Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mike Ward 'synonymous' with the Albion?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
yeah but i never lived there , only born there !

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Ward thing was obviously meant to be a joke/play on Peter Ward.

I really enjoyed Gullhanger, but I'm not sure if the same domestic-skit "I was in the supermarket....." style works in the matchday programme though.

Something like Roz's old Sports Argus column would be better, more Albion and issue related.

Kev

Aug 4, 2003
I've nothing personally against the guy (despite the fact that he's an ex-Daily Star "journalist"), but I really didn't like 'Gullhanger' at all (we're the seagulls, not the gulls, by the way, Mike). I think this probably is mostly to do with the fact that I read the book and thought "if I met you in real life I don't think I'd like you". He reminded me of Richard Littlejohn.

He took the piss out of our club when comparing us to the 'mighty' Arsenal and also ridiculed a couple of fans on the stadium tour who knew more about our club's history than he did. Just because we play at a converted athletics stadium doesn't make us a joke. I'm not convinced he's 'Albion' at all. Who would he support if we drew Arsenal in the Cup?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think he's a top bloke :thumbsup:

Quality book. Liked the piece in the programme today. Made me laugh. Unlike reading about the droped points at Barnsley and Plymouth.

Im sure he would want the Albion to beat Arsenal.

The advert on the website was so blatantly a play on Peter Ward too.

E Block Ernie said:
Ward is a bandwagon jumping Knob who gets on my tits. Anybody who switches allegiance to another team should be strung up and not given an ounce of credibility.
Personally I think unless you were born within the boundaries of Brighton and Hove you shouldn't be allowed to support the Albion.

I'm pretty sure you're taking the piss but, just in case you're not, then I'd like to point out what a load of bollocks you've typed there.

Admittedly after reading 'Gullhanger' I had doubts about his motives but after meeting Wardy on several occasions I can say he's a top bloke. Doesn't pretend to have always followed Albion and has a genuine interest in what, as lower league fans, makes us tick. He wants to learn from us having always been relatively spoilt as an Arsenal supporter.

He also donated prizes for the charity raffle after the supporters' game with Leicester, not mention selling me a quality mobile.

As for summerising on The Albion, who says you have to support the club to do it? Christ, Andy Naylor makes his entire living from it. At least Wardy does it well.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I grew up supporting Leeds and only started watching The Albion in 91 after seeing the Ipswich game when Deano curled in the free kick and Perry Digweed saved a penalty. Its an interesting one this, I had no connection to leeds and only supported them because they won the FA cup in 72, so when I started watching Brighton at the age of 26, it felt totally different. My interest i football was rekindled by the Albion. I think in these sort of instances it is alright to change allegiance and I would never support another team now. Mike Ward is a bit of a glory hunter, but at least hes honest and doesn't ever claim to be a life long fan etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here