[Albion] Is Graham Potter overrated as a Premier League manager?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
13th place with 8 games to go and playing good football is as good as it can get with this squad.

If only they were actually playing good football which includes putting the ball in the goal and scoring goals that count!!!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Lost a £50 million central defender, the most important defender (for the way he want to play) for a large chunk of the season, not been properly backed in the transfer market (although understandably given the losses) and yet still has us on track for a good season. Yeah he’s good

It's not a good season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You were there were you?

If there’s one thing that really hacks me it’s people sitting on their sofas criticising fans who actually went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know...

I have similar feelings when boys work their arses off for 90 minutes, gets booed and then accused of not being motivated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm reading that as "change the players".

Norwich came for the draw and just as so many before them had a bank of five and bank of four in the middle of the pitch and gave us the wings. And those are tactics that everyone uses against us if they have inferior players because it works.

Team had 31 shots today and 4 were on target. Not getting your knee over it was only part of the problem.

I'd love to see Potter with better players. But, if we're not going to give him them then we need someone far more pragmatic.

Nah. We did alright earlier in the season playing bright attractive football. Hard words will be had, I am sure, at board level. My guess is that Tony will prefer to give him more money than bring in the latest clone of Big Sam, Dyche, Sparkie or Roy. Or Hughton. I hope so, anyway. Keep the phenotype.

Edit and I know they are top six, but they have spent like Viv Nichols and they are still basically shit, with no phenotype. Manchester United I mean :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To the question IMO, very much so…..

However, he is a good manager and am pleased he is at the Albion.

Re the discussion, and quality of players, as has been discussed countless times, we have ordinary forwards, Maupay blows hot and cold, Welbeck is finished (he was okay today, but not the answer).

Effectively Potter goes into a gun-fight with a knife….

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
still has us on track for a good season.

If we check back would we find you have rated the previous 4, near identical Premier League seasons, good seasons, as well?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nah. We did alright earlier in the season playing bright attractive football. Hard words will be had, I am sure, at board level. My guess is that Tony will prefer to give him more money than bring in the latest clone of Big Sam, Dyche, Sparkie or Roy. Or Hughton. I hope so, anyway.

Bit harsh on Hughton who did a wonderful job iincluding in the PL.

However, we have moved on, you have to hope by selling Bissouma and perhaps Trossard, we invest in a better quality player and are not reliant on a speculative punt…..

I would suggest that Undav might have done better with some of today’s opportunities.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So there truly is no difference in the quality of managing between GPott and Hughton? JUst in the quality of the players, or should I say, a few certain players.

It's gone up a notch in defence and midfield.

Cucurella's better than Bong/Bernardo.
Lamptey than Montoya.
Mac Allister, Trossard, Bissouma, Moder, Lallana than Stephens/Propper.

The forwards ... no way. Muzza, despite is age, simply knew where the goal was and was a brilliant target man.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

The forwards ... no way. Muzza, despite is age, simply knew where the goal was and was a brilliant target man.

So, a few certain players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit harsh on Hughton who did a wonderful job iincluding in the PL.

However, we have moved on, you have to hope by selling Bissouma and perhaps Trossard, we invest in a better quality player and are not reliant on a speculative punt…..

I would suggest that Undav might have done better with some of today’s opportunities.

My point was that Hughton was pragmatic. And being pragmatic can bring success. Look at Dyche's Burnley and Woy's Palace....

But Mr Bloom's vision is to be a bit better than that. It seems that with their new managerial appointment, so has Parish and Blitzer.

I'd keep Bissouma and Trossard, though. Why sell our best players? Biss may be 'gone' already as far as I know, and so be it if the case, but I wouldn't develop it as a plan.

I'm afraid we really will need to spend. If we can....and there is the rub.

Undav, yes, hopefully :thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just more real world evidence that [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] was talking out of his butthole again.

So how does one do that exactly? Have their voice box and vocal chords transplanted to their rectum?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd keep Bissouma and Trossard, though. Why sell our best players? Biss may be 'gone' already as far as I know, and so be it if the case, but I wouldn't develop it as a plan.

I'm afraid we really will need to spend. If we can....and there is the rub.

Undav, yes, hopefully :thumbsup:

Trossard was at the start of the season, for 60 mins he was poor today, but after the mazy dribble in the box, he seemed completely revitalised and regained his confidence.

However, Sarmiento is a ready replacement and arguably MacAllister, Moder or Caciedo could push on more…… Sell him and Biss and get the money in, one year to go contractually…. 😃

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Cucurella's better than Bong/Bernardo.
Lamptey than Montoya.
Mac Allister, Trossard, Bissouma, Moder, Lallana than Stephens/Propper.

