Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football on TV done wrong?

Should they change the default way they show football?

• Total voters

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
The poll is showing overwhelmingly that everyone is happy with the way they currently show football from the halfway line, so I guess that's good, then.
What I don't think I have seen yet though is a single reason why they think that is better.

I put forward several reasons why I feel a view from behind the goal would be better:
1. You can see the goalposts at all times, not just when the ball is in the final third, often for only a fraction of a second after a player has taken a shot. As things are, it often happens that a player takes a shot while the goalposts are out of view, and they only come into view as the ball travels goalwards.
2. Due to the rectangular shape of the pitch, you will see more of the pitch, which helps to give context to what's going on.
3a. Due to the shape of the pitch, you will be able to see most of the players at all times, which also gives more context to what's going on. It won't be a case of seeing a player launch a long pass, and not knowing to whom the ball is going. You will see both the passer and the passee simultaneously.
3b.You can see both flanks of the pitch equally clearly. It's not a case of not being sure what's going on when the ball goes to the far corner of the pitch.
3c. With the camera behind the defending team's goal, the action is coming towards the camera as the other team attacks, instead of moving further away as is the case when viewed from the halfway line.
4. When there's a shot, you have a clear view of the ball coming towards the goal. By definition if the camera is behind the goal and a goal is scored, you are going to have a clear view of the ball as it travels towards the goal. Similarly, you will know without a shadow of doubt instantly whether or not the ball has gone in, without wondering whether it has squirmed outside the post.
5. Linked to 4, you won't have players who are not directly involved in the action blocking the view of what's going on. The only players who would obscure the view would be those who are standing directly between the player on the ball and the goalposts, and therefore actively involved in trying to win the ball.
6. The effect of watching the game from a diagonal angle as the camera pans left or right will be greatly reduced.

I look forward to reading all the reasons why people think the current arrangement gives such a better viewing experience than what I'm proposing.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Have you written to EA Sports asking why their FIFA video games also show the game from the traditional half-way line perspective?

As mental as this thread is, and it's brilliant - congratulations on a job well done!, there is some argument to offering different perspectives on the game and I'd be interested to watch a game with a fixed camera mounted behind a goal where you've got the whole pitch view. You could watch a player's runs off the ball, etc. I don't think the majority of fans would take up that option, which is why "Player Cam" died in the late 90s/early 2000s. But it should be an option.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The poll is showing overwhelmingly that everyone is happy with the way they currently show football from the halfway line, so I guess that's good, then.
What I don't think I have seen yet though is a single reason why they think that is better.

I put forward several reasons why I feel a view from behind the goal would be better:
1. You can see the goalposts at all times, not just when the ball is in the final third, often for only a fraction of a second after a player has taken a shot. As things are, it often happens that a player takes a shot while the goalposts are out of view, and they only come into view as the ball travels goalwards.
2. Due to the rectangular shape of the pitch, you will see more of the pitch, which helps to give context to what's going on.
3. Due to the shape of the pitch, you will be able to see most of the players at all times, which also gives more context to what's going on. It won't be a case of seeing a player launch a long pass, and not knowing to whom the ball is going. You will see both the passer and the passee simultaneously.
3.You can see both flanks of the pitch equally clearly. It's not a case of not being sure what's going on when the ball goes to the far corner of the pitch.
3. With the camera behind the defending team's goal, the action is coming towards the camera as the other team attacks, instead of moving further away as is the case when viewed from the halfway line.
4. When there's a shot, you have a clear view of the ball coming towards the goal. By definition if the camera is behind the goal and a goal is scored, you are going to have a clear view of the ball as it travels towards the goal. Similarly, you will know without a shadow of doubt instantly whether or not the ball has gone in, without wondering whether it has squirmed outside the post.
5. Linked to 4, you won't have players who are not directly involved in the action blocking the view of what's going on. The only players who would obscure the view would be those who are standing directly between the player on the ball and the goalposts, and therefore actively involved in trying to win the ball.
6. The effect of watching the game from a diagonal angle as the camera pans left or right will be greatly reduced.

I look forward to reading all the reasons why people think the current arrangement gives such a better viewing experience than what I'm proposing.
TL;DR

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Point of order, Sid.

If a post has NO replies, then it can't actually BE a 'thread' can it?
Not sure about that, HKFC. To start a new thread, the button LITERALLY says 'Post thread'. Even with no replies, it's still a thread, no?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Point of order, Sid.

If a post has NO replies, then it can't actually BE a 'thread' can it?

Not sure about that, HKFC. To start a new thread, the button LITERALLY says 'Post thread'. Even with no replies, it's still a thread, no?
I think I'm with Evil Hans on this one, it's a thread once the first reply comes steaming in. Like a conga is only a conga when the first person joins in, before that it's just one person dancing.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i dont think the issue is whether the action is shown from behind the goal, or from the half way line, or almost anywhere. I think its more a case of when the director suddenly decides to switch rapidly between various angles, interspaced with close up shots of players , so you have n o idea of where the action is taking place on the pitch, or get an idea of the build up play.
By all means zoom in for replays etc, but for most of the game at least show a large enough view so we can see where the ball is on the pitch, and at least some of the other players around the action.

There was a period of play in I think the first the Liverpool game where Brighton passed the ball from one end of the pitch to the other, using most of our players, leaving the Liverpool players literally searching for where the ball was. They were completly bamboozled by the speed and accuracy of the passing. I was looking forward to seeing it on the tv , cause it was f***ing amazing in the stadium, but when shown it was all to close, cameras switching from player to player, there was no idea of how the ball was moving, and no hint of the bafflement of the Liverpool players. Had that passage been shown from a perspective where the viewer could see , say half the pitch it would have been much better.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
I think I'm with Evil Hans on this one, it's a thread once the first reply comes steaming in. Like a conga is only a conga when the first person joins in, before that it's just one person dancing.
Not being joined in a conga would be far worse than potentially starting a thread only to receive no replies. Although I don't think it is actually the person at the front that starts a conga. In my experience the front person is grabbed by someone else and steered in a conga fashion and then others join in. To do that on here the first reply would have to occur before the original post.

Oh bollocks, I am going to have a beer.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have you written to EA Sports asking why their FIFA video games also show the game from the traditional half-way line perspective?

As mental as this thread is, and it's brilliant - congratulations on a job well done!, there is some argument to offering different perspectives on the game and I'd be interested to watch a game with a fixed camera mounted behind a goal where you've got the whole pitch view. You could watch a player's runs off the ball, etc. I don't think the majority of fans would take up that option, which is why "Player Cam" died in the late 90s/early 2000s. But it should be an option.
As long as they don’t bring back Fan Zone I’m happy

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I once started a thread that produced no replies at all. :lolol:
As it’s silly season let’s try and find it and get it ticking…

Edit - I’ve found it and you have your first reply xx

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am always baffled why they choose to do a close up of the player taking the corner, the balls whipped in and bang it's in the net like a sudden surprise when, only then do they show the clever intricate blocks and runs.
Vaguely remember a short spell where they tried keeping the main picture locked off on a close-up of the penalty area with the corner-taker in a little box bottom right. Didn’t catch on, even though it’s probably closer to the way we focus on the action when watching live. Tellies are much bigger these days so might be worth another go.

As for the original question, as TV is two-dimensional, viewing from behind the goal in real time can make it very difficult to ascertain distances. Sometimes, at full speed, we can’t initially pick up whether the ball is travelling towards or away from the camera. The traditional (and only sane) angle offers our brain more information to resolve that ‘lack of 3D’ problem and also gives a much better understanding of patterns of play, players’ positions etc.

It’s why, in my opinion, the vogue for far end behind the goal coverage of penalties is good for video games but crap for TV. Sure, it shows exactly where the ball is heading but there’s no way of telling its distance from the goal line as it travels. The traditional view provides both. From a spidercam suspended on wires, it’s not so bad as the height helps add the extra dimension.

I realise I’ve taken this utter nonsense thread far more seriously than I should 😂

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Exclusive! Official announcement imminent!

Following a review of compelling new evidence, Albion have taken the unprecedented step of reviewing season ticket prices for the upcoming 2023/24 season.

Adult tickets in the North Stand will be repriced from the current £565 to a new level of £1,026, reflecting the recent discovery of their unparalleled views of the action across the whole playing surface.

Tickets in the sections closest to the centre line of the pitch, including 1901 Club, Tunnel Club and all hospitality will be repriced at a discounted rate of £1 per ticket, with all affected seats marked as "Restricted View".

All impacted Season Ticket Holders will be contacted in the upcoming days with further instructions.

Edit: Further details can be found at the following link: Https://https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/353040...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

3a. Due to the shape of the pitch, you will be able to see most of the players at all times, which also gives more context to what's going on. It won't be a case of seeing a player launch a long pass, and not knowing to whom the ball is going. You will see both the passer and the passee simultaneously.
3b.You can see both flanks of the pitch equally clearly. It's not a case of not being sure what's going on when the ball goes to the far corner of the pitch.
3c. With the camera behind the defending team's goal, the action is coming towards the camera as the other team attacks, instead of moving further away as is the case when viewed from the halfway line.

I spent my early football watching days behind the goal (South Stand, then North Stand, Goldstone, then countless away games). Then I found the delights of the half way line. Here is why the current approach is bes

1. The current TV view is from everywhere apart from behind the goal. It is completely flexible and captures everything from a 'good distance'.
2. Filming from behind the goal would give one view only, and it would be spoiled by the net.
3. It would make the viewer feel like a fish, looking at the match caught in a net, with action at the other end done by tiny stick men.
4. All your reasons are just silly.
5. Er,
6. That's it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here