Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football on TV done wrong?

Should they change the default way they show football?

• Total voters

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
What is this fetish for goalposts...?
Football is all about goals, isn't it.
Goalposts are an integral part of the goal-scoring process, the other key element being the ball.
If it were possible to have both the ball and the goal-posts in view at all times, that's got to be a good thing.
And as I've demonstrated, you can do it without having to make the players any smaller than they are in the trad view.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure I've ever heard of THREE votes – or 8.6% – described as something that is 'starting to gain traction' :lol:
Now 7.7%! That's some interesting 'traction' :lolol:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I'm not sure I've ever heard of THREE votes – or 8.6% – described as something that is 'starting to gain traction' :lol:

It is gaining traction if for a long time there was only one vote, and it's gone from 1 to 3.

1686142842033.png

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

I consider these the most constructive comments so far:

Football on TV is awful, just when there's a lovely looking passing pattern starting to develop, the 'director' switches to an angle showing the player with the ball at ground level, or close to the touchline. They completely destroy the flow of the move. You also miss a lot of the movement off the ball, especially when The Albion are concerned.
I am always baffled why they choose to do a close up of the player taking the corner, the balls whipped in and bang it's in the net like a sudden surprise when, only then do they show the clever intricate blocks and runs.
I’d prefer there to be no action replays while the ball is in play. Lots of build up play is missed because of action replays being shown. Likewise, no fan or bench shots while the action is continuing.
As mental as this thread is, and it's brilliant - congratulations on a job well done!, there is some argument to offering different perspectives on the game and I'd be interested to watch a game with a fixed camera mounted behind a goal where you've got the whole pitch view. You could watch a player's runs off the ball, etc. I don't think the majority of fans would take up that option, which is why "Player Cam" died in the late 90s/early 2000s. But it should be an option.
i dont think the issue is whether the action is shown from behind the goal, or from the half way line, or almost anywhere. I think its more a case of when the director suddenly decides to switch rapidly between various angles, interspaced with close up shots of players , so you have n o idea of where the action is taking place on the pitch, or get an idea of the build up play.
By all means zoom in for replays etc, but for most of the game at least show a large enough view so we can see where the ball is on the pitch, and at least some of the other players around the action.

There was a period of play in I think the first the Liverpool game where Brighton passed the ball from one end of the pitch to the other, using most of our players, leaving the Liverpool players literally searching for where the ball was. They were completly bamboozled by the speed and accuracy of the passing. I was looking forward to seeing it on the tv , cause it was f***ing amazing in the stadium, but when shown it was all to close, cameras switching from player to player, there was no idea of how the ball was moving, and no hint of the bafflement of the Liverpool players. Had that passage been shown from a perspective where the viewer could see , say half the pitch it would have been much better.

I'd be happy at least if they (by which I mean broadcasters) took on board the main thrust of what these guys are saying, which is don't interrupt the flow of the game by switching angle while the ball is in play and show more of the pitch so that it is possible to get a better idea of what's going on around the player on the ball (this was a large part of why I'd like a more lengthways view of the pitch).

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
It's occurred to me that people who initially voted to keep the traditional vantage-point but have since read all the arguments pertaining to this discussion may now be wishing to change the way they voted. This is to let such people know that yes, it is set up so they can change their vote to one of the other two options.

If you want more of this sort of thing, you can find it here:

You can also be the first person to vote in the poll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here