Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Those flats were part of my paper round in the early 70s :eek:
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=38333" target="_blank">Swansman</a></u>, in case you hadn't guessed, GB is trying to put you off, horrified that he might bump into you while he's out on his skateboard, or walking the Doberman.

I lived in Portslade from 1963 till I went to uni in 76, and then on and off (holidays) till 79. My little brother still lives there so I visit from time to time.

The parts north of the Old Shoreham Road are a big lump of 1950s semi detached houses, many with loft extensions, many with the front garden turned into parking spaces for the white van, with a new tranche of 1990s housing to the North, in what were fields when I was a lad. Then there is the Old Village (which has next to nothing in it except the imposing Le Carbone factory which is now flats). Beyond that is Mile Oak, which is just dull housing. Of all of that, the area round East Hill park is OK suburbia, albeit East Hill drive is unattractive former council houses and the road a rat run.

South of the Old Shoreham Road is older, lots of Victorian terraced housing, pokey roads, and then the long shopping street, which has three names depending which part (or even side) you are on: Carlton Terrace; Boundary Road; Station Road - and this divides Portslade from Hove. There is a station there where the likes of me and @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=37530" target="_blank">monty uk</a></u> would schlep into Brighton in search of elusive flesh pots and excitement.

All in all there were (and probably are) no amenities to speak of. Easthill Park is nice (especially if you a connoisseur of dog shit). There is a good walk up over the downs to the Shephard and Dog pub in Fulking (http://shepherdanddogpub.co.uk/), but it's quite a schlep and I can see you walking back after chucking out time and dying of exposure, dangling where your parka snagged on stray barbed wire fencing. You can walk down Boundry road to get to the sea, and the promenade there is nice (you may well bump into GB there, skateboarding or walking his Doberman).

Would I move back there again? No. Certainly not.

Having lived 3 doors from HWT and known him as sprog.....I concur with all he says....especially the last line.

I visit my father ocasionally who unfortunatly cant move from the cemetary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Portslade's nowhere near as bad as some are making out! (although despite my username I've not lived there in a good while now) Boundary Rd has its characters for sure but definitely changing for the better, the by-sea area just north of the port has lovely old terraced housing, the Benfield area plenty of streets with big old housing, Portslade old village is lovely, Mile Oak has seen better days but hardly that bad... Not sure where the hate's coming from. not the most exciting part of town to end up in after arriving in the area for the first time, but easy to travel into the Downs, Hove/Brighton and west to Shoreham etc.

It's a bit tongue in cheek. I'm always happy to visit. The vista from Foredown Drive with the sea ahead is wonderful. When I was a kid there were power station chimneys to the right, one set very similar to those at Battersea. Easthill Park was brilliant fun. And the beach was a brisk but enjoyable walk away. The golf course was intact when I was a kid (no Sainsbury's) and we spent many a happy hour there, experimenting with home made gun powder being one particular favourite, before we graduated to cigarettes. The walnut tree at the bottom of the horse field up at East Hill was interesting. And, as my old pal Lee Smith told me, when we were 6, there is a tunnel from East Hill House, via St Nicks, that connects to an underground secret harbour in Shoreham, with submarines. His dad, also, so he told me, and as I have mentioned before, once titted off the queen :eek:

Oh, and it was always BN42, for me ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having lived 3 doors from HWT and known him as sprog.....I concur with all he says....especially the last line.

I visit my father ocasionally who unfortunatly cant move from the cemetary.

Arthur. Top man :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a bit tongue in cheek. I'm always happy to visit. The vista from Foredown Drive with the sea ahead is wonderful. When I was a kid there were power station chimneys to the right, one set very similar to those at Battersea. Easthill Park was brilliant fun. And the beach was a brisk but enjoyable walk away. The golf course was intact when I was a kid (no Sainsbury's) and we spent many a happy hour there, experimenting with home made gun powder being one particular favourite, before we graduated to cigarettes. The walnut tree at the bottom of the horse field up at East Hill was interesting. And, as my old pal Lee Smith told me, when we were 6, there is a tunnel from East Hill House, via St Nicks, that connects to an underground secret harbour in Shoreham, with submarines. His dad, also, so he told me, and as I have mentioned before, once titted off the queen :eek:

Oh, and it was always BN42, for me ???

Titted off?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Actually thinking about it, I lived with my gran for six months when I was about 4 on church road, she lived on the ground floor closest to the church, of the then Peabody trust flats set back next to what is now the south portslade community centre, It used to be a church back then. (Can’t think of the name) she got the flat after grandad died (he was vicar at St Barnabas on Sackville Road near the Goldstone). I was playing in the back garden once and some kids were nicking slates (lead I think) off the roof and they threatened me to keep quite.
I snitched, needless to say, and too this day think of it as the grubby part of Hove.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you look at a map between Worthing and Brighton, its pretty much all connected. Some good areas and bad areas in all parts, I think.
Some snobbery here about how good Hove and Brighton are compared to the rest. My experience of the homeless demanding me money around Brighton confirms my view.
I like peaceful Worthing, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Agree. I like Shoreham / Lancing. Unfortunately, so do half of the ****ing South East of England in the last five years if the apartment blocks springing up all over the riverside are anything to go by. . :angry:

The developers who have the old Civic Centre plot are hoping to build an 11 storey tower block there. If that goes ahead Shoreham as we know it is a goner :down:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I used to meet my dealer in there...probably a few posters on here will know who it was. He drove flash cars and always had pretty blonde girls in the passenger seat - noshing him off in all likelihood.

I'm still here, just turned my life around:lol:

Well fair play to you for that. After all, noshing off drug dealers is no life at all.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yup. BN41 post codes. Woody Cook went to Portslade Infants.

And to BHASVIC where he tried to chat up Miss WS who didn't realise who he was until a friend told her - I'd have been made for life :facepalm:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s all relative. IMO, Portslade is more fun than Middlesbrough, but less fun than Croydon.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agree. I like Shoreham / Lancing. Unfortunately, so do half of the ****ing South East of England in the last five years if the apartment blocks springing up all over the riverside are anything to go by. . :angry:

The developers who have the old Civic Centre plot are hoping to build an 11 storey tower block there. If that goes ahead Shoreham as we know it is a goner :down:

My old employers ( who were CJTCs ) took the office block on that site. A certain Mr Mayo used to work for them as well.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I saw Milton Jones live once in Brighton. One of his jokes was “I had an aunt who lived in Whitehawk who told me she hid all of her money under her mattress. I suppose it’s quite sensible, nobody would look for money in her front garden.” Crowd laughs and then one guy starts shouting out about how Whitehawk is a shithole. Obviously he didn’t get that it was the joke.

Milton Jones asks where he’s from.

“Portslade” he shouts, clearly full of pride.

The whole crowd pissed themselves laughing, and in a lot of ways I think that’s the best way to sum up Portslade

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I've heard from British students over here that pizza over there is both quite expensive and usually not very good. Think I'd generally go for more British food if I stayed there a few months, part of the experience is to adapt to the culture.

Pizzas here are shite unless you can find an Italian restaurant run by real Italians.

They also don't serve that wonderful pizza salad that you get in Sweden. Awesome stuff.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pizzas here are shite unless you can find an Italian restaurant run by real Italians.

They also don't serve that wonderful pizza salad that you get in Sweden. Awesome stuff.

There are loads of good pizza places in the Brighton area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here