Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it really two years since that clacking awful night ?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If we had won that night the clackers would have been hailed a master stroke.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Last edited:

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
A Palace supporting colleague at work kindly reminded me of that fateful night 2 years ago yesterday. Extremely depressing when you look at them and us now. Still hurts thinking about it.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I'm pretty sure that the 3-0 contributed to complacency on your part in the play-offs, and gave us the additional impetus of wounded pride.

Now if the boot had been on the other foot..... no, it's just too horrific to contemplate.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
I'm pretty sure that the 3-0 contributed to complacency on your part in the play-offs, and gave us the additional impetus of wounded pride.

Now if the boot had been on the other foot..... no, it's just too horrific to contemplate.

I had no confidence going into that game, in fact I hardly watched the first half.

I think the idea that BHA didn't turn up is a bit of a myth. Barnes scores and you win, we only got a head of steam up for the last 20 mins.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
From a personal perspective it is now history and the consequences have had drastic ramifications for one of the clubs.

Whereas one now has a season full of emotions (mixed admittedly) and several periods of uncertainty with an air of optimism that things can only get better , the other remains in a football coma. Static and obscure in league position with the inevitable only a few years away, and financial promises of more cladding here there and everywhere.

I do enjoy football sometimes

glass.jpg

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
From a personal perspective it is now history and the consequences have had drastic ramifications for one of the clubs.

Whereas one now has a season full of emotions (mixed admittedly) and several periods of uncertainty with an air of optimism that things can only get better , the other remains in a football coma. Static and obscure in league position with the inevitable only a few years away, and financial promises of more cladding here there and everywhere.

I do enjoy football sometimes

View attachment 65327

A football coma having beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Man City and West Ham three times over the last 2 seasons.

Nurse! Keep me under please.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A football coma having beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Man City and West Ham three times over the last 2 seasons.

Nurse! Keep me under please.

So no chance of winning anything, and no prospect at all of coming any better than mid-table is exciting? Ok, if you say so. :thumbsup:

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
So no chance of winning anything, and no prospect at all of coming any better than mid-table is exciting? Ok, if you say so. :thumbsup:

Beating Liverpool, Spurs and Man C in front of a packed Selhurst this season has been very exciting.

Was BHA v Millwall at the Amex the same? As you say, things will only get better, but looking at the Championship table, you're starting from a very low base.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Beating Liverpool, Spurs and Man C in front of a packed Selhurst this season has been very exciting.

Was BHA v Millwall at the Amex the same? As you say, things will only get better, but looking at the Championship table, you're starting from a very low base.

Like I said, the only way should be up. Discussing this with a Selhurst ST holder the other evening, he said that 'improvement' was now the goal. You're never going to be one of the big boys, and he openly admitted that the time that the natives might get restless is if things do not progress annually.

AP's honeymoon won't last, we all know that.

We stayed up by default this year, and hopefully lessons have been learned. This should give us scope and potential, to go with our shiny new(ish) stadium.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't really look back on it as awful. Our players froze, Zaha (for pretty much the one and only time) played like a £15m player. That's it.

No. Thats not it.
1) The tie should have been killed off in the first leg ( when Palace froze ) and we were all over them but Mr Caution decided that we should play safe in the second half. Palace gradually regained a bit of confidence, as we failed to take advantage.
2) Mr Caution's decision to change nothing for the second leg and let the game drift, played into their hands. Holloway brought on Bolassie and the problems he started to give us allowed Zaha a freer role. BHA were comfortable for 160 mins across two legs. They were the side who should have won. Poyet's inactivity, complete disinterest in lifting his side and touchline persona gave Palace the boost they needed and they gratefully accepted the gift. It was inept management and we paid a heavy price.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm not sure anything I'll ever see in football again will come close to the disappointment of that night*

That was the most disappointing night of supporting Brighton & Hove Albion without a shadow of a doubt.....

However nothing and I mean nothing can ever be ruled out when supporting this club, I would not put it past us to get to a play off final and loooooose to Palace.

In a way I am glad we lost to them at home rather than at the final, god could you imagine the carnage outside,and all the way home after that.....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yeah and as far as we know (and that is the problem) a manager who didn't get off his axxx once during that match so what really was the true situation 'behind' the scenes ?

I sat fairly close behind him that night and his body language was awful. He sat slumped in his seat most of the evening, whilst Holloway raged and drove his players on from the touchline. Poyet seemed to be sulking. He made no effort to encourage any of the players and the atmosphere was sullen and brooding. It was our most important game for years and yet he seemed unconcerned.
Irrespective of what had gone on ( behind the scenes ) his unprofessionalism on the night was unforgiveable and left a sour taste, which I still have in my mouth today.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sat fairly close behind him that night and his body language was awful. He sat slumped in his seat most of the evening, whilst Holloway raged and drove his players on from the touchline. Poyet seemed to be sulking. He made no effort to encourage any of the players and the atmosphere was sullen and brooding. It was our most important game for years and yet he seemed unconcerned.
Irrespective of what had gone on ( behind the scenes ) his unprofessionalism on the night was unforgiveable and left a sour taste, which I still have in my mouth today.

This a thousand times, I honestly felt he did not give two shits and cost us the match with his unprofessionalism that night..... then sending that sulky email was just smoke and mirrors for his incompetence...

I for one will never ever forgive him for that night.

AmexGold

Banned
Apr 22, 2014
Like I said, the only way should be up. Discussing this with a Selhurst ST holder the other evening, he said that 'improvement' was now the goal. You're never going to be one of the big boys, and he openly admitted that the time that the natives might get restless is if things do not progress annually.

AP's honeymoon won't last, we all know that.

We stayed up by default this year, and hopefully lessons have been learned. This should give us scope and potential, to go with our shiny new(ish) stadium.

Can't argue with any of that.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Zaha was brilliant that night, he was the difference. I remember a lot of talk leading up to the game about Zaha v Calderon and Gus never addressed the issue. Zaha had Calderon on toast all night.

We should have won at Selhurst Park but that's just history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here