Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mo Farrah the greatest ever British sportsman?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I
What a load of rubbish. The race yesterday was tactically brilliant, and that has to be a skill. There was one point where Mo, with about 400 metres to go, drew level with the leader, almost as a reminder that he was still there, and then fell back again. His finishing speed, as well, is not just about running. The man is an inspiration in all sorts of ways, and is certainly up there with a shout.

1. You mistake tactics for skill. Two different things
2. Hardly anyone belongs to an athletics club and plays athletics seriously. Athletics is what the BBC promote (like women's football) because it is all they are left with after sky have taken all the sports that anyone actually plays and are interested in . Athletics is something people do as a fun run and raising money for charity.
3. A sportsman ? It needs skill and we all know what they look like. They kick a football and be skilful at football one day, then they pick up a golf club and be naturally good at that as well and the same with a range of sports. Running, cycling and rowing are forms of transport the require endurance, training and the like. They dont require skill. That is not to say that all ball sports require skill, they dont, look at the sort of people who play rugby. That is a ball sport that doesnt need sportsmen, just a body shape.
4. He might be your inspiration (I used to like Steve Ovett) but that is a different thing.

I don't totally agree, but I certainly see what you're getting at.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Phil Taylor. You can say its only darts but he has been at the top of his game for so long. No one comes close to his record.

Yes, it is only darts, and darts is a recreational activity, not a sport. Like bowls, bar billiards, shove halfpenny and dominoes.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yes, it is only darts, and darts is a recreational activity, not a sport. Like bowls, bar billiards, shove halfpenny and dominoes.
Not sure I agree with this. Darts is a great skill. Have you tried to get a treble 20 ? its not easy. 16 times world champion and competing with the young generation today in his mid 50's. Muhammad Ali would be proud of this record in his sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whatever the merits of the nationality issue, his biology/physiology is that of a Somalian and not someone from northern Europe/Britain.

Comments like that instantly remind me of this Discovery Channel documentary from way back in the day:-

514WB6C4DWL._SY300_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here