Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to drop the Brighton/Palace rivalry?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Mutual dislike? Come on, that's a bit strong!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've never felt as bad after a football match as I did last Monday. That was real, I will never forget how they made me feel for as long as I live and I will always hate them for it, I don't care how irrational or futile that sounds and I don't care if people of a certain demographic don't understand it. Each to their own.

100% this. I could have probably accepted defeat last week against ANY other team than Palace.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If there's no hatred it's not a rivalry.

This is what football is all about. I accept that not everyone wants to get involved, some just want to turn up and watch a match, some want everyone to hold hands and sing Kum ba yah together - that's fine.

There will always be others who want to take it a bit more seriously, no amoput of bleating on the internet will stop it.

There's massive rivalry between rugby fans of different clubs and countries but no hatred. You have rivalry amongst friends, at work, between pub teams and probably on bowling greens. But no hatred.

Rivalry can be great but the rivalry that spills over into hatred is a form of rivalry is rather sad and pathetic. But either way, rivalry does NOT have to involve hatred!

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
A non football fan ( just finds the chants humorous ) was talking to me and a Palace fan at work about " why haven't Palace got many chants bar the obvious ones? but Brighton seem to have a lot" etc etc.

Weirdly enough it was me that suggested they have 2 local other teams with similar if not slightly worse hatred to which the Palace fan agreed.

It's a bit ironic though when some Palace fans who claim this is their smallest rivalry compared to Charlton/Millwall BUT can't resist constantly whinging, posting on here or attempting to hijack Facebook Brighton fan pages.

The rivalry will never change, them down here or us up there will always have something intense and different about it.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I agree with the OP. I am becoming increasingly embarrassed by the club I have followed since 1967. Some of our so-called supporters disgust me to be associated with them. The antics of some of our players, irrespective of the outcome of the current court case, is beyond acceptable behaviour. The callous attitude to other teams and their fans is embarrassing. Now so-called poogate and the ridicule poured on Paul Samrah, Liz Costa, Tim Carder and others is too much. Today I have been seriously considering quitting as an Albion supporter after 46 years and over 1,000 games and follow rugby league or table tennis. Seriously had enough of it all.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's massive rivalry between rugby fans of different clubs and countries but no hatred. You have rivalry amongst friends, at work, between pub teams and probably on bowling greens. But no hatred.

Rivalry can be great but the rivalry that spills over into hatred is a form of rivalry is rather sad and pathetic. But either way, rivalry does NOT have to involve hatred!

And for that reason no rivalry in Rugby is as intense. How does a rivalry in Rugby manifest itself? A few jokes and then shake hands afterwards. The only rugby one I can think of is Hull and Hull KR and why do you think that is - because it kicks off at their games!

One day you will have your wish - most rivalries are born out of violence in the 70s and 80s, as football violence declines over the next couple of decades the rivalries will be confined to harsh words on internet message boards, then it really will be pointless.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bore off you mong! This is what footballs all about!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I agree with the OP. I am becoming increasingly embarrassed by the club I have followed since 1967. Some of our so-called supporters disgust me to be associated with them. The antics of some of our players, irrespective of the outcome of the current court case, is beyond acceptable behaviour. The callous attitude to other teams and their fans is embarrassing. Now so-called poogate and the ridicule poured on Paul Samrah, Liz Costa, Tim Carder and others is too much. Today I have been seriously considering quitting as an Albion supporter after 46 years and over 1,000 games and follow rugby league or table tennis. Seriously had enough of it all.

Whinge whinge whinge. Don't go then. Judging by your location i doubt you go anyway so no real lose.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
100% this. I could have probably accepted defeat last week against ANY other team than Palace.

So the job of Palace is to come down here and lose? What about our tragic play, missed opportunities, flawed strategies, lack of motivation, clearly lesser fitness and stationary plan! We got beat because we didn't take our chances and didn't want it enough. Your hatred of Palace is misplaced, you should look closer to home for our defeat.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I can't help it,it's like a condition I live with

I hate palace

sure dislike alot of other clubs

but palace is more than that

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Nah, nah, a thoudsand time nah. The local games are the first ones to look out for. Without a shadow of a doubt. There's a certain buzz to these games that cannot be replicated.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have to be honest in that I can't really hate Palace fans that much. They support their local team and with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs on their doorstep, it has to be admired. I have FAR more disdain for people that 'support' Man Utd or Liverpool on Sky TV.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
No, rivalries are what makes football what it is. They ramp up the atmosphere, and without them football would be rather boring. When it comes to violence, there is no comparing now to the 70's, 80's etc. How many arrests were there over the 2 legs? Not many is my guess.

I wasn't even a sperm in my dads ball bag when the Brighton/palace rivalry really started, and I've never really been able to experience them as i'm still young. However, I know that palace games are the big one, and IMO if you cant understand the passion and rivalry you are following the wrong sport

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I have to be honest in that I can't really hate Palace fans that much. They support their local team and with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs on their doorstep, it has to be admired. I have FAR more disdain for people that 'support' Man Utd or Liverpool on Sky TV.

This. And people who've lived in Sussex all their life, go to the the Amex and say they support Albion 'as a second club'. Their first club is top five in the Prem and they've never seen them play live.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Rivalries great but hatred belongs back in the 70s and 80s. Football has come a long way and at derbies both sets of fans regress to Neanderthals.

Just a bit sad really. I have some good friends who are Palace supporters and we have great banter but after Monday they didn't contact me until I had had grieving time.

But then I've grown up and there are other more important things.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Yes it is. Our 'local' rivals are now Bournemouth. Palace have produced the likes of Moses & Zaha through their development system. We've produced El Abd ! Palace got mega compensation for their manager and picked up someone who tactically outsmarted ours when it really mattered. We were stuck with Uruguay's answer to Frank Spencer from a tactical perspective. Until our development squad comes up with the goods our 'local' rivals are Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here