Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is John Motson a good football commentator?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
1. Palace fans would obviously vote yes.
2. Plenty of Man U apologists on NSC
3. Plenty of Oscar fans, and plenty more pro-Knight / anti-Bloom who will welcome any stick to beat the current board with.
4. His Mum?
5. Palace fans

Yes, I wasn't thinking of the palace fans....

It's tougher than I originally thought...

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
His isn't good, he's woeful. He must barely be able to see the pitch as he sounds constantly confused by what's going on. He's also forgotten the main role of the commentator - to describe the action for the blind. Just constant "Look at that!" exclamations like Alan Partridge. Also, EVERY mildly interesting event is prefaced by a semi-orgasmic "OH!"...

"OH and a shot, OH it's come off the post, OH and Rooney WITH THE REBOUND...OH he's missed it Mark!"

He's kept on, like Hansen, because he's a tradition, an apparent classic. He was past his sell by date approximately 20 years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely Alan Green would have been a safer bet. EVERYBODY knows he's a complete and total knobhead, don't they?

There is NOTHING that 'everybody' on NSC can agree on. I defy you to find it.

Bear in mind that there are people here who declared Jeremy Forest as 'misunderstood' and who do not think Steve Evans is a shit.

His isn't good, he's woeful. He must barely be able to see the pitch as he sounds constantly confused by what's going on. He's also forgotten the main role of the commentator - to describe the action for the blind. Just constant "Look at that!" exclamations like Alan Partridge. Also, EVERY mildly interesting event is prefaced by a semi-orgasmic "OH!"...

"OH and a shot, OH it's come off the post, OH and Rooney WITH THE REBOUND...OH he's missed it Mark!"

He's kept on, like Hansen, because he's a tradition, an apparent classic. He was past his sell by date approximately 20 years ago.

An institution.

God bless him

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He was.
He isn't.

Is the right answer i think.

He used to be superb and always one step ahead of each pass.. and then around 2000, and certainly before 2002 World Cup he totally lost his mojo. He started to question everything he said, when in reality he either:

a) Knew he was right, but didn't want to sound cocky
b) Genuinely wasn't sure

Either way it went to rats.

Not sure I like any of the current commentators really. Even Martin Tyler's voice clearly has a bias in which team he secretly wants to win a match (cue Steve Bruce brace against Sheff Weds in 92/93..."YES! Erm YES for Manchester United")

Dec 29, 2011
The general consensus from the wider public is Motson is a good commentator. Therefore the majority of people on NSC will vote for 'no' because they like to think they have intellectual superiority to the average man on the street, and there's no better way to display that than a controversial opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The general consensus from the wider public is Motson is a good commentator. Therefore the majority of people on NSC will vote for 'no' because they like to think they have intellectual superiority to the average man on the street, and there's no better way to display that than a controversial opinion.

Utter, utter horseshit, from start to finish.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Bear in mind that there are people here who declared Jeremy Forest as 'misunderstood' and who do not think Steve Evans is a shit.

"Is Harry 'Houdini' Redknapp a good manager or a media-backed, bankrupting crook?" ought to do it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Is Harry 'Houdini' Redknapp a good manager or a media-backed, bankrupting crook?" ought to do it

No chance. There are a significant number who not only rate the guy, but would welcome him to the Albion. Plenty on here wanted him to get the England job - not as many as the papers would have you believe, but plenty.

I don't doubt you (and this poll proves it!), but if I had to pick three most likely topics it would probably be:

I) Bill Archer = knob
II) Billy Davis = knob
III) Scott McGleish = knob

Basically, I think you've got to pick a football-related idiot and cross your fingers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
ok - How about "If someone said to you 'Here's £1m in cash. It's totally legit (and it is). You can have it, with no strings attached. After you receive it, you can do whatever you want with it, including giving it away to charity. If you don't take it, I'm going to burn it.", would you take the cash? Y/N

EDIT: Oh, and the person offering you the cash isn't mentally ill.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No chance. There are a significant number who not only rate the guy, but would welcome him to the Albion. Plenty on here wanted him to get the England job - not as many as the papers would have you believe, but plenty.

Possibly not now he's made a mess of automatic promotion this year, with by FAR the best squad and most resources in the league.
I don't believe there's a single Albion fan who would welcome him here.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He is always trying for the soundbite whenever it looks like a goal might go in. ROOONEEEEYYYYYYY. It is always a miss.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ok - How about "If someone said to you 'Here's £1m in cash. It's totally legit (and it is). You can have it, with no strings attached. After you receive it, you can do whatever you want with it, including giving it away to charity. If you don't take it, I'm going to burn it.", would you take the cash? Y/N

EDIT: Oh, and the person offering you the cash isn't mentally ill.

I'm sure one of the tinfoil-hatters could come up with some kind of hatstand argument for turning it down. "Its a trick, from The Man, trying to buy us off, into subservience, etc, blah, wibble"

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] seems to have united feeling on his thread. As close as you'll get to a consensus?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm sure one of the tinfoil-hatters could come up with some kind of hatstand argument for turning it down. "Its a trick, from The Man, trying to buy us off, into subservience, etc, blah, wibble"

Final attempt: You have to choose - Scarlett Johansson or Quasimodo. Which?

Surely even the straight women and gay men would choose Scarlett? No football rivalries would come into it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Final attempt: You have to choose - Scarlett Johansson or Quasimodo. Which?

Surely even the straight women and gay men would choose Scarlett? No football rivalries would come into it.

Good effort.

But, there will be at least one god-fearing female poster who would vote Quasi, because homosexuality is a SIN.

Or someone who will point out that Quasi had a heart of gold, and that looks are 'unimportant'.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Reluctantly I voted no.

I think he's lost it now, but he's still highly entertaining (if for the wrong reasons.)

I think he was a good commentator, but probably has to be replaced.

I wouldn't expect it. I reckon BBC Football is run by a cadre of 'old farts' to use a Will Carling term. I never understood why Colin Murray was replaced on MOTD2 by that total idiot Mark Chapman. I thought Murray was dead right for Sunday night. Knew his stuff; asked the right questions; cheeky and entertaining - just right for the Sunday close to the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here