Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gareth Bale the best British player since George Best??

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Gazza better than Best??..... Jesus I've heard it all now. People always have a flawed perception of Gascoigne, 1 good World Cup and a couple of good seasons for spurs but after that nothing of note. Bale has the same technical ability and a better goalscoring record as well as being superior physically.
Superior physically....haven't watched the YouTube vid then?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Gazza better than Best??..... Jesus I've heard it all now. People always have a flawed perception of Gascoigne, 1 good World Cup and a couple of good seasons for spurs but after that nothing of note. Bale has the same technical ability and a better goalscoring record as well as being superior physically.

Have you watched the YouTube clips I posted, if you do you might change your mind

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gazza for me will always remain one of THE all time greats. The way he waltzed round players was just a joy to behold, especially considering that he always looked like he'd eaten all the pies. Scored some amazing goals, had a very good footballing brain on him too and played with a real passion (sometimes to his own undoing).

I also loved Le Tissier. Admired his one club man position, even though I can't stand the club, and wonder what he might have achieved had he gone to a big club. Some of his goals were just jaw dropping in a similar way to Bale. Admittedly though he did score an awful lot of pens.

If Bale gets a few more seasons like he's just had under his belt then he will most certainly be right up there as one of the greats. I don't really like to call who's better than who as all are great players, but I can't honestly say that Bale has overtaken Gazza just yet.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry but there is no one better than George Best.

He didn't have one weakness in his game. He could dribble, shoot, head, tackle, pass, was two footed and it was only towards the end of his glory that his temperament started letting him down.

Bale does not have this all round ability. gascoigne was closer but not to the same level.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Sorry but there is no one better than George Best.

He didn't have one weakness in his game. He could dribble, shoot, head, tackle, pass, was two footed and it was only towards the end of his glory that his temperament started letting him down.

Bale does not have this all round ability. gascoigne was closer but not to the same level.

Saw Best on numerous ocassions and was without doubt one of the greatest

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Surely it depends on what position you're talking about? I wouldn't fancy Bale in goal much (although his diving may help :D)

D

Deleted member 18477

Scholes was class!

Giggs was class!

Bale is class!

You can't compare them as they're different players. Yes bale is the most like George best but define best? Best as in most similar? Sol Campbell was a monster of a defender... But defenders barely get a mention when talking about best in the world... Is that because defending is easier than attacking?

Currently bale would walk into a team of best of British but impossible to really pick one player. If we're talking about specific positions and being most effective in that position then we can have a debate...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Gazza may have been a pillock but he was a better player than Bale.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I loved watching Hoddle.

I don't want this to sound all, oh look at me
But when I played for the Albion youth side in the 80s we played against Tottenham youth at their training ground in Chestunt and while we were playing Glenn Hoddle was out training on his own on the pitch next to us, I couldn't help keep glancing over he was an idol at the time, he spent a hour just kicking balls from 20/30 yards out into a small hoop hanging from the crossbar the accuracy was truly amazing a very graceful player who could pin point a pass from 40 yards (by the way we lost 5-0 to spurs youth:facepalm:)

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
I don't want this to sound all, oh look at me
But when I played for the Albion youth side in the 80s we played against Tottenham youth at their training ground in Chestunt and while we were playing Glenn Hoddle was out training on his own on the pitch next to us, I couldn't help keep glancing over he was an idol at the time, he spent a hour just kicking balls from 20/30 yards out into a small hoop hanging from the crossbar the accuracy was truly amazing a very graceful player who could pin point a pass from 40 yards (by the way we lost 5-0 to spurs youth:facepalm:)

Great post, Hoddle's ability to pass and read the game was probably on par with Larry Bird's ability to play basketball - did you play against any lads who went on to the top level that day ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Le Tissier could have been better than Best if he had ever moved, I don't mean moved clubs I mean moved on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here