Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is PIG as good as we thought?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apart from being a good shot stopper he has nothing else to his game. Not the best at coming for crosses and kicks like hes never kicked a ball before. This is not a "drop him" thread. Just an observation.

I think this is a bit harsh. I would agree he's having a poor spell, but he has set high standards so it is more noticeable.

Shot stopping is good, I think in general he commands his area very well and his kicking, whilst sounding really poor today, has always been his least convincing attribute anyway.

For me he remains comfortably better than Casper and Brez.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What, why? Coaches need to take some responsibility over how their players are performing, Kusz is losing form & Ankergren had a shocker. Just speculation really.

Not an unreasonable one either. Kicking wise, the goalkeeping coach struggles himself and that's just hitting crosses in the warm up.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
He IS the best we - or most other championship clubs - have got (I can only think of Steele, Bogdan and Butland as better), but I don't suppose a spell out would do him any harm - a chance for him to recharge and also a chance to prove that he's not indispensable. Casper hasn't let himself down when given the opportunity this season, and I don't think think he would if he got a prolonged chance. Football is becoming more and more a squad game, and it might be time to shuffle the pack, albeit for a short time.

Casper was out of touch with 1st team football & at error for the 3rd last week when he was played for the quaint but misguided 'cup game keeper' scenario ie play him, but not for the next 16, very useful strategy
So, PIG has a rest and makes an error, maybe because he was out of practice also. A keeper doesn't need to rest weary kegs but keep their eye in & bond with his defence
A draw last week would have earned us £1m & a loss today has hurt playoff chances significantly.
Too much tinkering & trying to be 'clever'
Backfired x2

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ankergren shipped 3 goals in 5 matches last season, Kuszczak has shipped 3 goals, 4 times including today, so seems about evens to me.

Kuszczak has shipped three goals five times this season (he was in goal v swindon, too).

Kuszcak averages 1.21 goals per game (1.14 in the league) 8 clean sheets this season
This season Ankergren averages 1.5 goals per game (last season 1.14) 8 clean sheets last season
Brezovan averages 1 goal per game (last season 1.25) 8 clean sheets last season

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Thank f***.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not an unreasonable one either. Kicking wise, the goalkeeping coach struggles himself and that's just hitting crosses in the warm up.

As a sports coach myself, I take a keen interest in the warm ups. At today's match it was evident to me that our goal-keeping coach has some sort of injury. He did no more than a slow walk and a gentle toe-poke to pass the ball - he had Brez do all the kicking for PIG and Casper to warm up with, crosses, half-volleys etc.

Anyone know what's wrong with the GK coach?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As a sports coach myself, I take a keen interest in the warm ups. At today's match it was evident to me that our goal-keeping coach has some sort of injury. He did no more than a slow walk and a gentle toe-poke to pass the ball - he had Brez do all the kicking for PIG and Casper to warm up with, crosses, half-volleys etc.

Anyone know what's wrong with the GK coach?

Maybe, but this has been from the word go at Maidstone. All the warm up crosses that are put in are floated rather than 'pinged' , he would be better off getting a Development squad member to help out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:flameboun:flameboun

Think the answer is a 'yes'

Aidan Newhouse scored two in a game. Once. :thumbsup:

Kuszczak has been fantastic the last few games, a welcome return to confidence. Shame he didn't play against Arsenal, how different it could have been...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In answer to the original question: No. He's better. Too good for this division.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Class keeper shot stopping wise. My only concern is when the ball is at his feet. Still very happy to have him here

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
i idolised kuipers but he wasnt a patch on koosh. got to be albion all time top ten in terms of pure quality.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Better than we hoped for......greatest goalkeeper signing.....and I've seen many

*cough* Mark Walton. If he had not left the Albion to star in the remake of The Munsters he would rightly be proclaimed our greatest ever keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here