Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Mitoma our most skillful player ever?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The sorry state of this forum!!

Yes, Vicente was exceptional but not much of an impact. For me it has to be Peter Ward. Could go past anyone, had a turn of pace and his goals in 76/77 go us promoted. Can't believe no one has mentioned him. Appreciate that many will be too young.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
People over estimating Vicente.

OK, very good player of course and a terrific CV before he came here, but remember we were starved of seeing proper skill in those days and we were up against lesser players. Don't forget just how far we've come since then

Mitoma a much better and more skilful player. To be able to dribble at that speed, he's almost certainly one of the top 5 or 10 most skillful players currently playing

Possibly earlier in his career Vicente was somewhere near, but not while he was with us

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I remember telling some Spanish friends excitedly that we had signed Vicente and they smiled and slowly shook their heads. They had him down as a sick-note and let me down gently. Fabulous player in his day but well past it when he came to us unfortunately.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Players are skilful in different ways. Mitoma doesn't need stepovers or elásticos to bamboozle a defender. A feint, a shift of body weight and a burst of pace is all he needs. And all the while the ball is glued to his foot. A bit like Ryan Giggs or, dare I say it, Vicente.

Plus he can finish. Which other player could've scored that goal he got against Liverpool? You know the one I mean. Or the goal against Wolves the other day.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
and Clive Walker
Ahh, old Flash! I’ll always remember him tearing Millwall a new one in the play offs back in the day. Nearly got a kicking when he fell into the away seats in the South after one of his rapid runs to boot!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Mitoma - World class dribbling, world class change of pace. Our most skilful ever player? Easily.
I cannot think of any other player that can so consistently run past Premier League defenders from a standing start.
These defenders know what he’s going to try to do but they can’t stop him, even by fouling him.
Don‘t insult the man with comparisons to the myth that is Vicente.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Can I just say a big well done to everyone on this thread who has mentioned Vicente, as opposed to Vincente! (Unless I've missed one - in which case BOOOOOOO to the Vincente mention :lolol:)

WRT the opening question, it definitely depends on how we are defining skilful, so I am tempted by the FENCE, but Enciso has the best tekkers IMO, so probably him.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
He’s the most skilful and scariest to the opposition currently and we are top of the league and in Europe so yes he is the Albion’s most skilful ever player, so far.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Nobody ever tiptoed through the opposition defense and then finished/assisted better than Mitoma AT THIS LEVEL. We had Vicente who tiptoed past everyone vs Derby and hit the bar in the Championship. We had Kazenga Lua Lua who bamboozled defenders and finished it in league 1 on occasion. Mitoma is off the chain.
…. Yeah?

And then there was Peter Smith.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
And that was when he was on OUR side :lolol:

Back OT, when you see them playing that game on the tennis table thing Teqball ? most of our squad are frighteningly skillful

Yes, teqball is such a fun way to train...i want a table for Xmas! ( and a room to use it in 🤦‍♂️).
Back off track a moment, I remember more than once being in the Goldstone north stand when Dawson bundled the ball into the back of the net...with their keeper still holding on to it! Real men...🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here