Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Madness. You can't just call off a rivalry.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Why would you drop a rivalry ?? Without that it all becomes much more sterile, and dare I say 'plastic'. Its what gets the blood going, the nerves jangling and the games are the first you look for when the fixtures come out. Those that take it too far have their own issues and I'd suggest the creator of 'poogate' has borderline mental health issues and needs society to look after him.

But for the rest of us a healthy rivalry / banter / abuse is all part of the fun.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So the job of Palace is to come down here and lose? What about our tragic play, missed opportunities, flawed strategies, lack of motivation, clearly lesser fitness and stationary plan! We got beat because we didn't take our chances and didn't want it enough. Your hatred of Palace is misplaced, you should look closer to home for our defeat.

What on earth are you on about? I know exactly why we lost. They were better than us. I just said I could have have accepted the defeat more if it hadn't been Palace.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
So for all the years Brighton were struggling to stay in the FL and Palace were in the top 2 divisions, did you want CPFC to end the rivalry then? I was a bit too young at the time to remember every little detail, but I certainly remember getting stuck into the rivalry whenever possible, even if we did never play you other than a friendly at The Goldstone.

You're having an absolute mare of a week but you should be thankful there has been a rivalry at all, when Charlton dropped off our radar (due to their Premier League years mainly) it killed the majority of animosity at our end and in no way has the same excitement as when we face each other.

Whether you like it or not, Palace and Brighton will be rivals for years to come.

Seagull Baz

May 18, 2013
Sheffield
Keep the friendly rivalry but get rid of the hate.

I have some fantastic banter with a Palace fan and this ramps up before every BHA v Palace game, and that's what footballs all about. He has bragging rights now but knows this is borrowed time, as I've had them since the 3-0 massacre last time we faced them in the League.

Football is forged on great rivalries.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
So for all the years Brighton were struggling to stay in the FL and Palace were in the top 2 divisions, did you want CPFC to end the rivalry then? I was a bit too young at the time to remember every little detail, but I certainly remember getting stuck into the rivalry whenever possible, even if we did never play you other than a friendly at The Goldstone.

You're having an absolute mare of a week but you should be thankful there has been a rivalry at all, when Charlton dropped off our radar (due to their Premier League years mainly) it killed the majority of animosity at our end and in no way has the same excitement as when we face each other.

Whether you like it or not, Palace and Brighton will be rivals for years to come.

I want to like you but you're Palace.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
the thing that really got to me about losing to palace was that for years, we have been playing football in the basement divisions having lost our ground and struggled to stay in the league. Palace meanwhile have twice over-spent, gone into administration, and have paid little penalty for it, hence their 30-odd year stay in the top two divisions. I finally thought that we - the good guys - had overcome the mountain we needed to climb to finally take our rightful position above them in the league. We did that last year, fantastic, and we did it this year. But losing to them in the play-offs and the potential for them to go on and get promoted make me sick to the stomach.

Nice guys always finish last, it seems.

Jan 30, 2008
Poogate is disgusting and embarrassing and I don't care how much we profess to hate Palace, it's a step too far. The level of Policing required at Brighton/Palace games should be an embarrassment to fans of both clubs. The petty incidents of broken car mirrors, abuse at railway stations and of young children may have been the norm in the 70s and 80s but surely its not acceptable in 2013?

And for what? A rivalry that the fans can't even agree why it exists!

Personally, having harboured this 'hatred' for decades, I have now lost interest in it. To be honest, I would rather see the likes of Brighton, Palace and other similar sized clubs forming a bond against the biggest money bagged clubs. Real clubs with real fans should stick together!

Palace and Brighton fans involved with the REMF have shown the way. Perhaps we, fans of both clubs, should grow up, shake hands and start working on mutual respect rather than mutual dislike?
why don't you piss off if you don't like it,it's types like you that we don't need at games against Palace
regards
DR

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly how do you just switch off the rivalry then. Sounds to me that if you think you can just switch it off then you are probably the sort of person that can easily switch your allegiance to another club. Think the word for it is shallow!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm also of the view that I want to keep the rivalry but with a little less hate. I was astounded that after the match on Monday, I just didn't care that much that we'd lost. I wondered if there was something wrong with me, but no, I've come to the conclusion that I am just bored and fed up with all of the posturing and aggro involved.

Jan 30, 2008
I'm also of the view that I want to keep the rivalry but with a little less hate. I was astounded that after the match on Monday, I just didn't care that much that we'd lost. I wondered if there was something wrong with me, but no, I've come to the conclusion that I am just bored and fed up with all of the posturing and aggro involved.
another one that needs to stay away, what posturing and aggro are you talking about???
regards
DR

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Unfortunately you are entirely correct. I was forgetting that both Palace and Albion have a significant number of supporters who are of low intelligence are emotionally challenged, still wish to live in the past and have no regard for others.

And what makes you think that those who get over excited about Palace/Brighton are of low intelligence exactly ? is it simply an exaggerated sense of your own worth or do you have evidence to support your opinion ?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sorry but the hatred and rivalry is in our DNA - it can't just be dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here