Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus our Wenger or Ferguson?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I do rate Gus and think he has huge potential as a manager. However I do find these posts rather fickle, if say we had lost last weekend to Palace then Gus would be a "useless, tactically incompetent" manager, but because we won he's suddenly one of best managers in the country and it's only a matter of time before he's off to the big smoke. Gus is a good manager with potential, that is all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus has shown his true colours with the Wolves story and now the Reading story.

His comments about McDermott and Adkins were interesting, i.e. "if you go up you get sacked", and I think these sackings have affected his judgement. Whether we go up or stay in the Championship his days here are numbered. This is partly because we have the training ground and academy to pay for, so don't have the sort of budget / transfer kitty he clearly craves.

The other factor is his personal salary.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of young managers who have had their moments in the Prem spotlight, but who now face an uncertain future. Adkins, McDermott, Di Matteo, Ince - I believe all of those 4 would bite your hand off if offered the chance to manage the Albion. Gus would do well to remember this, play the longer game and appreciate the luxury he appears to be taking for granted, which is a supportive chairman.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Agreed. Gus could become a total legend at BHA and might be well advised having a chat with his old team mate Di Matteo.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wish he would be but alas I fear those two old relics from a bygone age of loyalty have well and truly broken the mould and will never been matched gain, nowhere near, IMHO.
They're not being loyal, they've got the two best jobs. Wenger is the best paid manager in the premiership, and Fergie's had it as good as it gets. You think either of them would stay with a little club like us :facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All I have heard from GP in all honesty is one day he wants to manage in the premiership and he hopes we can get there together and if not he may go. Cant remember him touting himself out every 5 mins.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Gus could become a total legend at BHA and might be well advised having a chat with his old team mate Di Matteo.

This.

DI Matteo may have got even richer due to Abram, but was not in the job long enough to build the playing side of the club around his ideas.

Gus is so young, he can bide his time and gain more experience at the amazing wakening Albion.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
He's our Alan Mullery* of this decade. Once he goes, it will never be quite the same again for him or us, even if he came back.

* although Mullery didn't pimp himself for available jobs the way Poyet appears to have.

Did Mullery not resign so he was available for the Manchester United job he thought he was going to get but it went to Big Ron instead?

Or have I imagined that?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did Mullery not resign so he was available for the Manchester United job he thought he was going to get but it went to Big Ron instead?

Or have I imagined that?

Wasn't it that he was knocky that Bamber sold Lawrenson to LFC, and not his idea of ManUre?
If so, looking back it's the Chairman's prerogative, and none of the team manager's business.

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
If we don't go up this year, or next season, then I think he will have to face that he can't take us any further.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All I have heard from GP in all honesty is one day he wants to manage in the premiership and he hopes we can get there together and if not he may go. Cant remember him touting himself out every 5 mins.

This. He gets asked about the Chelsea job roughly every 5 mins. I don't see him answering their endless questions as "touting himself".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gus has shown his true colours with the Wolves story and now the Reading story.

His comments about McDermott and Adkins were interesting, i.e. "if you go up you get sacked", and I think these sackings have affected his judgement. Whether we go up or stay in the Championship his days here are numbered. This is partly because we have the training ground and academy to pay for, so don't have the sort of budget / transfer kitty he clearly craves.

The other factor is his personal salary.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of young managers who have had their moments in the Prem spotlight, but who now face an uncertain future. Adkins, McDermott, Di Matteo, Ince - I believe all of those 4 would bite your hand off if offered the chance to manage the Albion. Gus would do well to remember this, play the longer game and appreciate the luxury he appears to be taking for granted, which is a supportive chairman.

And I thought it was just the national press that dealt in heresy, gossip and second-hand/made-up information. Seems like a lot of assumptions in the above. The truth is NO-ONE on here knows what happened this past week in relation to the Reading link, and I wonder if we ever will. Does that bother me? Not really, it's none of my business. He's get the team to the brink of the play-offs in our second season in the Championship. Pretty good going if you ask me.

