Is Mo Farrah the greatest ever British sportsman?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It is most of the year not just warm weather training. Then there is the Kenya training camp. British coaching facilities not good enough for him? I don't see Jessica Ennis-Hill or Greg Rutherford listing the USA as their main place of residence. The facilities up in sheffield are more than adequate for them both.

Are you going to have a go at Andy Murray too for training in Florida? If I was an elite distance runner I wouldn't be training in British winter conditions. Kenya sounds perfect, great weather and altitude too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Also, the point about his residence in the States is trivial. He resides there because it allows him to do warm weather training which is important to your success in long distance running. Not really an option in the UK in late November when people are wearing their thermals.

i dont know the reasons for training in Oregon, but it certainly isnt warm weather, its temperatures are pretty similar to ours.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Redgrave, Bannister, Coe, Thompson and many others. Mo is very, very good, but he is not British, he runs under a British flag, end of discussion.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
He lives in the states most of the year and he lists portland USA as his main residence.

I don't understand the point....he lives in the states most of the year because he is trained by Alberto Salazar at the Nike Oregon project! Along with Kenya its the best place to train for a long distance runner in the world which is why he is there.

We don't have a comparable training facility in the UK.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Some people have a very antiquated view of nationality if someone who came to the UK since primary school and was educated here and speaks with a North London accent is seen as not British.

Given how much people move around the world now through their parents' choices and then as adults their own choices due to the freedom of movement now available, nationality is far more complex than it was 2 generations ago where it was black and white unless you happened to be born overseas due to a parent being in the services.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wiggins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Some people have a very antiquated view of nationality if someone who came to the UK since primary school and was educated here and speaks with a North London accent is seen as not British.

Given how much people move around the world now through their parents' choices and then as adults their own choices due to the freedom of movement now available, nationality is far more complex than it was 2 generations ago where it was black and white unless you happened to be born overseas due to a parent being in the services.

Joe,surely nationality has to first formost where you are born ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
In my book you should either be born in Britain or have one British parent in order to call yourself British in terms of international classification for sport. I don't have a problem with British residency from abroad, but struggle to understand how overseas sportspeople are able to pick and choose which country they compete for.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Daley Thompson.

The decathlon is the hardest individual sport and he was the king.

When he arrived back in Crawley circa 1980 with his gold medal there was nobody to meet him. When that little c unt Minter returned to Crawley there was bunting. I lived there at the time. Minter's dad used to large it in the pub where I worked.. 100% nasy piece of work. The pub was littered with NF leaflets every Saturday lunchtime. Is Crawley still a nasty little racist shit hole?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Phil THE POWER Taylor judging by all the titles he has won

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports