Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to ditch Sky?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Dumped Sky a year ago for Freesat HD+. One-off £200 investment, no bills.

I do miss the footie sometimes but couldn't justify the ongoing cost of Sky.

I did the same thing but also bought a basic xbox for £120. I can use my mates skygo logon through the xbox to my TV for which I buy him some booze occasionally. The xbox paid for itself in 2 months. Job done all the footy at my fingertips.

D

Deleted member 18477

The BT Sport deal sounds good but will you be able to get all of the Sky Sports channels on there too? Or does that only work the other way around (£12 a month for SD BT Sport on Sky). I can imagine I'll end up with both next time I'm looking for a new broadband deal.

You can get sky sports 1 & 2 through BT TV from looking at their website.

D

Deleted member 18477

Get ready for Sky to stick all the big games on 3 then :)

Can't do that. There's rules and crap. Ofcom would kill them. Has to be fair for everyone these days. I've just been looking at the BT website...

I could get the best broadband BT infinity and the best package for calls and then Their best TV package and BT sport and sky sports 1 and 2... Basically their top package for £77 per month.... Sky's is £66 for their best tv package only and that's without adding £12 for BT sport...or adding phone and broadband.

Ditching sky is worth thinking about for sure!

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Sky's a joke so many channels but there's **** all decent on. The only channels with decent shit on is channel 1,2,3,4 wish I wasn't tied to them. *****

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
I have been a sky customer for over 10 years, and have the full TV package with them, plus broadband and phone line. The cost per month is just short of £100. With the new BT deal I was wondering if Sky offers the best package these days. Will anyone else be thinking of ditching Sky for BT or something else?

What do you think?

Google Apple TV 2nd Generation Jailbroken for all Sky movie channels and all internet sports you could throw a stick at. You can get for a one-off £200 on ebay. ENJOY!:clap2::albion2:

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
I ditched SKY along time ago- way overpriced, and although the coverage is excellent i believe Sky is destroying the beautiful game in England.
The huge wages- sick
Massive increase in the cost of seeing your team to pay the huge wages.[see above]
The England team have under performed due to huge wages [see above above] over here meaning massive influx of foreign players.
Watching your own team is more a cultural experience nowadays- that includes the Albion too.
hate SKY- love the Albion.
rant over.

synavm

May 2, 2013
Used to pay around £70 per month for TV, predominantly for HD sports. I now just use an old iPhone app on my iPad in which I'm paying £5 per month and get more or less all the sports channels. Basically it was released before streaming became that lucrative and for some reason they haven't closed the app down. Quality isn't that great but at £790 saving per year, it's a no brainer.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Having worked in a call centre for Sky I know that if you tell them you want to cancel everything immediately then they will find an offer for you. May as well see what it is...

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
i went to virgin from sky. there 100 meg was worse than the 112 meg i get with sky. once your deal is out, the cost is only slightly better. the virgin tevo siezed up a lot and skys controller is much better to use

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No need to pay £90 a year for insurance , the call-out fee of £65 is waived when you threaten to cancel as they want your custom every month. There is now a 2Tb Sky box. I would stay with Virgin.

But I got fed up with that pantomime - with Virgin you ring them up and they come - no arguments !

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I have been a sky customer for over 10 years, and have the full TV package with them, plus broadband and phone line. The cost per month is just short of £100. With the new BT deal I was wondering if Sky offers the best package these days. Will anyone else be thinking of ditching Sky for BT or something else?

What do you think?

So you are paying the best part of £1200 a yearplus the TV licence. Bloody hell.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I ditched SKY along time ago- way overpriced, and although the coverage is excellent i believe Sky is destroying the beautiful game in England.
The huge wages- sick
Massive increase in the cost of seeing your team to pay the huge wages.[see above]
The England team have under performed due to huge wages [see above above] over here meaning massive influx of foreign players.
Watching your own team is more a cultural experience nowadays- that includes the Albion too.
hate SKY- love the Albion.
rant over.

And I thought you liked Silence Sea and SKY ?!

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Cancel Sky, keep the dish/box and you keep 1-4 and about 200 other channels.
Yes ive accidently done this as cancelled contract, meant to renew (on better terms) and didnt, now with all the free channels, dont think its worth bothering.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Cancel Sky, keep the dish/box and you keep 1-4 and about 200 other channels.

Unfortunately I'm only a month into my contract but I will be, I have broadband with them but that is good. They have me 2 months free movies thankfully I got too see just how crap them channels really are I'd defo not pay for them

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I got rid of Sky when I moved house 18 months ago - and haven't looked back. Just stick with Freeview for TV, and I also use BT for Phone, Internet (Infinity) and TV (basic package for £5 a month, which includes the Freeview recording box which retails at about £175 standalone). Now I'm getting BT Sports for free, so that's a nice little bonus.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Can't get Virgin in Eastbourne and have had massive problems with BT Infinity so I guess I'll stick with Sky.

Will go back to Sky for phone and broadband as well as soon as I can get out of my BT contract.

Also just had an email from Sky tonight saying they are adding more HD channels for free plus 3d is now free (not that my TV is 3D) so it seems the war has started.

The consumer has to be the winner as Sky and BT battle it out to see who can give the best deals.

Jul 7, 2003
I've had Virgin broadband for a long time but not the tele. Wanted to swap so looked at the VIP package but this isn't available to upgrade online. Spoke to someone in sales but the offer to existing customers is crap - new customers get 6 months half price. Long story short, an hour of various calls, being cut off online chat with agents etc, I finally get told I need to talk to customer retention but they are closed. I explained that if they weren't so inefficient then the lines would still have been open but was told that they can't get someone to ring me back.

Can't believe a company who I am trying to spend money with can't be arsed to call me back. Will give up with Virgin and try the cancellation route with Sky to see if I can save some money on my subscription.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Sky Atlantic is only on Sky , other platforms won't have as many HD channels. Some platforms won't have all the channels. If you're switching to BT the BT Sports package is "free" but factored into the overall cost , after 12 months if you want to watch those channels in HD it will an extra £3 a month (charge is waived for the first year if you sign up for broadband before the end of July 2013)

As the wife can't live without sky Atlantic looks like I am stuck with it. Grrr

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here