Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it about time the archaic law of consuming alcohol in view of the pitch

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can you imagine the moaning on here if it was ever introduced? How many threads would there be along the lines of 'Why do people in my row insist on going for a pint half way through the first half?' 'Why does the bloke next to me always spill his beer on my coat when we score'?

It will never happen in a million years anyway.
but that's a different issue. I don't think they should sell beer during the match; but you should be allowed to finish your pint up in the stand.

The nanny authorities continue to treat British football fans like children on issues like safe standing and alcohol because they can get away with it. We're too deferential, alas, to tell them where to stick their idiotic patronising laws

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Much more than abroad. Look at holiday destinations around the world and they are full of Brits puking and fighting in the street gulping down cheap fizzy tasteless lager.

Isn't all lager fizzy?

Anyway, more to the point; fair point regarding Brit binge drinking, but that could just as easily happen before the match - it does every week in fact. Should also bare in mind that alcohol is a lot cheaper in most of Europe so there tends to be an abusive attitude to alcohol when Brits are abroad. Additionally, a pint is near 4 quid at plenty of grounds so I'm not certain there'll be tons more drinking if we had the right to a pitch side pint.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Plenty of pints being consumed in H block WSU on Saturday....

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It does seem bizarre in this day and age you cannot take a beer back to your seat, it’s something I now take for granted watching footie in the States. Just more civilised than having to neck it when the second half starts.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Saw a number of people take their pints up to their seats on Saturday. Stewards obviously haven't had enough training!

el punal

Fine - now think of the consequences. At present you're comfortably sat/standing in/by your seat when you get the "'scuse me mate" while someone wants to go for a slash, or buy a pie, or get to the bar 5 minutes before half-time, or leave in the 85th minute, and all this happens just as the Albion are about to take a corner or a free-kick on the edge of the area. All this is just about bearable.

Now, just think, in addition to this disruption you've got Nobby Ninepints up and down every 10 minutes for a re-fill. Not only that, he's probably got a couple for his mates, uh-oh watch for the spillage as he caresses past you. Nightmare scenario eh!

So, maybe a solution - how about ( as they do at Twickers) that you get a cardboard tray for 4 pints, and bring to your seat BEFORE kick-off, ditto at half-time, and use one the empty plastic glasses to piss in (which you then take to the Gents at the end of the game, because you're a considerate fan) then you won't have to barge past me for a slash every 5 minutes. You will also have sufficient booze to keep you going for 45 minutes. The bars will be shut during the period of play and so, therefore, I might be able to see that corner or that free-kick.

Thank you and cheers! :drink:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Barnoculars.jpg

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
It does seem bizarre in this day and age you cannot take a beer back to your seat, it’s something I now take for granted watching footie in the States. Just more civilised than having to neck it when the second half starts.

Don't hold up the States as a shining example

I was refused a beer at a Giants game ( 45 at the time ) for not having 'good enough' ID

Wankers

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Not going to happen while violence still happens at football matches.

A separate but connected question, when will they stop segregating away fans at football matches? Only happens in football.

Robin Hood

Dec 4, 2011
Outrageous, drinking alcohol!!!!! Draconian stupid double standard rule. Aren't people drinking alcohol over 18. Our pub would never allow drinking whilst watching football, what would happen if people got excited, God forbid! "DITCH THAT STUPID LAW."

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Which team did you see? is this the norm in Germany?
I have been to matches in France and they did not sell beers in the stadium, but loads of fans smoke.

I am a regular at Eintracht Frankfurt.. Drinking beer in your seats, watching the footy is the norm there too.. Also get guys with trays full of beer walking up and down the stairs between the seats selling beers.. No trouble there, it cuts out the pre match binging if you can sit and relax and enjoy a beer or two.. You can also smoke in your seat too..

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The consumption of alcohol during football matches came into effect during the late 80s as a result of the then Tory government trying to make football more family friendly and also to try to reduce the trouble at games.

I am not in favour of a blanket wide reintroduction of being able to allow the sale of alcohol at matches, but I do think that in some areas, like the north stand that it could be bought in.

However, if someone can't wait to go 45 minutes without a beer, then I would suggest they call the AA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here