Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Ban all derbies! Who really want's to sit down and watch barca v real, city v united, liverpool v everton, rangers v celtic etc!

Why can't they all be buddies and have a nice quiet game with no passion? I for one and sick and tired of passionate crowds singing and making a noise!

Ugh it interferes with my prawn sarnies!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If you even need to ask I don't need to answer.

So you think it makes me a lesser fan because I have to ask why you think violence, vandalism, abuse of children etc is ok? I'm obviously missing something because you think I shouldn't have to ask so could you please explain it to me? I would genuinely like to know

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?

I reckon the rivalry started in the late seventies when we played them and had a referee called Ron Challis. who at the time gave some pretty dodgy decisions against usin a particular game against Palace. The angst was at that time against him with songs such as ' we hate challis and we hate challis etc. But this pseudo hatred of people we don't know is really strange, your right I think it need to stop. I served during the Falklands yet I don't hate Leo, so some people just need to get over it!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:facepalm:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
why can't we have the rivalry but without the faux "hatred" (so pathetic)

If there's no hatred it's not a rivalry.

This is what football is all about. I accept that not everyone wants to get involved, some just want to turn up and watch a match, some want everyone to hold hands and sing Kum ba yah together - that's fine.

There will always be others who want to take it a bit more seriously, no amoput of bleating on the internet will stop it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Poogate is just very weird.

Chucking coins for example, that's disgusting.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I reckon the rivalry started in the late seventies when we played them and had a referee called Ron Challis. who at the time gave some pretty dodgy decisions against usin a particular game against Palace. The angst was at that time against him with songs such as ' we hate challis and we hate challis etc. But this pseudo hatred of people we don't know is really strange, your right I think it need to stop. I served during the Falklands yet I don't hate Leo, so some people just need to get over it!!

The rivalry had started before the late seventies.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Ban all derbies! Who really want's to sit down and watch barca v real, city v united, liverpool v everton, rangers v celtic etc!

Why can't they all be buddies and have a nice quiet game with no passion? I for one and sick and tired of passionate crowds singing and making a noise!

Yes, I should have used a different word to rivalry in my OP perhaps. I love the passion, the singing etc etc but why does this have to, in 2013, spill over into violence etc and need hundreds of Police to keep fans apart? I'm all for passionate rivalry but that doesn't have to mean hatred and violence surely?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Trouble is my friend, the players are here for the money and don't get it. Even our esteemed manager said earlier this year why is everyone so intent on beating Palace when beating Birmingham will bring the same outcome, trouble is we duffed that as well! How many of Arsenals foreign legion get that the Tottenham game is a derby when they are swapping shirts at halftime, hugging each other and laughing. The derby is now a figment and a media term to encourage viewing figures and I reckon you have bought my friend.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
slap_zps7f12c480.gif

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've never felt as bad after a football match as I did last Monday. That was real, I will never forget how they made me feel for as long as I live and I will always hate them for it, I don't care how irrational or futile that sounds and I don't care if people of a certain demographic don't understand it. Each to their own.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Absolutely. We've blown it as far as I'm concerned anyway. The poo thing is a step too far. Disgusting, embarrassing, brain dead morons who did this have given the rivalry game to Palace. Very disillusioned and now I think losing was the fairest result. We deserve it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Watford might beat them and we can have another plop, sorry pop, next season.
:lolol:

No, NEVER! You can do what you like, real fans will always hate Palarse. I will never forget the 70s.

I was there in the 70's but it is time to forget ( you will notice I wrote forget not forgive) but I look at it like this they will be the grass like all others that we will eventually mow down on our way to the promised land

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
If there's no hatred it's not a rivalry.

This is what football is all about. I accept that not everyone wants to get involved, some just want to turn up and watch a match, some want everyone to hold hands and sing Kum ba yah together - that's fine.

There will always be others who want to take it a bit more seriously, no amoput of bleating on the internet will stop it.

Unfortunately you are entirely correct. I was forgetting that both Palace and Albion have a significant number of supporters who are of low intelligence are emotionally challenged, still wish to live in the past and have no regard for others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here