot more like that.
. :love:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Disagree with that.You don't need to produce youth players that are premiership bound. As long as they can perform well whatever league we are in is what really matters. Players like Virgo/Elphick/Hammond/Harding etc are good quality players of which some we have made a decent wedge for.

On the one hand I agree with you. On the other, if we are aiming to be in the championship in 4 years time, our under 14s ned to be learning to pass the ball around and keep possession in much the same way that you would expect a team in the play-off zone of the championship to play. We don't want our youngsters incapable of playing in the first team because they have been taught a different style of football to the first team.

Bloom has money, but I don't think his money alone will get us into the top flight in the next decade - we need a youth setup that will produce players that can adapt to the level we all want the club to be playing at.

In the meantime, I think you are absolutely right, we need players that can move into our first team, and not be so good that they are 'plucked' by Premier League academies before they benefit Brighton.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

f*** yeah, bring it on

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Sounds like Poyet wants to do everything the correct way and turn Brighton into his long term project. Get the kids playing decent, passing, possession football from a young age so that they can fit into the team straight away when old enough. Bit like the Ajax academy.

Can only be a good thing for the club imo. Wenger has to raid Europe for youngsters because, I assume, the English youngsters are not good enough.

If all clubs did it this way, perhaps in 20 years time we would not be having debates about why English players are technically inferior and why we always fail at World Cup finals. (Am not saying by the way that the future England team will be made up of ex Brighton youngsters, but it would be great if it did!!)

hastings albion

Mar 26, 2008

Can only be good for the club now and for the long term. Just hope Gus stay long enough to complete the job. :amex:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Arsenal - established premiership team in champions league every season, where bar Madrid/Barca would Wenger go?
Brighton - league 1 team with rubbish training ground, if Poyet is a success will have choice of where to go.

Hmmm...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arsenal - established premiership team in champions league every season, where bar Madrid/Barca would Wenger go?
Brighton - league 1 team with rubbish training ground, if Poyet is a success will have choice of where to go.

Hmmm...

That is in 2010 who can say what the situation will be in 2014.

Who would have said when we played Liverpool in the early 60s what they would have achieved by the mid 60s.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Hmmm...

The club have said they are looking into a new training facility, Bloom as backed a £97 million stadium whats to say he won't spend 10+ million into a first class training ground and youth acadamy elsewhere in Sussex.

I don't believe Poyet would have signed such a long contract unless he was convinced of Bloom's commitment to building a new training ground and the setting up of a youth acadamy.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
İbrahim Tatlıses;3616184 said:
Everyone raved about how Wilkins boys' were special, but in hindsight most of them wouldn't get into our team now because they were trained to play dull, league one football and that is where most of them have ended up or lower. If we are to produce quality players, they need to be taught quality football at a young age.

Harsh. When Wilkins was in charge we would often play different formations, and in the same match. The players were able to do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports