Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it acceptable for Albion players to do ‘balloons’ on a team night out?

Well?

• Yes, it’s fine (I’m under 40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Yes, it’s fine (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 94 28.2%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m under 40)

Votes: 33 9.9%
  • No, it’s not good (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 122 36.6%
  • I’m unsure (I’m under 40)

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • I’m unsure (I’m 40 or over)

Votes: 32 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The most revealing thing about this poll is it illustrates that (so far at least) most NSCers are over 40 (or, more precisely, most NSCers that give a toss about this are over 40).

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
We are at a level now, where I think we can expect a better level of professionalism from our players than to see such antics and dismiss it as "young lads letting off steam."

These guys are being paid eye-watering sums of money, for their physical abilities, and as such they should be treating their bodies with more respect and looking at top sportsmen, top athletes and seeing what they do to perform at that level. the game is not played by "lads" at the top level, with a Tuesday Night Drinking Club, they should be setting their sights higher than that.

It's worth reading about the lifestyles of those who get to the top of their sport and stay there. Read about how Federer, Djokovic, CR7, and others prepare. I think I read somewhere about Djokovic winning whatever grand slam it was that meant he joined the elusive club of players who have won them all. He celebrated with a square of dark chocolate. Yes, it's a massive sacrifice to get to the top and stay there, but it's a long way back from that if you are "doing balloons" on a night out, like some chavvy teenager who used to frequent the dodgy nightclub down the road from where I worked in Greenwich.

Grow up, and be more professional.

I'm sympathetic to the thrust of your post, but as far as I know there's no evidence that nitrous oxide has any lasting effect on a sportsperson's physiology; or at least probably less than a glass of beer.

Your argument suggests it should also be unacceptable for them to have a quiet beer, a bar of chocolate or a burger, or basically anything that doesn't fit within the strictest lifestyle regime. That's fine if that's your argument, but personally I think it's unrealistic for most people, even high level professionals like Albion players.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not massively bothered by them doing it, but the fact they did it so openly is a bit disappointing. I thought some of those involved were more sensible than to put themselves in a position where it was obvious they would have their names and subsequently the club's name dragged through the mud by the gutter press...

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The video clip I watched only showed them doing 1 balloon. How many are they supposed to have done?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We are at a level now, where I think we can expect a better level of professionalism from our players than to see such antics and dismiss it as "young lads letting off steam."

These guys are being paid eye-watering sums of money, for their physical abilities, and as such they should be treating their bodies with more respect and looking at top sportsmen, top athletes and seeing what they do to perform at that level. the game is not played by "lads" at the top level, with a Tuesday Night Drinking Club, they should be setting their sights higher than that.

It's worth reading about the lifestyles of those who get to the top of their sport and stay there. Read about how Federer, Djokovic, CR7, and others prepare. I think I read somewhere about Djokovic winning whatever grand slam it was that meant he joined the elusive club of players who have won them all. He celebrated with a square of dark chocolate. Yes, it's a massive sacrifice to get to the top and stay there, but it's a long way back from that if you are "doing balloons" on a night out, like some chavvy teenager who used to frequent the dodgy nightclub down the road from where I worked in Greenwich.

This.

We're told that at the elite level, its all about the small margins. Its about the individuals levels of personal professionalism and dedication to be the absolute best you can be, to be in peak physical condition for the season.

Is this single particular incident a big deal ? No, not really. But it makes you wonder what else some of them are getting up to during this mid-season jolly. We've seen that they're happy to let their standards slip to this extent - which I'll say in the great scheme of things isn't a lot. But we'll just have to hope that this isn't the tip of the iceberg of them "cutting loose". Last time they donned the flipflops, they somehow managed to bin off a Championship title when it was there for the taking. This time the challenge ahead is considerably more difficult.

I'm certainly not shocked or angered by this, as its not THAT big a deal. But I'd be lying if I said it hasn't sowed seeds of concern with me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They don't even have to look very far, Bruno was making PL appearances at 39 because of the lifestyle he led and the sacrifices he made to prolong his career. These are the type of players that go out on a team building night, enjoy a few beers, then having enjoyed a bit of bonding are back in the hotel and tucked up in bed by 11pm. Boring yes, unprofessional no.

