Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it acceptable for Albion players to do ‘balloons’ on a team night out?

Well?

• Yes, it’s fine (I’m under 40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Yes, it’s fine (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 94 28.2%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m under 40)

Votes: 33 9.9%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 122 36.6%
  • I’m unsure (I’m under 40)

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • I’m unsure (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 32 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No. Because having a beer with a meal is an entirely different set of circumstances to being seen getting high on hippy crack in a nightclub.

Have you ever tried it? You are literally throwing around a daily mail buzz word. No one, literally no one calls it hippy crack.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It doesn’t look good. It isn’t healthy. It can be dangerous. It’s not something they should be advertising to kids. There must be more grown up things to do with their time and wealth.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Acceptable is a stupid word really only used by the shrieking entitled so I won't answer the poll.

All i'll say is the players are looked after well by the club and paid well by the club and they are fully aware of the importance of how the club is perceived in attracting big sponsorship deals like with Amex which go towards their wage. So I can't understand why, and wish they hadn't done something which attracts this sort of negative publicity.

Have to agree with this. Pretty dumb to be doing something that they know will be looked upon badly by the club in what appears to be an open area where anyone (and someone did) film them!

These aren't a bunch of teenagers on an end of term binge to some overseas party destination. Those saying there is nothing wrong with this are completely missing the point.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
off their nut on coke drink

mentos-coke-o.gif

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you ever tried it? You are literally throwing around a daily mail buzz word. No one, literally no one calls it hippy crack.

Nope I haven't tried it, not really interested. But then I'm not an 'elite athlete' in the midst of a Premier League relegation battle getting woozy in some nightclub.

And "hippy crack" seems to be the term being used fairly widely across the media and Twitter, its certainly not exclusive to the Daily Mail. So to say that "literally no one calls it hippy crack" is patently bollocks.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Are they technically “at work” when they’re on these trips, in the same way, say, that we would be classed as at work if we went on an overnight training course or an office party and decided to play the Lord of Misrule in the bar?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No. Because having a beer with a meal is an entirely different set of circumstances to being seen getting high on hippy crack in a nightclub.

Please can people stop calling it “hippy crack”? It’s embarrassing, and the language used by Daily Mail columnists/*****.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I was watching Woodstock the other day and saw plenty of hippy crack.

Mind you, this was fifty years ago, back in the day when people knew how to use the word literally in sentences.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not bothered to read the thread but really, we're all entitled to a private life outside our work lives, so why not the players ? Let them get on with it if they wish just as long as it's legal.

EDIT - and I'd be surprised if those that have commented in a negative way have NEVER done anything their employer might find questionable.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nope I haven't tried it, not really interested. But then I'm not an 'elite athlete' in the midst of a Premier League relegation battle getting woozy in some nightclub.

And "hippy crack" seems to be the term being used fairly widely across the media and Twitter, its certainly not exclusive to the Daily Mail. So to say that "literally no one calls it hippy crack" is patently bollocks.
Or it shows how many people believe the shit the media spew out every day

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The reason why they should not be doing it is because like me they probably don't know the full implication. It might be nothing or it might be something. If these guys are professional (athletes/footballers) then they should be following strict diets and inputs and having several beers DOES affect performance several days after, a few % but enough to make a difference at the top level.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Urban dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hippie crack

Hippie crack
This is the term for Nitrous Oxide, or laughing gas, used to get high. It is usually administered by taking the small metal capsules used in the old fashioned whip cream canisters and piercing the top with a 'cracker' (paraphenelia used for this exact purpose as no one making sundaes uses a cracker) and allowing all the gas to fill a large balloon. The balloon gas is then inhaled and held in until the user starts to feel a high from the gas. This high only lasts only lasts for a minute or less but leaves you wanting more- Hence the association with Crack. Other than killing braincells its fairly harmless (don't take this as gospel) so its more for lightweight hippies instead of serious drug addicts. In addition, its become very popular in deadhead type gatherings and is associated with Hippies in that way too.

Seems a fairly standard term for it thats banded about. So sorry to offend :rolleyes:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Daily Mail/The Sun buzzword ✅
Doesn’t actually seem to understand what he’s taking about ✅

What a frankly unprecedented combination that is.

In a way it’s actually impressive how shiterags like The Sun have managed to convince an entire army of Your Da types that Nitros Oxide is a massive danger simply by saying it is and making up a stupid, nonsensical nickname. Honestly it just comes across as “I don’t understand this thing but the paper said it’s bad so I don’t have to think for myself”

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
294026.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Daily Mail/The Sun buzzword ✅
Doesn’t actually seem to understand what he’s taking about ✅

What a frankly unprecedented combination that is.

In a way it’s actually impressive how shiterags like The Sun have managed to convince an entire army of Your Da types that Nitros Oxide is a massive danger simply by saying it is and making up a stupid, nonsensical nickname. Honestly it just comes across as “I don’t understand this thing but the paper said it’s bad so I don’t have to think for myself”

*sigh*

As pointed out, its just a commonly used term for nitrous oxide. The fact it appears in The Sun, The Mail etc is neither here nor there, its hardly EXCLUSIVE to them and I very much doubt they "invented" it either. Neither did I at any point say its a massive danger.

Other than that - great post chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here