Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it still fun?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's fun, but in a different way. Every point's a party when you're trying to avoid relegation in any league. I don't support my team to see us win, I support my team to see us play.

With chasing promotion comes a similar pressure, you have to win most games.

I also have a view about our fans who'd prefer us to be in the championship for the chance of winning a few more games. I think they're pussies

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I’d say so, I’m proud to be a Premier League team and I still turn up, have a beer and sing my heart out.

So yes it is still fun for me, winning more would be great but I’m fully invested in the project and I guess I’m happy with our place for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'm a bit fed up with it to be honest. I didn't watch the prem until we got in to it and always used to hear about how soulless and corporate it is. The first year was fun from a novelty perspective but I'm over it now and the whole premier league experience isn't one I particularly enjoy or like. For the first time in 20-odd years, the thought of not renewing seriously crossed my mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm a Huddersfield fan. Unsurprisingly, like a lot of others, I didn't find last season too enjoyable. There was a lot of gallows humour, we didn't take ourselves too seriously, the odd win was fun but ultimately it dragged.
Understandable.

So I was wondering - as a club who have survived the drop twice and have a good chance of doing so again - do you still find it fun? Is being a prem club scrapping for the odd point enjoyable?
It's not ideal, but at it's more affordable than being very competitive in the Championship. Ideally for clubs like ours, you get to survive in the PL with more than just the odd win, so it's enjoyable without costing the owner a fortune.

But would you guys be that bothered if you did get relegated? Would you actually enjoy the championship more now, especially given you've had the prem experience?
Before getting promoted I'd have been happy with being a yoyo club, hoping to build for the future. But even being a yoyo club looks tough these days, as the Championship is so fiercely competitive.

And while I loved being in the Championship, I didn't love missing out on promotion season after season. Surviving in the PL for the last two seasons was ultimately more rewarding for me personally (I know many won't share that view) than losing in the play-offs year after year.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I'm a bit fed up with it to be honest. I didn't watch the prem until we got in to it and always used to hear about how soulless and corporate it is. The first year was fun from a novelty perspective but I'm over it now and the whole premier league experience isn't one I particularly enjoy or like. For the first time in 20-odd years, the thought of not renewing seriously crossed my mind.

Me too..however renewed today. massively tempted not to but with two other family members know that giving one up almost impossible to get three together in future.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
For me the journey was far better than the arrival. I dont enjoy the Prem at all. Every game is a struggle and I find I go to games expecting a loss. At least in the championship there was a good chance of winning and having an enjoyable season. In the Prem when the fixtures come out I immediately look for the 3 teams who might be worst than us.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the 1901 for another season after this one. I've tried selling my seat but no one wants it. If were still in the Prem after next season I wont renew. If were in the championship I might.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I miss the championship and would be happy to be part of it again to be totally honest. The PL is fabulous but no its not much fun with the main aim each season of trying to finish around 4th/5th bottom.

Only reason id love to stay in the PL is for cashflow for TB and all hes done for the club, not for the actual football.

Championship seasons were superb for the majority.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Exactly how I thought it would be, all about the big six the rest virtually non-existent however when we have won big games it has been magnificent

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Of course it's not fun.

It never has been fun.

It's not about having fun.

We endure.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Defeatist bollocks. We have to stay up, if we go down we have to try to get back up. There is no reason why we can’t become the next Southampton/Wolves/Leicester but we have to think like those clubs. Bloom is ambitious enough, we need the rest of the club to be.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
its quite perverse in so much that staying up seems as satisfying as getting promotion but its with a lot less fun though beating spurs and arsenal were immense highlights this season.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No it's not 'fun' but it's a variety of other emotions, not all pleasant.

However I prefer the PL. Yes we may get a battering but watching some of the top players in the world play, is a real thrill.

I do wish we were more competitive and there's definitely some things needing addressing if we mange to stay up (striker etc) as some games we should be winning and we're not.

But there was plenty of disappointment in the Championship too, play offs and not winning the league etc... But we won more than lost where now we lose more than win. But I knew it would be like that and so the games v the big clubs I can take a loss. But not beating The Scum, Watford and Villa who were all dreadful puts the dampers on it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been f...

...frustrating.

I can easily imagine such a thread on WatfordStandChat, last week, getting quite a lot of support.
That is right up until Saturday night.

It's the hope that kills yer.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You want to play football at the highest level you can. This is true of the players and fans alike.
I remember saying, possibly on here, that when we were striving to reach the promised land and finally got there that this is as good as it is going to get.

What are you going to do? Just give up? Of course not you are going to fight to try and stay there.

The wins are fewer but when they come they are so much sweeter.
I never thought we would beat the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal. The next target is Man City and Liverpool. Beat them and we have arrived.

Whatever feelings people have the premier will always be the place to be for us it's imperative to stay there. Firstly for Tony to get some of his money back which he won't do in the championship. Then for the club to continue to slowly improve and attract the best players we can. We can only do that while being in the premier league. Also for the players to be playing against best players in the world is best chance for them to improve and learn. Going down will affect all of that and it could take years to get back up again if at all. All in all premier league is the only place to be for our club to prosper long term.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d like to stay in the Premier League. It’s certainly not fun at the moment, though; it hasn’t been for a long time.

I like to think it’s character building if nothing else. And I suppose it’s a lot more exciting than supporting a top five club.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
At the moment it is anything but fun, the gaps between games are too long (which allows disappointment to fester) and it's frustrating because many of us feel that the problems have been self-imposed by poor recruitment.

But Wolves and Sheffield United have shown that there is another way of doing things and that clubs can prosper in the Premier League. I hope we can stay up and try to get it right fourth time around..

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think I've ever found watching football fun... Rewarding, yes, but it's always too stressful to be fun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here