Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry but the hatred and rivalry is in our DNA - it can't just be dropped.

It isn't in our DNA. It only started in January 1963 when a snowman created by Palace was knocked over by mischievous Albion fans during our 2-1 defeat. Then Palace fans took revenge at the friendly ten years later.

We'd gone through over 60 years as a club without the Brighton v Palace thing.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It isn't in our DNA. It only started in January 1963 when a snowman created by Palace was knocked over by mischievous Albion fans during our 2-1 defeat. Then Palace fans took revenge at the friendly ten years later.

For most people it is in there DNA because they are not that old.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How can it be 'dropped'? The fans will decide whether or not it persists. It really belongs to the 70s/80s and I'm amazed it's lasted this long, but all clubs have their rivals. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What?? Drop the rivalry with that small South London club, leaving them to fight it out with a club more their own size in Millwall? I'm in if the rest of you are.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I like the assertion that we could drop the rivallry as if everyone could just turn off their emotions and treat a Palace match like it was Burton Albion in a dead rubber !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What?? Drop the rivalry with that small South London club, leaving them to fight it out with a club more their own size in Millwall? I'm in if the rest of you are.

Go on then,also may i suggest we say at the start of every season,it's only the taking part that counts,we have no chance of winning anything either.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

Problem being that not many of us remember that. We went through a thousand years without the NHS, we wouldn't drop that would we ? Oh wait...

Owen2002

Jun 25, 2012
Sussex
It just showed we are't perfect as many of us thought....... Maybe me included!!!! Lets play the game on the pitch to prove we actually are !!!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Problem being that not many of us remember that. We went through a thousand years without the NHS, we wouldn't drop that would we ? Oh wait...

I was questioning whether it was in our DNA (as in so embedded), not whether it should be 'dropped.'

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

Yes it is.

Rivalry and banter are good for gates and as an extra motivation for players (although they should never need it). Hatred has no place in football. I love football and have been a season ticket holder for years, but I do not really enjoy matches against Palace (even when we win!). because the atmosphere is toxic.

Frankly, I am surprised no one has been killed in the name of 'mutual hatred' - and if Poogate serves any good purpose, it may just be that it gets our fans to recognise that supporters other clubs are people - and they have the same passion and commitment as we do. I am not in the least bit interested in Crystal Palace Football Club - I use my time and energy to support the Albion,

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Rivalry yes, hatred no.

I find that at work, Palace and Brighton fans tend to actually be drawn together by the banter, it's somewhere we all know the references. I would much rather someone supported Palace than Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal etc., but it doesn't mean I wasn't desperate to win on Monday, and really want Watford to win at Wembley. It's not hatred though, it's banter and rivalry. And whoever was involved with poogate is a very very sad individual.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
There's a big difference between a rivalry between two clubs that sees each one determined to beat the other and the sort of threatening nonsense, often leading to a really bitter hatred, that we get from certain supporters of both sides. If nothing else will make them think twice , perhaps they should ask themselves just how much it has cost each club to police two the home games this season. I would guess that as a minimum it's in the region of £50000 per club. Is that really money well spent?

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Rivalry yes, hatred no.

I find that at work, Palace and Brighton fans tend to actually be drawn together by the banter, it's somewhere we all know the references. I would much rather someone supported Palace than Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal etc., but it doesn't mean I wasn't desperate to win on Monday, and really want Watford to win at Wembley. It's not hatred though, it's banter and rivalry. And whoever was involved with poogate is a very very sad individual.

This.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
another one that needs to stay away, what posturing and aggro are you talking about???
regards
DR

If you read what I said, I clearly stated that I wanted the rivalry to remain but wished for more peaceful demeanor from both sets of fans. Why should I stay away? Don't mistake not wanting to fight Palace with a lack of passion.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012

Harsh CM - we stayed with you during the Withdean years...

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

Please do one, it's in the genes to hate Palace!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I reckon the rivalry started in the late seventies when we played them and had a referee called Ron Challis. who at the time gave some pretty dodgy decisions against usin a particular game against Palace. The angst was at that time against him with songs such as ' we hate challis and we hate challis etc. But this pseudo hatred of people we don't know is really strange, your right I think it need to stop. I served during the Falklands yet I don't hate Leo, so some people just need to get over it!!

Actually on the Falklands during the war , or just served elsewhere whilst the conflict was taking place ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports