Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus good enough.....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Nope.

Too stubborn, too poor at influencing games that aren't going his way, too patient, too slow, too focused on control and not on results.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We have improved massively every season he has been here, there is no reason to think that trend won't continue.

If we fail to go up this season, I can see us finishing top 2 the next.

What's massively improved between this season and last? The squad is possibly twice as good, the results and performances?

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
I told you all last year, he would never get a team out of this division. He is to arrogant to adapt to changing tactics for different opposition. He might even be better suited by a Chelsea, with £50 million to spend on a player,,but I doubt it.

he would still be moaning about his bloody budget

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
This is absurd. So, Gus fails to get us into the Premiership after just 2 seasons in the Championship and suddenly everything he and his team are building is no good. Geez. Talk about impatient.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Is it a case of TB has put his all into getting The Amex and there is none left in the pot for the players that we need to make a push for The Premier League.

Disagree think we have one of the best squads in the championship

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
First 11 good enough on it's day to beat anybody home or away,good strength in depth now,but squad wise not strong enough yet,but getting closer,all the while aging,next season we should with additions seriously be aiming to go straight up.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Overachieved greatly last season (Ankergren, Painter, Navarro, Vokes etc etc!), credit to Gus for that. Been unlucky in so many games this season, performances massively better overall though, we've looked quality in a majority of games.

sadly you don't get points for looking quality...

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
We are a far better team now than the one that won promotion two seasons ago and we are a far stronger team in depth than last season no matter how the rest of this season pans out year on year we are getting a better stronger squad

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
This is absurd. So, Gus fails to get us into the Premiership after just 2 seasons in the Championship and suddenly everything he and his team are building is no good. Geez. Talk about impatient.

its not about getting to the premiership.. that squad is good enough with our facilities and support to be in the top 6 of this league and we are currently no where near challenging the top 2... Fans paying £600 a a year for season tickets won't be patient to keep waiting and waiting watching us play such negative low scoring attackless football.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Overachieved greatly last season (Ankergren, Painter, Navarro, Vokes etc etc!), credit to Gus for that. Been unlucky in so many games this season, performances massively better overall though, we've looked quality in a majority of games.

Have we looked quality in a majority of games? I've been to a majority of games and we haven't.

If we overchieved last season (did we?) then we're definitely underachieving this season with Bridge, Tom, Bruno, Dave (yes) Ulloa, Orlandi and co.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Possibly, possibly not.

The big question is how many available managers are there that are good enough to do it? Not many IMHO. Better the devil you know for me at the moment, football isn't an exact science and we could sack Gus, get another manager in who does about the same with a similar budget and the same whingers would be on here moaning when we lost a couple of games. Or we'll get promoted and the same whingers will be on here moaning that the manager isn't good enough when we lose a couple of games in the Prem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disagree think we have one of the best squads in the championship

I fail to see how you can say that when we are short of at least 2 or 3 players that would make us a promotion candidate. Even before the injuries we needed at least 1 more striker proven at this or the equivalent level. I also need an attack minded midfielder who could do the job that Croft was brought in to do and also a multi positional back four player who could fill in as required wherever across the back four.

I do not blame Gus for this as I believe, but have no proof, that it is a case of there not being the money available to sign the players that are needed, the same as there wasnt the money to pay GM as squad/back up player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just meant budgetwise. Blackburn's striker cost more than our whole squad (at a guess)
Irrespective of budget

How many goals would Drogba score under Gus' management?

How many goal shy strikers (very very tough on Ulloa) do we have to argue over before the bigger picture raises it's head.

Judging by this thread, the answer is 3.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's good enough to produce an attractive team not sure if he's good enough to manage at the top level though, he doesn't do pressure games very well which is a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here