Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is Orlandi still warming up? Vicente

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Thought Vicente all too often looked on the toes of Spanish dave who as a result was a passenger in the game. Think we look more balanced with Orlandi in the starting 11 and Vicente as an impact player off the bench which also helps give the team and crowd a lift

Agree with this
I think the team is used to Spanish Dave on set pieces.
Vicente having the majority today did us little favors.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Hypothetically then, if Vicente was on the bench tonight who would you have put in his place? Im guessing 90% will say orlandi............. Would it have acheived anything better... i dont think so....

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No credit for the way that the Charlton defence coped with our play then? They're a good side away from home.

I think thats a fair point... Thought charlton were poor going forward but decent defensivley...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ive only ever seen Vicente play once, at Bolton, and for what its worth, i thought Brighton give him the ball to much, sometimes even when he had 3 or 4 players around him, surely they must realise that means that we have 2 or 3 players in space elsewhwere!
I dont doubt for a minute that the guy is a bit special, but that just seemed plain stupid to me, every team we play against know hes a bit special at this standard and are going to be watching him very closely. Also for what its worth that was another game we completely dominated but came away with nothing.
I agree with others use him as an impact sub, he is capable of doing the outstanding, but we also need to learn when to give him the ball and more importantly when not to. I apologise if it is not like that everytime he plays but as i said i can only go on that one performance, he has always been missing any other time i go lol

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I thought the same today, Vicente seems to always go for the exquisite one-excellent-through-ball option whereas the rest of the team is geared up to slowly pick their way through, so they can't quite get their positioning right.

In other words, Vicente is too good for us. :shrug:

Dave and Orlandi all the way :albion:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Another thing that pisses me off about Vicente. Why does he not bother to tackle or put pressure on? OK, he's incredibly gifted on the ball, but when we haven't got the ball, he just allows opposition players with the ball to stroll past him. This isn't an argument to try to turn him into some Navarro/Crofts/Hammond-type workhorse - just an observation that he didn't make any effort when a Charlton player had the ball in front of him (and sometimes when it was he who had lost it in the first place).

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I was hoping to see Orlandi come on for Kaz. We needed someone in other then Vicente who would be putting in decent crosses.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If Buckers put away his opengoal header from 3 yards from an exquisite Vicente cross, we'd all be saying something different. I think he was picked as he should easily outshine weak opponents, prodding and probing a stationary and many-manned backline, resting Orlandi for a few days afore his return on Saturday as well. Sometimes he pauses too often and goes down in a very european way, but his capabilities are far ahead of anyone else we have and at times his explosiveness pays dividends.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Even quality players need to be match fit, how many games has Vicente played? I hope that he has a part to play in the rest of our games this season. A match fit Vicente, should we make the playoffs would be a massive plus. I wasn't there last night but there seems to be a lot of negativity towards Vicente following the game. Does he not just need match practice? Even with what sounds like a poorish game for him it seemed from the commentary that he was involved in most of our best moments.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree with the majority. Whilst Vicente is undoubted class, he disturbs our style too much. One brilliant cross for Buckley, a couple of nice through balls. When he eventually got the ball to KLL in the 2nd half, he was so tight for space he had limited options. Defensively he offers little and we do tend to look for him every time we are in possession.

If I was going to play him, I'd leave out Buckley or KLL and play him wider, but I think coming offt he bench is about right for him at this moment.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Was disappointed in him last night. He seems to be a terrific individual player but not a team player.

Too often last night he was too close to Spanish Dave or Lua Lua and too often when we had the ball wide he wasn't in the box leaving Ulloa our only target.

Would much rather see Orlandi start and Vicente used from the bench against tired legs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Starting with Orlandi gives us an option to bring on some sparkle last night we didnt have that option as our best players were already on the pitch and being stifled. I would also have taken Bridcutt off and brought on Hammond as he was walking a tight rope with his yellow and and was fortunate to stay on the pitch as he could have easily received a 2nd yellow for persistent fouling, although I thought his yellow was little harsh from a very poor referee.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sadly the rest lose the ability to play and have to pass to him at every opportunity another game we haven't won with him playing

Whilst that has happened in the past I don't think the players do that now....he certainly didn't play well last night ...but if his shot went in last night instead of being deflected onto the bar we wudnt be talking about this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would also have taken Bridcutt off and brought on Hammond as he was walking a tight rope with his yellow and and was fortunate to stay on the pitch as he could have easily received a 2nd yellow for persistent fouling, although I thought his yellow was little harsh from a very poor referee.

Harsh!? Hahaha

He literally threw himself on the guy's back, to stop him breaking clear after our attack broke down. As clear a yellow as you'll EVER see. In fact the ref had his red card in his hand while he was speaking to him, and half the stadium were holding their breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here