Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time to ditch Sky?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sky and Virgin (the latter is at the mercy of Sky, passing on its channels) operate inflation way above RPI/CPI, and when many costs are static or deflating.

Every 9 months of so, it increases a few quid ("to reflect increased costs" lie).

The upshot of this, compound, over a few short years, is that the cost has accelerated away.

Murdoch and the other private shareholders in the US are raking it in .... due to a semi-captive audience of sports lovers.

D

Deleted member 18477

Having exactly the same thoughts! can be without my sky sports though!
BT customer service is shocking the worst I have ever known! and I cant get Virgin in my area... but £90 a month is a bit much eh?

Apparently BT are setting up a new call centre in England creating about 400 jobs to help with BT Sport specifically...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I signed up to Sky fairly recently and don't pay anything extra for all the HD channels.

I think they advertise that they'll cost more but you just need to actually talk to someone to get a deal rather than paying the headline rate.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It will be interesting to see what Sky do, as BT have marketed the BT Sport in an attractive way. Can't see Sky giving away too much though, but will give them a call and see what they say.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I signed up to Sky fairly recently and don't pay anything extra for all the HD channels.

I think they advertise that they'll cost more but you just need to actually talk to someone to get a deal rather than paying the headline rate.

Don't pay extra as you've joined in the HD era, but what is the total monthly DD cost?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well bugger me !!!!! Bloody cheek to STILL be charging extra for HD - all included in the Virgin price.

Our street wasn't cabled up when the houses were built 10 years ago as NTL (who later merged with Telewest and then with Virgin) had "financial issues" at the time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well bugger me !!!!! Bloody cheek to STILL be charging extra for HD - all included in the Virgin price.

Last time I checked it was still cheaper to subsribe to HD with Sky than pay Virgin for less stuff with the 'free' HD

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
certainly no harm in trying i guess! Knowing my luck they will call my bluff...
The whole BT thing is a good bit of amo thought, I would guess they are over run today with call of people threatening to leave
1) Phone them up and speak to the disconnection dept say you want to cancel

2) They will ask why then offer you deal. Say no and keep saying no as you are leaving to save money

3) You will be given one months notice.

4) Don't panic if they don't contact you for a week or so because after that they will bombard you with calls with much better discounts. You might have to agree to a new contract though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

You'll only get the HD channels without extra charge for 12 months as an incentive to upgrade or as a brand new customer only deal.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last time I checked it was still cheaper to subsribe to HD with Sky than pay Virgin for less stuff with the 'free' HD

Well my Sky was previously £65 a month will all the TV channels except movies and sport, 1.5Mb internet and unlimited weekend phone calls. That of course doesn't include any call out fees.

I now pay Virgin £50 a month for all the TV channels except movies and sports, 60mb internet and unlimited all week phone calls. Along with no call out fees.

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
I left Sky and a month later they offered me it half price for 12 months or FREE for 6 months...so have rejoined them for 6 months for free with No contract for 6 months and get Sky Sports and Sky Movies for Free,at the end of the 6 months I fully intend to say I'm leaving unless they give it to me Half price for a year!!

More details here

Sky free for 6 months!! - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I have been a sky customer for over 10 years, and have the full TV package with them, plus broadband and phone line. The cost per month is just short of £100. With the new BT deal I was wondering if Sky offers the best package these days. Will anyone else be thinking of ditching Sky for BT or something else?

What do you think?

don't go to virgin. i left sky to go there. it's only slightly cheaper and you can record one more channel than sky, but i had truckloads of problems with their internet. even with their 100 meg it wasn't as good as the 12 meg i have with sky!! you get shit loads more channels with sky and it's much better and quick using the controller. i've gone straight back to sky and it's so much better.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Ok I have just turned to Virgin Media from Sky after 20 years, these are my reasons for doing so.

1/ continuously getting letters saying my boxes were not connected to a telephone line, even though they were, had to call out an engineer to verify (£60 charge if you don't pay the £90 a year insurance.)- free engineer callout with Virgin.
2/ £90 a year insurance with sky- free with Virgin.

3/ up to 100mb Broadband (soon to be 120mb) up to 20mb with sky

4/ 1tb TiVo box with Virgin, only 250gb with Sky.

5/ you are ablt to get Sky Sports and Sky movies

6/ able to record 3 programmes whilst watching another, only 2 with Sky

7/ no unsightly dish perched on the outside of your homes

8/ free calls to 0807 numbers etc, and even mobiles with the right package.

9/ ESPN is free with Virgin, £10 a month with Sky, and soon to be removed.

All in all I save £300 for the first 6 months and then about £25 a month thereafter.

The ONLY downfall I see is that you don't get SKY Atlantic, much to my wife's dismay.

Anyone convince me to return?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sounds like the thing to do

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ok I have just turned to Virgin Media from Sky after 20 years, these are my reasons for doing so.

1/ continuously getting letters saying my boxes were not connected to a telephone line, even though they were, had to call out an engineer to verify (£60 charge if you don't pay the £90 a year insurance.)- free engineer callout with Virgin.
2/ £90 a year insurance with sky- free with Virgin.

3/ up to 100mb Broadband (soon to be 120mb) up to 20mb with sky

4/ 1tb TiVo box with Virgin, only 250gb with Sky.

5/ you are ablt to get Sky Sports and Sky movies

6/ able to record 3 programmes whilst watching another, only 2 with Sky

7/ no unsightly dish perched on the outside of your homes

8/ free calls to 0807 numbers etc, and even mobiles with the right package.

9/ ESPN is free with Virgin, £10 a month with Sky, and soon to be removed.

All in all I save £300 for the first 6 months and then about £25 a month thereafter.

The ONLY downfall I see is that you don't get SKY Atlantic, much to my wife's dismay.

Anyone convince me to return?

No need to pay £90 a year for insurance , the call-out fee of £65 is waived when you threaten to cancel as they want your custom every month. There is now a 2Tb Sky box. I would stay with Virgin.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
They are expensive and frustrating at times but i always go sky all the way. Have done for over 10 years. Full package and phone and broadband. £90 a month is steep. Lucky I won a heart fm and get it free for a year plus a 4/ HD Tele I don't need. Good bless Emma Bunton

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I say sky all the time, I pay £63 a month includes multi room and all channels. Get my broadband separately. The wife gets sky Atlantic and I get the sports everyone's a winner

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The BT Sport deal sounds good but will you be able to get all of the Sky Sports channels on there too? Or does that only work the other way around (£12 a month for SD BT Sport on Sky). I can imagine I'll end up with both next time I'm looking for a new broadband deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here