Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton in denial?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Burnley player Jones corners were superb, every damn one of them. Caused maximum chaos in our defence.

That's right and surely a prerequisite for any modern day footballer. I'm so often surprised at the level of bad delivery from corners and FK's near the box. Hit it in at pace in to the mixer and it'll cause problems (especially if someones unmarked).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I fear he might be, I expected Burnley to score from every corner and set piece :shrug:

I'll wait for Chaileyjem to prove me wrong with the facts but I think we concede way too many goals from set pieces.

I wont because I prefer to USE my own eyes and not stats. You are correct every time there is a set piece against any side (let alone masters like Burnley) fill me with dread.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Stockdale has been fantastic for us this season and I don't want to be too critical of him, however there have been some games, Burnley included, where I have felt that he has been reluctant to come and claim or punch the ball - at times this has lead to goals. A keeper dominating the area breeds confidence in the defence. You could see Burnley were targetting set-pieces and their delivery was generally spot-on.

I just wish that some of our free-kick and corners were as good. How many times this season has a corner not beaten the first man. So frustrating!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm not really sure where I stand on the conceding from corners/set play argument, I just don't think pointing out we scored from a corner really matters, given how rare it is.

Slightly less rare now...my point was that good delivery will always potentially cause problems. We managed that once last Saturday and several times courtesy of Skalak last night, Burnley managed it consistently.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Conceded again from set piece, yet scored one too. I can't pick the bones out of this conundrum:

- since Cardiff game, we have conceded just five goals in nine games;
- four of those were from set pieces;
- in last 870 minutes (9 games and 60 minutes at Cardiff) we have conceded one goal from open play;
- have scored from a set piece in each of last four games, and five in total, as against three from open play

Possible the whole set piece issue (that was even mentioned on commentary tonight) has overshadowed: a) that our back four and keeper (notwithstanding mistake for the one open play goal conceded) are superb; b) that we have found a way to even up the supposed set piece deficit by playing Skalak.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quick question as I'm not 100% sure I'm right but I swear they took that fee kick from way further forward (towards the goal) than where the actual foul was from? I even watched the ref who wasn't even looking where they were placing it when walking back. The ref was terrible tonight all round too!

Jimmy Grimble

Quick question as I'm not 100% sure I'm right but I swear they took that fee kick from way further forward (towards the goal) than where the actual foul was from? I even watched the ref who wasn't even looking where they were placing it when walking back. The ref was terrible tonight all round too!

Not sure if it was further forward but it was certainly moved inwards (if that makes sense?!) by at least 6/7 yards. Foul was by the byline but the kick taken well in from the byline. Definitely made the delivery easier; not that it's any excuse for us.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure if it was further forward but it was certainly moved inwards (if that makes sense?!) by at least 6/7 yards. Foul was by the byline but the kick taken well in from the byline. Definitely made he delivery easier; not that it's any excuse for us.

Yep that's what I meant - further inwards. Foul looked like it was right by touchline and kick taken from 8-10yards infield I'd guess. I was annoyed before they scored as was sure it was nowhere near right place & watched the ref walk towards pen area and not even look where they'd placed it. Poor!

Jimmy Grimble

Yep that's what I meant - further inwards. Foul looked like it was right by touchline and kick taken from 8-10yards infield I'd guess. I was annoyed before they scored as was sure it was nowhere near right place & watched the ref walk towards pen area and not even look where they'd placed it. Poor!

He seemed reluctant to pace out the 10 yards for free kicks as well. Bizarre!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here