Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Is comedy in crisis?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm working my way through all episodes (you have to start from the beginning) of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's an HBO production and includes a wide variety of comedy that someone could be offended by including the F & C words, race and colour, the French, the Swiss, Jews, all genders, the lot. Nobody could be upset at not being included, but suffice to say I watch without Mrs Earle!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Complaints about different generations having different attitudes are an easy way out for television programme commissioners. It's not the criticism that's important, but the reaction to it. There is no more pressure from Twitter complaints now than there was from the Viewers and Listeners Association back in the seventies and eighties. The difference is that back then, there were people within the television industry willing to fight criticism of what they thought to be worthwhile. Nowadays, there are just careerist executives and the overwhelming fear of the channel ever being criticised for anything.

On a recent podcast Alexei Sayle spoke of his past working with the BBC on one of his series, I think it was 'Stuff'. In one episode he did a sketch that referenced Snow White. Disney threatened to sue and he was sent to see the BBC's lawyer. Her response was 'F*@k Disney, we're the BBC.'

The lawyer could show that kind of confidence because of the organisation's unshakeable position. Unfortunately, decades of mismanagement combined with political and economic attacks has removed this level of security. The response nowadays would be 'Very sorry Disney, we won't do it again,' the same craven apology that would be given to any sizeable Twitter or Facebook campaign. When was the last time you saw an under pressure TV executive come to the media and say: 'Yes, some people may have been offended, but we maintain that the programme as a whole was worth causing the offence'? This used to happen weekly on 'Right to Reply' back in the eighties.

Nowadays, whilst politicians are able to refuse to resign or even apologise when caught red handed, the TV companies are terrified of pressure from all sides. Those who benefit from the cultural wars portray this as the result of the 'Woke' generation's power, when really, it is rooted in the political and economic challenges of every organisation feeling that it has no choice but to kowtow to the capriciousness of the marketplace.

Superb post, very well articulated

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
: If you go to a Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle gig and get offended ...tough s*** , you knew what to expect . .

Or do you?

It is going back a few years, but at one of the Ross Noble gigs, a couple got up to leave fairly shortly into the second half.
Ross stopped and asked them why were they leaving, did they have a train to catch. (He has on the odd occasion offered to pay for a taxi).
The reply was that they were in fact leaving early, as they didn't find him funny and in fact had been offended by his last joke.
There followed a tirade from Ross, as to why had they bothered to get tickets then, as his style should be well known, and they could f*** off then.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm working my way through all episodes (you have to start from the beginning) of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's an HBO production and includes a wide variety of comedy that someone could be offended by including the F & C words, race and colour, the French, the Swiss, Jews, all genders, the lot. Nobody could be upset at not being included, but suffice to say I watch without Mrs Earle!

Is it any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

And it got an innocent man off a murder charge: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...rb-your-enthusiasm-saved-a-man-from-death-row

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Complaints about different generations having different attitudes are an easy way out for television programme commissioners. It's not the criticism that's important, but the reaction to it. There is no more pressure from Twitter complaints now than there was from the Viewers and Listeners Association back in the seventies and eighties. The difference is that back then, there were people within the television industry willing to fight criticism of what they thought to be worthwhile. Nowadays, there are just careerist executives and the overwhelming fear of the channel ever being criticised for anything.

On a recent podcast Alexei Sayle spoke of his past working with the BBC on one of his series, I think it was 'Stuff'. In one episode he did a sketch that referenced Snow White. Disney threatened to sue and he was sent to see the BBC's lawyer. Her response was 'F*@k Disney, we're the BBC.'

The lawyer could show that kind of confidence because of the organisation's unshakeable position. Unfortunately, decades of mismanagement combined with political and economic attacks has removed this level of security. The response nowadays would be 'Very sorry Disney, we won't do it again,' the same craven apology that would be given to any sizeable Twitter or Facebook campaign. When was the last time you saw an under pressure TV executive come to the media and say: 'Yes, some people may have been offended, but we maintain that the programme as a whole was worth causing the offence'? This used to happen weekly on 'Right to Reply' back in the eighties.

Nowadays, whilst politicians are able to refuse to resign or even apologise when caught red handed, the TV companies are terrified of pressure from all sides. Those who benefit from the cultural wars portray this as the result of the 'Woke' generation's power, when really, it is rooted in the political and economic challenges of every organisation feeling that it has no choice but to kowtow to the capriciousness of the marketplace.

Great post mate

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
There's something very wrong with your outlook when you resort to demonised those for trying to be nicer people more considerate of others.

No ones demonising mate, if that’s your game then play on, the issue is the people telling us what we should be watching that’s all, we’re grown up enough to know when the boundaries have been crossed

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spot on :clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

You will not be disappointed. For me, CYE and Partridge are in a comedy pantheon of their own.

The fact Larry David is Jewish with self-deprecating humour means - from a comedy viewpoint - there is literally no subject off-limits. He is brave, he goes to some dangerous places but he always pulls it off. Who else would get away with saying the N-word to a black man on TV these days?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Comedy is fine and always has been, it's the butthurt wankers out there that need to chill out. Everyone seems to be offended by everything these days, especially if it doesn't affect them directly in any way.
Part of my charm is my offensiveness, I'll never change who I am to please the PC do-gooders. I enjoy making people laugh, it makes me happy and them, life is way too short to take everything so seriously all the time.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Comedy is fine and always has been, it's the butthurt wankers out there that need to chill out. Everyone seems to be offended by everything these days, especially if it doesn't affect them directly in any way.
Part of my charm is my offensiveness, I'll never change who I am to please the PC do-gooders. I enjoy making people laugh, it makes me happy and them, life is way too short to take everything so seriously all the time.

Stop being so butthurt and accept people have different views to you.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

So why take people who are offended by everything or PC do-gooders so seriously then - or have I missed the comedy irony in your post?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So why take people who are offended by everything or PC do-gooders so seriously then - or have I missed the comedy irony in your post?

Who said I was taking them seriously?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
What can you make jokes about any more?

1.We live at a time when stories of racism and sexism dominate the news.

2. We have lived through 4 years of Brexit that has divided the country.

3. Covid has killed tens of thousands, while waiting lists for medical treatment is at record levels and damage to people's mental health is rife.

4. The proliferation of social media and TV channels mean there are fewer points of cultural reference we can all identify with.

5. People don't read as much as they used to.

6. Celebrities who exercise strong or controversial opinions are ridiculed, silenced or sacked.

It is my personal view that the quality of comedy on our screens has plummeted. I'll give two examples:

Spitting Image - a pale shadow of its former glory.
Zapped - A half-hour sitcom with an excellent cast (James Buckley, Paul Kaye, Steve Coogan, Tim Key, Phil Daniels, Sally Phillips) but a woefully bland script.

Where does comedy go from this point?

Really? I grew up with Hi-De-Hi, Allo Allo etc. While there were plenty of classics ‘don’t tell him Pike’ there was plenty of derivative dross.

I started watching the Mighty Boosh again recently, wonderful stuff.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
That ended 14 years ago. :)

That’s true. But there’s great comedy like The Young Offenders etc. that I watch with my teenage kids that has me in stitches and is anything but PC. I think TV is changing so you don’t have the big Sunday night or Friday night slot for a big comedy show. It’s a bit more niche which is great imho as comedy that tries to be funny to 6m+ people each time very often isn’t funny.

We remember some of the old classics but forget all the other dross that used to be put out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here