Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible to support both Arsenal and Brighton & Hove at the same time.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally I can not see how you can but depends on what you mean really.
I have a soft spot for a couple of PL teams but mainly because i enjoy watching the football they produce. I do not watch them live and i would never suggest I am a supporter of them.
Brighton on the other hand i watch live home and away when possible no matter what the football is like or what the results are like or what the weather is like.
So I would say no as i do not see you can do that for 2 teams

Jollyfield

Jul 28, 2011
Supported West Ham with my heart as a boy. Brooking was my boyhood hero who I saw play when I was seven in one of his last games. Used to go a lot and Cottee, McAvennie, Marco Boogers, Ludek Miklosko, Di Canio etc etc became my heroes.

Moved to Brighton in 1999 and got a season ticket at the Withdean with Seagull supporting mates as fancied watching some local football as going to London for a lot of games was very expensive.

Gradually over time the Brighton roots entangled me and players such as Charlie Oatway, Kerry Mayo, Paul Watson, Danny Cullip and of course Bobby won a place in my heart.

I was 50/50 when West Ham visited the Withdean in a 2-2 draw, I was slightly Brighton when I saw them play each other at the AMEX and sitting in the away end I was absolutely gutted as I watched Brighton lose 6-0 at the Boleyn.

I remember the first game at the AMEX sitting with my mates after that drama and I knew that was a point that despite feeling wrong about it Brighton were beginning to win over my affection.

Now as an ongoing season ticket holder I take my six year old boy along sometimes when there is a spare ticket amongst friends and hope he becomes a seagull.

West Ham were my wife but Brighton became my mistress and I eventually divorced but stay in touch with my ex as you've got to think about the kids involved.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Supported West Ham with my heart as a boy. Brooking was my boyhood hero who I saw play when I was seven in one of his last games. Used to go a lot and Cottee, McAvennie, Marco Boogers, Ludek Miklosko, Di Canio etc etc became my heroes.

Moved to Brighton in 1999 and got a season ticket at the Withdean with Seagull supporting mates as fancied watching some local football as going to London for a lot of games was very expensive.

Gradually over time the Brighton roots entangled me and players such as Charlie Oatway, Kerry Mayo, Paul Watson, Danny Cullip and of course Bobby won a place in my heart.

I was 50/50 when West Ham visited the Withdean in a 2-2 draw, I was slightly Brighton when I saw them play each other at the AMEX and sitting in the away end I was absolutely gutted as I watched Brighton lose 6-0 at the Boleyn.

I remember the first game at the AMEX sitting with my mates after that drama and I knew that was a point that despite feeling wrong about it Brighton were beginning to win over my affection.

Now as an ongoing season ticket holder I take my six year old boy along sometimes when there is a spare ticket amongst friends and hope he becomes a seagull.

West Ham were my wife but Brighton became my mistress and I eventually divorced but stay in touch with my ex as you've got to think about the kids involved.

Do you have to pay maintenance to West Ham ?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's "possible" because I do.

Am I ashamed of it? No.

My story is a case of initial peer pressure. I'm 28 and when in year one (so six years old) I wore my Brighton shirt into school and wore a head band to be Steve Foster. I remember being MOCKED whilst the rest of the boys wore Man Utd shirts.

"Brighton are RUBBISH".

Now, when you're 28 this sounds a PATHETIC reason to be upset....but when you're SIX and PATHETIC like I was, this is HORRENDOUS.

As someone who went to school with you, and was/is a Brighton fan - I agree. It was horrendous and when you're six and people say 'Brighton are rubbish' it really hurts. You were lucky, you could pick a Prem team. With my family that was NEVER going to happen :lolol:

I stuck with Brighton, I'm glad I did. I can definitely say that I never chased glory - yes we've historically been pretty rubbish but a Brighton win that I got to see at the Goldstone, or Gillingham or whatever.. that meant WAY more to me than whatever an idiot at school said when they'd watched United win on TV..

But for what it's worth I think people need to chill out about the whole second team concept - it's all a little morally superior. Pay a ticket, watch the footie and enjoy it.

This is a long-winded way of saying "It's OK, you're not a prick." :thumbsup: That said if I ever see you with a half and half scarf you're getting a slap,

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You'd love that to be true, but Palace fans despise Arsenal due to their foreign fanbase around Selhurst, and their general wankyness.

I don't recall seeing many half/half products being worn at our games, but then we do play them twice a year now.
I quite like this picture. This season as well.

fb92fb37a69d7583f97deb0daa9e350e.jpg

This is a good one too.

faeccc1d218f46342b22b51127532a1f.jpg

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is possible to support two teams until they meet in a competitive game at which time you have to make a decision, imo.

I came to Brighton as Tottenham fan, I had supported them from afar since I was a kid but never went to watch them. I started going to watch Albion games and never really thought of myself as an Albion fan, but once we met in the second division it became blindingly obvious that I was an Albion fan. I have no time whatsoever for Tottenham or any other team these days.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What does one mean by "support"?

To have a fondness for a team is not support, that is the died in wool,hook line & sinker, for better or worse relationship that we have with The Albion.

When your team is a no hope lower league side, then one finds it easy to enjoy the National scene by following a prem team. Albion now are a respectable Championship club that , this season excepted , are knocking on the door of the Prem League . See us go next year! Therefore, I do not see how our loyalty can be divided... All or nothing for me.....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

This is a good one too.