Agree - though arguably Montoya put in as many good crosses as Lamptey has this season (not saying Lamptey isn’t an improvement though)….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we check back would we find you have rated the previous 4, near identical Premier League seasons, good seasons, as well?

I would say so. I expected us to be relegated immediately in our first season in this peculiar league. I'm still living the dream :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree - though arguably Montoya put in as many good crosses as Lamptey has this season (not saying Lamptey isn’t an improvement though)….

I love Veltman and Lamptey's pace and nous in defensive recovery. Many of the early Albion EPL defeats involved Montoya being torn apart by eg Ryan Fraser, McNeil, Redmond.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I love Veltman and Lamptey's pace and nous in defensive recovery. Many of the early Albion EPL defeats involved Montoya being torn apart by eg Ryan Fraser, McNeil, Redmond.

Yes though he seemed to keep others in his pocket such as Raheem Sterling amongst others, not sure I agree about McNeil who I always find distinctly average…..

As I said Lamptey is an improvement, as is Veltman.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Today we were crying for something different regarding substitutions and again he left it too late. Mwepu was awful when he came on and the only difference that the subs made was when Sarmiento came on but what can he do in 5 minutes and he only came on because Moder got injured. His pace would have opened up Norwich, but we were so slow in everything we did that Norwich were able to get people behind the ball. Potter seems to have forgotten what worked for him in the first 23 games with 4 loses, changing things when they were not working. He seems as if he has run out of ideas. I don’t buy the thought that his squad is not good enough. They are the same players he had when were winning and drawing. He has changed the way we play and it hasn’t worked since the Spurs cup game. We got a draw today because Norwich were woeful against anyone else we would have been on the end of another home defeat. 13 points in the first 5 games and 21 points in the next 25 games says he is struggling big time. We will find out if he is good enough to turn things round in the last 8 games but 12 wins out of 54 at home is not going to keep the home fans happy. I hope he does turn things round because I would like to see him succeed but his stats don’t look good.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Today we were crying for something different regarding substitutions and again he left it too late. Mwepu was awful when he came on and the only difference that the subs made was when Sarmiento came on but what can he do in 5 minutes and he only came on because Moder got injured. His pace would have opened up Norwich, but we were so slow in everything we did that Norwich were able to get people behind the ball. Potter seems to have forgotten what worked for him in the first 23 games with 4 loses, changing things when they were not working. He seems as if he has run out of ideas. I don’t buy the thought that his squad is not good enough. They are the same players he had when were winning and drawing. He has changed the way we play and it hasn’t worked since the Spurs cup game. We got a draw today because Norwich were woeful against anyone else we would have been on the end of another home defeat. 13 points in the first 5 games and 21 points in the next 25 games says he is struggling big time. We will find out if he is good enough to turn things round in the last 8 games but 12 wins out of 54 at home is not going to keep the home fans happy. I hope he does turn things round because I would like to see him succeed but his stats don’t look good.

As I said to a friend of mine, we had 30 chances, we had times we attacked fast, sometimes slow, created chances from wide, through the middle, and chances on the edge of the box, chances in the box, headed chances, volley chances, take a touch and strike chances, penalty chances.

Potter hasn’t forgotten what works; he has a squad of 2 natural strikers, and a clutch of midfielders who can’t hit a barn door with a banjo. What’s he supposed to do, Sarmiento is just back from a really nasty injury, but you’re right that’s all he had to turn to I suppose.

In terms of turning it around, we have to seriously think what this transfer window should bring because actually is pretty obvious and has been for a while. All this top 10 talk is rubbish if you don’t back it up, and what do we do - weaken in January.

Tactically spot on today, should have been a proper rout, players really need to take the blame for not scoring and winning today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I said to a friend of mine, we had 30 chances, we had times we attacked fast, sometimes slow, created chances from wide, through the middle, and chances on the edge of the box, chances in the box, headed chances, volley chances, take a touch and strike chances, penalty chances.

Potter hasn’t forgotten what works; he has a squad of 2 natural strikers, and a clutch of midfielders who can’t hit a barn door with a banjo. What’s he supposed to do, Sarmiento is just back from a really nasty injury, but you’re right that’s all he had to turn to I suppose.

In terms of turning it around, we have to seriously think what this transfer window should bring because actually is pretty obvious and has been for a while. All this top 10 talk is rubbish if you don’t back it up, and what do we do - weaken in January.

Tactically spot on today, should have been a proper rout, players really need to take the blame for not scoring and winning today.
Not really much to quibble with there but did we actually attack fast?

Comfortably the fastest attack of the day was Pukki sending Dunk and setting up the winner.
Thankfully they were worse than us.

I didn't see anything today that suggested our 'fast break' caught Norwich out of position.

Of the bazillion blazes over had they all been lower they would have hit a Norwich player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports