Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Is comedy in crisis?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? I grew up with Hi-De-Hi, Allo Allo etc. While there were plenty of classics ‘don’t tell him Pike’ there was plenty of derivative dross.

I started watching the Mighty Boosh again recently, wonderful stuff.

Mindhorn is on BBC I-Player :thumbsup:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Is it any good? - Mrs Earle doesn't enjoy it. I watch one episode a day with my exercises each morning. They are incredibly cleverly done as they only have a few pages of script and the rest is improvised. Some episodes have a laugh in the middle and others wait till the end. But I find them incredibly watchable, albeit sometimes utter filth. Like building a whole episode around Larry getting a pubic hair stuck in his throat :mad:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I say lots of things where people reply, ‘Oh you can’t say that anymore’

You can and I do.

On a different tack I thought Count Arthur Strong was some of the best comedy for years ( Amazon prime now) and Ibwill continue championing it but you just felt the BBC were sticking it on too late at night which was a dreadful time because it encapsulated everything anyone over 40 would like but with a nice sprinkling of surrealism. Kids would get it as well ............ I struggle with a lot of comedy though.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

You can and I do.

On a different tack I thought Count Arthur Strong was some of the best comedy for years ( Amazon prime now) and Ibwill continue championing it but you just felt the BBC were sticking it on too late at night which was a dreadful time because it encapsulated everything anyone over 40 would like but with a nice sprinkling of surrealism. Kids would get it as well ............ I struggle with a lot of comedy though.

Me too re Count Arthur Strong. I have signed CDs by him and Eggy from the Theatre Royal shows and often say That's Beyond my Level of Expertise from his stint being mistaken as a doctor in hospital and feeling compelled to play along. It also drew my attention to the brilliant Rory Kinnear for the first time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Me too re Count Arthur Strong. I have signed CDs by him and Eggy from the Theatre Royal shows and often say That's Beyond my Level of Expertise from his stint being mistaken as a doctor in hospital and feeling compelled to play along. It also drew my attention to the brilliant Rory Kinnear for the first time.

I love that bit. ................Im afraid

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My wife says she enjoys and is not offended by my occasional misogynistic jokes - because it helps to remind her how sad I am.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's only the Hannah Gadsby types that make you think comedy is in crisis.

Once you move away from unfunny ***** like that and watch something from Chappelle, Burr or even an Andrew Shultz you realise there's still funny stuff out there from people not afraid to have a pop at anyone if there's comedy in it.

I think the problem is too many people that are labelled comedians really aren't comedians or at the least really bad at it but have some kind of profile on social media. It makes comedy look in crisis.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You can and I do.

I find him uber-dull. But, then again, most of the 6.30 R4 slot is dull these days. Not tonight though, as David Sedaris is back, who I will continue championing. Hilarious.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Is it any good? - Mrs Earle doesn't enjoy it. I watch one episode a day with my exercises each morning. They are incredibly cleverly done as they only have a few pages of script and the rest is improvised. Some episodes have a laugh in the middle and others wait till the end. But I find them incredibly watchable, albeit sometimes utter filth. Like building a whole episode around Larry getting a pubic hair stuck in his throat :mad:

So you're saying it's pretty (pretty) good.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I find him uber-dull. But, then again, most of the 6.30 R4 slot is dull these days. Not tonight though, as David Sedaris is back, who I will continue championing. Hilarious.

Ooh, I'll have a look. Never heard him on the radio but I'm big fan of his writing.

edit: Just downloaded a couple of episodes from 2019 to my phone

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think comedy is as healthy as it has ever been, given the weallth of platforms / media available to people who want to have a go, plus the fact that if the material is funny and clever thre are very few subjects that are taboo or off limit these days. Gone are the days when the only comedy avaliable was a choice between BBC situation comedies or derivative comics and double-acts doing the club circuit.

Comedy is completely subjective and I think if people look they will always be able to find stuff that makes them laugh and possibly more so today than ever before.

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ignore the BBC Michael McIntyre shite.

Listen to Bill Burr, Chris Rock. Comedy is alive and well.

You may as well have said 'Don't drink milkshakes, eat onions.' Michael Mcintyre is an easy target because he has the Monkhousian obvious desire to be liked and the ambition that is needed to move from stand up to light entertainment. However, he is very very good at the style he has chosen. When my kids were younger, he was someone whose specials we could watch and enjoy as a family. Ditto the much maligned Miranda sitcom. I could quite happily enjoy this kind of show in one environment and enjoy more challenging stand up in another. Watching the kids find things funny reminded me of being a kid myself and watching Porridge or Morecambe and Wise with my parents. It might not be challenging or truth being told to power, but it wasn't for that. It provided feelings of empathy and shared experience.

Burr and Rock are both decent stand ups, (although I would point out that Chris Rock has made only one special in the last ten years, so is difficult to cite as an example of modern comedy being alive and well) but they're not an either or to the likes of McIntyre. They are also both fairly traditional stand ups, doing the angry/confused (now middle aged) man 'railing at America's stupidity' bit that was done by Prior and Carlin, Chapelle, Lewis Black and Louis CK. They also both have great respect and admiration for Seinfeld, who was the master of the style that McIntyre and a lot of his peers are doing.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You may as well have said 'Don't drink milkshakes, eat onions.' Michael Mcintyre is an easy target because he has the Monkhousian obvious desire to be liked and the ambition that is needed to move from stand up to light entertainment. However, he is very very good at the style he has chosen. When my kids were younger, he was someone whose specials we could watch and enjoy as a family. Ditto the much maligned Miranda sitcom. I could quite happily enjoy this kind of show in one environment and enjoy more challenging stand up in another. Watching the kids find things funny reminded me of being a kid myself and watching Porridge or Morecambe and Wise with my parents. It might not be challenging or truth being told to power, but it wasn't for that. It provided feelings of empathy and shared experience.

Burr and Rock are both decent stand ups, (although I would point out that Chris Rock has made only one special in the last ten years, so is difficult to cite as an example of modern comedy being alive and well) but they're not an either or to the likes of McIntyre. They are also both fairly traditional stand ups, doing the angry/confused (now middle aged) man 'railing at America's stupidity' bit that was done by Prior and Carlin, Chapelle, Lewis Black and Louis CK. They also both have great respect and admiration for Seinfeld, who was the master of the style that McIntyre and a lot of his peers are doing.

Full respect to your evident knowledge of stand up, but will gently agree to differ on McIntyre. I think you coined it best actually... “light entertainment”. Which is fine as and in a genre of its own for family laughs with kids, but I wouldn’t classify his like in the same league as any of the names you mentioned, and maybe it shouldn’t be compared.

George Carlin is still the king, Bill Hicks is up there too. Louis CK is an unreal talent but his career has taken a hit due to his off stage antics (though his brutally honest comeback special did make me laugh pretty hard at times). Chris Rock isn’t as active with his specials but they still resonate.

Bill Burr is the current great modern day comic in my opinion. He practically does a one man show in his weekly podcasts which has more great material than many comics have in their entire career. I don’t think he is quite as well known over here as perhaps he should be, but a real talent nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here