I think those are a lot worse than the odd cup match ones we see for the Albion. Although I would never buy one personally, I can see why people might, as we don't play Arsenal, or Liverpool or Villa (scarves I've seen recently) very often, but to produce ones for what is ultimately a regular league match? Nah.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I spose you can. I know one chap who is an AFC season Tix holder of many years. Been to the Albion many times (mainly when AFC are away) and have seen him just as passionate and excited about the Albion. Hell he has even been away with the Albion more times than AFC.

He has even started using "us" and "we" when referring to the Albion instead of "you" eg "we played well" instead of "you played well"

BUT

Sadly when the Ablion play AFC as we have done recently twice, its very much AFC. Although he hates it when we do play each other. The other half is an Albion fan.

So overall I spose you can support two teams.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mrs Hamilton is a Liverpool fan. She comes to Brighton games every now and then and supports the team. When we drew Liverpool in the cups a couple of seasons ago she was intrigued to see how she would feel - especially when she travelled to Anfield. She said that when she took her seat and saw us all in the Anfield Road end she knew immediately. She should have felt some empathy being a Brighton girl, but all she wanted was the Reds to beat us soundly. A strange feeling she said.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Mrs Hamilton is a Liverpool fan. She comes to Brighton games every now and then and supports the team. When we drew Liverpool in the cups a couple of seasons ago she was intrigued to see how she would feel - especially when she travelled to Anfield. She said that when she took her seat and saw us all in the Anfield Road end she knew immediately. She should have felt some empathy being a Brighton girl, but all she wanted was the Reds to beat us soundly. A strange feeling she said.

Who got the kids ?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Now the game is over and the dust has settled its time to ask the all important question.....

I have had season tickets for many years at the Withdean and the Amex and have been a member of the arsenal and attend matches regularly for many years too.

Its was easy when Brighton were struggling in League one as the two team never met but now the seagulls are an established and ambitious Championship club im finding it harder.

I know there are plenty of others out there, so can you support Albion and a Prem team in 2015

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

This is a good one too.

These are unofficial souvenirs for Premier League tourists who typically fly in from China or Eastern Europe. You will notice that the first picture is of a tat stall in the vicinity of the Emirates. Neither picture has a Palace fan in them. CPFC do not sell half-and-half scarves, and most Palace fans are hostile to the unofficial vendors of them.

Whereas your club has sold official BHA/Arsenal half-and-half scarves, and has posted 12 pictures of Brighton fans wearing them at the match on the club website.

A selection of fan pictures taken during the FA Cup fourth round tie

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
These are unofficial souvenirs for Premier League tourists who typically fly in from China or Eastern Europe. You will notice that the first picture is of a tat stall in the vicinity of the Emirates. Neither picture has a Palace fan in them. CPFC do not sell half-and-half scarves, and most Palace fans are hostile to the unofficial vendors of them.

Whereas your club has sold official BHA/Arsenal half-and-half scarves, and has posted 12 pictures of Brighton fans wearing them at the match on the club website.

Just because your club doesn't sell them, it doesn't mean you don't have 'fans' that wear them.

02c49c864d1258827171cd641942cfc1.jpg

4b8feaa2fa3b2af2cb51691524707710.jpg

A couple of comments from palace forums. I'm sure there are more but I can't be bothered to look. We are in agreement though about half and half stuff, it's an abomination!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I spose you can. I know one chap who is an AFC season Tix holder of many years. Been to the Albion many times (mainly when AFC are away) and have seen him just as passionate and excited about the Albion. Hell he has even been away with the Albion more times than AFC.

He has even started using "us" and "we" when referring to the Albion instead of "you" eg "we played well" instead of "you played well"

BUT

Sadly when the Ablion play AFC as we have done recently twice, its very much AFC. Although he hates it when we do play each other. The other half is an Albion fan.

So overall I spose you can support two teams.

No you can't as proved in your post. How can you call that supporting a club if you want them to get beat by another club when they play each other? It's absolutely nonsense. He supports Arsenal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Of course it's possible to support 2 teams, but it marks out those who have their teams in their blood and those who 'choose' a team. The idea of me supporting anyone other than Derby, even abroad is incomprehensible, even when I watch Brighton, it's out of interest rather than support. Sounds harsh on those who didn't have a team growing up, but you can't change the team that you grew to love as a child.

As an example, really got to like Rugby as an adult, and have 'chosen' Harlequins as my team, but it's meaningless, I don't actually care in any way shape or form.

A splendid choice, Sir. I chose Harlequins as they were my nearest team. I catch a few games each year. If you have BT Sport you'll get to see about half their games too.

Looks like they are your nearest Premiership club as well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I wasn't aware that it was the club that sold them. The vendors I saw were outside the stadium area. Doesn't change the main debate though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You'd love that to be true, but Palace fans despise Arsenal due to their foreign fanbase around Selhurst, and their general wankyness.

I don't recall seeing many half/half products being worn at our games, but then we do play them twice a year now.

Not all Palace fans despise Arsenal. I worked with a Palace fan who also supported arsenal, and we had a courier who also supported Palace and said he was a closet Arsenal fan.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Now the game is over and the dust has settled its time to ask the all important question.....

I have had season tickets for many years at the Withdean and the Amex and have been a member of the arsenal and attend matches regularly for many years too.

Its was easy when Brighton were struggling in League one as the two team never met but now the seagulls are an established and ambitious Championship club im finding it harder.

I know there are plenty of others out there, so can you support Albion and a Prem team in 2015

image.jpg

Yes, but don't make it so obvious next time, I think this is well over the top.
:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here