Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mike Ward 'synonymous' with the Albion?

Nobb Holder

Jul 9, 2003
Fitzrovia, London
A link from the official site goes to Seagull News (which I've never read so forgive me if I'm speaking out of trun) and states:

'Mike Ward, synonymous with the Albion'.

I've nothing against the bloke, and think he is a pretty good writer, but he only began supporting the club after we won the Third division and was a Gooner beforehand.

Riles me a bit that someone who has changed clubs (sacrilegious) and jumped on the bandwagon is now deemed 'a voice of the Albion'. Don't get me wrong, I love people supporting the club, the more the merrier, just not keen on people being 'synonymous' when they've only been around 5 minutes.

No offence Mike.

What does everyone think?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We don't want to get too 'yokel' and start saying you're not a 'proper' Albion fan unless your family have lived in the area for the past 900 years. As you say the more the merrier, especially media people like Ward. He's a good writer (I loved the column he used to do in the Leader about 10 years ago) but 'synonymous with the Albion?' No.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
He used to work at the Leader as a journo, then went to work for the Mail. Good writer, quite witty, lets not knock him, he's a fan!

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
If it gets us good publicity and to have a quality writer linked with the club is all good!!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The ad actually says that 'Wardy' is a name synonymous with the Albion. I think they're using the coincidence of the man's surname matching The Wardy's, rather than suggesting that 'Mike Ward is synonymous with the Albion'.

I don't have a problem with the bloke. If his work raises the club's profile, that's alright by me. Also, although I normally think switching clubs is unforgivable, you've got to understand somebody ditching their lot for the mighty stripes haven't you? :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
After becoming a fan he helped a lot with the Falmer for all campaign.

Nobb Holder

Jul 9, 2003
Fitzrovia, London
Yeah, the Wardy (Peter) link didn't immediately spring to mind.

After reading Gullhanger it worried me somewhat that he cried three times en route to the Second Division title - in his first season as a 'fan'!

If it raises the profile then great.

Aren't there already a few decent writers associated with the club?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
albiongirl said:
If it gets us good publicity and to have a quality writer linked with the club is all good!!

Couldn't agree with you more, judging by the ammount of Chelski tops in Hove yesterday (young and old) we need all the help we can get !

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As much as any book about us in glory is good, I found the whole read wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too sarcastic to ever read again - nice effort though.

That said, most TV critics spout bollocks anyway, so I wonder if he knows what he was talking about ?

Last edited:

Wez

Aug 18, 2003
Worthing
Mike Ward didnt write "Mike Ward 'synonymous' with the albion, did he. Some plank wrote it.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I have no problem with people switching allegiance from a gloryseekers Premiershite team, especially when it's to their local team. I wish more people had the guts to do it. It's one thing latching onto a fashionable club, with which you have no local connection, as a child, but another when adults do it. Funny how when questioned all they can say is "Ive always supported them!" Full marks to Mike Ward.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wez said:
Mike Ward didnt write "Mike Ward 'synonymous' with the albion, did he. Some plank wrote it.

yeah i realise that! I was just offering an opinion on the book !!!

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
Ward is a bandwagon jumping Knob who gets on my tits. Anybody who switches allegiance to another team should be strung up and not given an ounce of credibility.
Personally I think unless you were born within the boundaries of Brighton and Hove you shouldn't be allowed to support the Albion.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
so right- i was born in shoreham so by your standards i shouldn't be albion even though there not a proper team for miles .... yah gud un ! ( anyway those that are interested he also writes abit in fourfourtwo occasionally )

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
braders100 said:
so right- i was born in shoreham so by your standards i shouldn't be albion even though there not a proper team for miles .... yah gud un ! ( anyway those that are interested he also writes abit in fourfourtwo occasionally )

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Shoreham have a team ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here