Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton in denial?

Jan 10, 2014
Still, for goal one Ward was sitting on Bruno and for goal 2 Goldson was taken out and it should have been a free kick our way. I doubt Pawson fancied chalking off another goal though.

You mean that first goal where Bruno attached himself to Ward like a baby Koala does to its mother?

You mean that second goal where Goldson was pushed 'before' the corner was taken and it was Stephens who got in his way from going to track Keane?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You mean that first goal where Bruno attached himself to Ward like a baby Koala does to its mother?

You mean that second goal where Goldson was pushed 'before' the corner was taken and it was Stephens who got in his way from going to track Keane?

Bruno had Ward in a bear hug to start off with, you could see that at the game and on replays and a stronger ref could have given a penalty. However the only thing we're going to agree on in the next few weeks is that ref was as weak as a three year old's tea. The point was, at the time Ward "controlled" the ball and Grey whipped it in Bruno had no chance at all of getting through Ward to block it, It was a fairly decent corner with several elements of luck. You did win the first ball but that's the credit I gave you in my first post.

Don't agree on the second one at all. There's a really good angle of Keane shoving Goldson, it's clear as day. It was never going to be disallowed but then,at that point you should have been down to 10 men and / or 2-2.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I counted 7 times that they won the header from their corners during the game on Saturday. I was surprised that they did not score more then two goals.

I think Goldson & Dunk are doing fantastically well, but would GG provide us with a better organised defence, especially from set pieces?

Good call. Hindsight says that CH should have brought Greer on for Bruno, and shifted Goldson to right back

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Our backline isn't made up of the ultimate beefcakes, but then it is unusual to play a team with the pure intention of uglily launching balls into the box from any distance. The mistake was allowing them to come closer and those one or two players who could really ping one into the dangerzone getting the chance to do so right onto the bonce of one of the blockheads charging in.

Jan 10, 2014

Don't agree on the second one at all. There's a really good angle of Keane shoving Goldson, it's clear as day. It was never going to be disallowed but then,at that point you should have been down to 10 men and / or 2-2.

Yes the push is clear as day.

What is also clear as day is that Goldson is trying to hold on to Keane, it all happened before the corner kick was taken and Stephens blocked Goldson from tracking Keane.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't think that we've been particularly bad defending corners, especially with Dunk and Goldson there, Burnley were just very good at both delivering them and attacking them. I don't think that Stockade had to make any other saves from open play.

Would you say that Burnley are crap at defending the counter attack because we could/should have scored 3 or 4 more than we did this way? If anything they're the ones that are crap at defending corners seeing as the only other team that we've scored against direct from a corner in 39 games has been Leeds, and their defence was schoolboy that night.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Again, one goal conceded in total in the previous six games, suggests shockingly bad is the classic NSC over reaction. It's not a strength of ours but we're nowhere near that bad.

What ?????
We are shockingly bad at defending set pieces most of the opposition's goals this season have come from them, like on Saturday all three of their goals were from set pieces obviously includes the one that was disallowed too. Terrible

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What ?????
We are shockingly bad at defending set pieces most of the opposition's goals this season have come from them, like on Saturday all three of their goals were from set pieces obviously includes the one that was disallowed too. Terrible

Saturday wasn't great but, as I say, we can't be shockingly bad if we only conceded one goal from the previous six games. We're not great but shockingly bad and terrible are excessive comments. Burnley are probably the best team for set pieces in the division. It's not like we conceded to the bottom team in the league.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think the defence would be helped if Stockdale came and punched a few. He seems rooted to the goal line and most Burnley corners were directed around the 6 yard line!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't anyone remember that our first goal came from a corner? Strangely enough it was a cracking delivery and not well defended...how about that.

It was only our second goal scored direct from a corner (a couple of goals have come from half-cleared corners). It was a corner that was met by a Burnley player who flicked it on for it to be untidily knocked in by Stephens. Hardly a cracking routine played to perfection.

But, so what? The point of this thread is about our ability to defend corners/set pieces over the course of the season. That we scored from a corner, too, doesn't really do anything to counter that assertion. Maybe if we were scoring from corners as often as we conceded there could be a point about it perhaps being average, but we don't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was only our second goal scored direct from a corner (a couple of goals have come from half-cleared corners). It was a corner that was met by a Burnley player who flicked it on for it to be untidily knocked in by Stephens. Hardly a cracking routine played to perfection.

But, so what? The point of this thread is about our ability to defend corners/set pieces over the course of the season. That we scored from a corner, too, doesn't really do anything to counter that assertion. Maybe if we were scoring from corners as often as we conceded there could be a point about it perhaps being average, but we don't.

Conceding 9 goals from set pieces in 39 games isn't a terrible stat.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Well, nine goals conceded from set pieces over 39 games doesn't sound too awful to me. I agree that we are not scoring enough from set pieces, whch is curious given that Dunk scored 5 in League (7 in all) last season. Just think that getting fixated about this 'can't defend corners' thing is getting over played.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Conceding 9 goals from set pieces in 39 games isn't a terrible stat.
Well, nine goals conceded from set pieces over 39 games doesn't sound too awful to me. I agree that we are not scoring enough from set pieces, whch is curious given that Dunk scored 5 in League (7 in all) last season. Just think that getting fixated about this 'can't defend corners' thing is getting over played.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the conceding from corners/set play argument, I just don't think pointing out we scored from a corner really matters, given how rare it is.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
set pieces and dying moments of the game seem to be our weakness re conceding goals .....which would indicate a concentration issue or more likely that we almost always decide to sit back and defend the result as it stands rather than trying to kill the game off.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the defence would be helped if Stockdale came and punched a few. He seems rooted to the goal line and most Burnley corners were directed around the 6 yard line!!

This, Stockdale seems to be from the infamous Ankergren school when it comes to leaving the goal line to attack corners and free kicks. This unwillingness puts additional pressure in defenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here