If we don't go up this year, or next season, then I think he will have to face that he can't take us any further.

Quite possibly this. Next year could be the defining moment. Fail with promotion with what will probably be a squad further strengthened thanks to TB, and it might be time to reconsider the management.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're 5-1 to go up this year, so it probably won't happen. Given the budget he has, he's done well to get us this far. When the next season starts, will we be odds on to go up? Don't be daft. So he probably won't get us up this season or next. Not because he can't, but because it's difficult without spending as much as those at the top. So no, it won't be a case that he can't take us further. Our manager may well change, but don't think it'll suddenly be easy to get up unless we can match the spending of the top clubs.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Or have I imagined that?

No, Ron Atkinson had already taken over from Dave Sexton at Old Trafford. It was with Big Ron that Mullery had done a deal with when Bamber went behind his back.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wasn't it that he was knocky that Bamber sold Lawrenson to LFC, and not his idea of ManUre?
If so, looking back it's the Chairman's prerogative, and none of the team manager's business.

It was the combination of Bamber's deal with Liverpool (Bamber wanted to go down as the first Brighton chairman to be involved in a £1 million transfer deal), the fact he wanted to make several of Mullery's coaching and backroom staff redundant and the inference that he wanted more of a say in picking the team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And I thought it was just the national press that dealt in heresy, gossip and second-hand/made-up information. Seems like a lot of assumptions in the above. The truth is NO-ONE on here knows what happened this past week in relation to the Reading link, and I wonder if we ever will. Does that bother me? Not really, it's none of my business. He's get the team to the brink of the play-offs in our second season in the Championship. Pretty good going if you ask me.

What are you talking about? Firstly, Gus is on record as making that comments about Adkins and McDermott. Secondly, there are many people who think Gus has exercised poor judgement in entertaining Reading's approach. The upshot is that he's still here at the Albion but he's clearly demonstrated that he's up for a move at any time that suits him. I'm sure Bloom and Barber are realists, but it's clear what sort of creature they're dealing with.

It is a known fact money and wages have been an issue for Poyet, especially post-Murray. He spoke with Reading because they could pay him more money and they'd have a bigger transfer kitty. And, in all likelihood, they discussed a "keep us up" bonus which some have suggested was £1.5 million.

Does any of this bother me? Only in the sense that Gus could now leave at any point from now on, which is incredibly destabilising for everyone else at the club. As he would say "That's football".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What are you talking about? Firstly, Gus is on record as making that comments about Adkins and McDermott. Secondly, there are many people who think Gus has exercised poor judgement in entertaining Reading's approach. The upshot is that he's still here at the Albion but he's clearly demonstrated that he's up for a move at any time that suits him. I'm sure Bloom and Barber are realists, but it's clear what sort of creature they're dealing with.

It is a known fact money and wages have been an issue for Poyet, especially post-Murray. He spoke with Reading because they could pay him more money and they'd have a bigger transfer kitty. And, in all likelihood, they discussed a "keep us up" bonus which some have suggested was £1.5 million.

Does any of this bother me? Only in the sense that Gus could now leave at any point from now on, which is incredibly destabilising for everyone else at the club. As he would say "That's football".

What am I talking about? Facts, of which there are very few known about this whole Reading business. You say "a lot of people....entertaining Reading's approach". You certain that is what happened? Who are these people, and how do they know the situation panned out?

Phrases such as "clearly demonstrated", "in all likelihood", "some have suggested", don't really convince me that the picture you paint is entirely correct. :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you've got your head in the sand Greg. Managers don't generally have talks about jumping ship 8 games from the end of the season if a promotion is possible unless there are issues at their club. And we know he had talks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think you've got your head in the sand Greg. Managers don't generally have talks about jumping ship 8 games from the end of the season if a promotion is possible unless there are issues at their club. And we know he had talks.

Do we? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here