Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is John Motson a good football commentator?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His commentary for the 1984 game between France and Portugal was wonderful, full of genuine emotion.

Nowadays, he packs things out with prepared soundbites and stats.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My EXPERIMENT concocted with [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] has failed already.

We were trying to answer the question, "Can NSC reach a concensus on ANYTHING?'

should have tried the question with Andy Townsend as the subject, pretty sure you'd get universal "no"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
His commentary for the 1984 game between France and Portugal was wonderful, full of genuine emotion.

Nowadays, he packs things out with prepared soundbites and stats.

Even his excitement over a Liam Brady goal 'Look at that, LOOK AT THAT...', but that kind of 'Boys' Own' stuff really ought to be consigned to yesteryear.

Nowadays, he's a man lost in his own sheepskin-laden wilderness, forever searching in vain to try to top his 'Crazy Gang have beaten the Culture Club' line since 1988, sadly reduced to having to re-hash whatever kind of verbal dexterity he once had by means of squarking at inappropriate and badly-timed moments, like a parrot being buggered by some barbed wire.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What annoys me about him is that when the replay clearly shows his first call was wrong, he sticks by it claiming the replay confirms his call, even when it clearly doesn't.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Is he the sheepskin-wearing guy who supports Wetsham and sounds like he has adenoids? If it is, he's no worse than most other commentators on ITV or Sky.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The man is a sodding legend. Big fan.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When the BBC used to show live football if motson was commentating always used to mute the TV
Always stating the obvious or getting facts wrong

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Another one of the Beebs "state the bleeding obvious" or "offers no insight into the game" pundits or commentators. Should have been canned years ago.

Carragher and especially Neville have taken punditry to a whole new level. Also, I think Souness is good value as a pundit.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I served him dinner earlier in the season while working at the Madejski earlier in the season. An incredibly polite man who has a simply vast knowledge of the game. I told him I was a Brighton fan and asked how we were doing this season. Seemed genuinely interested. Do not have a bad word against him.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Listening to the FA Cup commentary on Radio 5 and I'm pretty sure that Alan Green would have been a safe bet as a complete prat. He's such a sneering **** - on Giroud, "how does he start for France?", yes, because no good player has ever had a bad game. All his incredulity over what he perceives as wrong. Argh, he's so annoying. I'm just waiting for a moment where he makes a point of quoting his own opinion from a while ago ("I called it before Christmas, I've always said he is dangerous" etc.) as if he is a great footballing visionary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here