Don't expect them to be reclusive robots, but many a night out can be enjoyed over 2 or 3 pints, or a few glasses of wine then off to bed. You don't need to get smashed and start looking for euphoric highs as a serious professional footballer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm sympathetic to the thrust of your post, but as far as I know there's no evidence that nitrous oxide has any lasting effect on a sportsperson's physiology; or at least probably less than a glass of beer.

Your argument suggests it should also be unacceptable for them to have a quiet beer, a bar of chocolate or a burger, or basically anything that doesn't fit within the strictest lifestyle regime. That's fine if that's your argument, but personally I think it's unrealistic for most people, even high level professionals like Albion players.

Not "unacceptable", merely that we expect them to put the preparation of their bodies and minds at the forefront of how they live their life.

It's not black and white, where you either follow the strictest of lifestyles of you don't and that means you eat burgers, chocolate and drink beer. But I do think that should be the aim, that should be the target, and top professional athletes should be seeing how close they can get to what we all KNOW the very top athletes are doing. After the Tour de France, a Geraint Thomas said in the interview in Paris that he;s looking forward to having a burger. End of his season effectively, and he'll work that off in no time. He knows it's not ideal for his body, but he's earned a treat. It's human nature. But you must aim for the best, and keep the damaging stuff to a minimum.

To be teetotal is not as rare these days as it used to be. But strangely, it seems to be something that is growing in people later in life, people in the 40s who try it for a while, maybe dry January, lose weight, feel better, and just don't return to it. Yet, it's still deemed to be too much of an ask to expect it of highly paid athletes.

As for the rights and wrongs of balloons themselves, I don't know the science behind it, or studies, but it's doesn't scream "highly tuned professional athlete" to me. If I paid someone £50k a week, every week, to be the best professional athlete they can be, I wouldn't be too impressed.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
In order to establish whether this is acceptable, I ask myself, "Would Bruno do that?".

No.

So no.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Ask yourself: What Would Bruno Do...?

16360.png

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
This.

We're told that at the elite level, its all about the small margins. Its about the individuals levels of personal professionalism and dedication to be the absolute best you can be, to be in peak physical condition for the season.

Is this single particular incident a big deal ? No, not really. But it makes you wonder what else some of them are getting up to during this mid-season jolly. We've seen that they're happy to let their standards slip to this extent - which I'll say in the great scheme of things isn't a lot. But we'll just have to hope that this isn't the tip of the iceberg of them "cutting loose". Last time they donned the flipflops, they somehow managed to bin off a Championship title when it was there for the taking. This time the challenge ahead is considerably more difficult.

I'm certainly not shocked or angered by this, as its not THAT big a deal. But I'd be lying if I said it hasn't sowed seeds of concern with me.

Would your reaction be the same if they’d been videoed having one beer with a meal?

:shrug:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've only voted NO because the question is too tight, on a night out? In Brighton? In view of young fans? Nos isn't a problem at all but you have a responsibility as a player to your profession, your club, the fans, the sponsors etc etc

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Would your reaction be the same if they’d been videoed having one beer with a meal?

:shrug:

No. Because having a beer with a meal is an entirely different set of circumstances to being seen getting high on hippy crack in a nightclub.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The most revealing thing about this poll is it illustrates that (so far at least) most NSCers are over 40 (or, more precisely, most NSCers that give a toss about this are over 40).

... during the daytime.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Acceptable is a stupid word really only used by the shrieking entitled so I won't answer the poll.

All i'll say is the players are looked after well by the club and paid well by the club and they are fully aware of the importance of how the club is perceived in attracting big sponsorship deals like with Amex which go towards their wage. So I can't understand why, and wish they hadn't done something which attracts this sort of negative publicity.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No its not a good look and it is stupid getting caught.

Do I have a problem with it and it not being recorded, no. Crack on, they literally do more damage to thier bodies taking painkiller injections to get through crucial games and its a bit of fun.

Its not like they are off their nut on coke drink driving like certain championship players have done this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here