[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I was born in Portslade and lived there the first 10 years of my life. I loved it, it was a perfect place to live when young, as it was safe, loads of places to play, a half decent school and a lot of very nice people. Always in my heart.
*Mind you I’m talking about the area around Mill Lane, the bit down near the sea always seemed a bit rough!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
And no mentions of the pizza options which surely [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] would be interested in.

The Deliveroo "editions" kitchen on Olive Road means Portslade is well covered for pizza. Plus PapaJohns on Station Road.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Portslade is absolutely fine to live in but probably not particularly fun for someone coming over here for the first time, it's more a place to settle down

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Loxdale, where the language school is based is nice,

loxdale.jpg

and I know that HWT likes to talk up Easthill but it was never the same after they shut down Easthill Yoof club :(

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Portslade use to have a nice Town Hall and it’s very own Police Station with cells, any of the maturer posters on here ever get out in the old Police Station cells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Having grown up in Portslade and attended Portslade Infant School (Brackenbury) & St. Nicholas Junior school I can confirm that the Swedish folk school is just over the fence . Portslade is fine and like most places has some run down areas that don't look so good on a grim mid winters day much the same as all the posters home towns on here that are running it down. However, I would advise do NOT go to Hastings as previously advised !

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Portslade use to have a nice Town Hall and it’s very own Police Station with cells, any of the maturer posters on here ever get out in the old Police Station cells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, but I remember being shown the cells in the old Hove Town Hall by a fierce looking custody sergeant who was looking to teach a six year old not to go wandering off down the lagoon until 9.00 at night in the summer holidays.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I've never been able to quite locate where/what Portslade actually is. I know it exists somewhere but assumed it was a suburb of Brighton or Hove rather than an actual town.

But then I spent a year playing for Mile Oak and I still have no real idea where the **** that is either.

For the purpose of the OP I'm sure Portslade is fine. Wherever it is in the Brighton conurbation it's not going to be too far from the sea or the countryside or from the centre of Brighton.

My apologies to anyone who lives in/is from Portslade or Mile Oak and is offended by my ignorance of their locale. Or indeed whether they are a part of Brighton/Hove or separate entities.

God help you if you ever have to find Fishersgate then, which from my recollection is roughly the size of a postage stamp and lingers between Portslade between and Southwick like a bad smell.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm thinking about doing this thing - https://www.folkhogskola-england.se/ - studying on a "folk high school", three months in Sweden and three months (28 March to June something) in Portslade. While it says it is only 8 minutes by train from Brighton (and one hour from London but who wants to go there?), if I know myself correctly I'll primarly spend my days within walking distance, meaning the joys of Portslade would be important.

My primary hobbies include:
- Football
- Drinking
- Smoking all sorts of things (not massively important but a plus)
- Women
- Walking in nature

So basically I'm wondering if there is any local football team there? Any good pubs? Are people in Portslade the... smoking kind of people? Are the ladies nice? Is there some good parks and other recreational areas?

isn't that a girls school?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Hmm... tbf the host families seems to be more spread out, the only thing is that everyone is "within 25 minutes of walk from a bus going to Portslade" so I might not have to live in Portslade itself.

But I get the general impression, behind those careful words, that Portslade may not be fantastic.

Portslade isn’t that bad really, but it’s very boring, they don’t have a football club or a ground, there’s a big park named after Victoria, which I have long thought would be a great place for a football stadium. It’s a very working class area, if you can imagine what that means. There’s a couple of ‘proper’ pubs in the old village part, Swedish students seem to use them. There’s an old and ruined medieval manor, built by a Norman and some old churches. There’s a KFC and Subway on the main high street bit right next to the station. Err, that’s about it really and it’s not as nice as its neighbour Southwick:p

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
God help you if you ever have to find Fishersgate then, which from my recollection is roughly the size of a postage stamp and lingers between Portslade between and Southwick like a bad smell.

I have bad memories of Fishersgate. The only time I've knowingly gone there was for an U-16 game. We got stuffed about 8-0.

It's just a train station between somewhere and somewhere else isn't it?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Is Millionaires row classed as Portslade?

I mean its perfectly nice area of Brighton and Hove to live, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone coming to visit the town. Unless you used it as a base as its cheap accommodation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports