Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is automatic promotion out of the question ?

Jimmy Grimble

Interestingly but slightly o/t, we have fewer points now than we did at this stage of the season last year. This stage last year we were on 53, currently on 52.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Interestingly but slightly o/t, we have fewer points now than we did at this stage of the season last year. This stage last year we were on 53, currently on 52.

It was around this time that the whole thing went tits up ... hopefully we have learnt from that and won't make the same mistakes again

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Funnily enough I said to someone this morning that you couldn't rule it out when you look at the league table. However, whilst I think we are capable of catching a few of the stumbling teams like Boro, Leicester and Palace, and at a push Hull, I really can't see us catching Watford. They are just on too good a run and it's hard to see that suddenly stopping. Win the next five though and it may look very interesting!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No chance, not even 1%. Cardiff are too far ahead now, and the chances of both Watford and Hull dropping enough points (particularly Watford) for us to overhaul 10 points in 13 games are minimal.
10 points, but with 1 game in hand. Win that and it's only 7 points. So it could be done, but no, I don't think we're good enough to mount a challenge. 6th would do me just fine.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I looked at this over the weekend and going by last years final standings, we can only afford to drop 3 more points.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Funnily enough I said to someone this morning that you couldn't rule it out when you look at the league table. However, whilst I think we are capable of catching a few of the stumbling teams like Boro, Leicester and Palace, and at a push Hull, I really can't see us catching Watford. They are just on too good a run and it's hard to see that suddenly stopping. Win the next five though and it may look very interesting!

10 points, but with 1 game in hand. Win that and it's only 7 points. So it could be done, but no, I don't think we're good enough to mount a challenge. 6th would do me just fine.

Exactly, I bounced this thread not because I thought it was really likely we could get second, more that suddenly it has appeared in view, like we have just turned a corner in a race and suddenly the front runners we can see again, suddenly we have a bit more spring in our step, suddenly with a big kick at the end, we could get close to catching them...

Plus I need the automatic route as my wife booked us a family holiday for half term from 25 May - 01 June. I didn't give it much thought at the time....:facepalm:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

My point was that there would be a small chance if we had to overhaul only 1 team that were a potential 7 points ahead; however there are 2 of them and even if we were consistent enough to put a run together, the chances of both of them dropping enough points are lower than a snake's tits.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Any think is possible, aim for the stars!, shot from the hip!, aim high and that way the playoffs look odds on.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I cant see it at all. Not one bit. Watford are on fire - they are beating sides at home and then very regularly hammering sides away from home. Cardiff had a massive result after our win - winning away at Wolves probably has reassured them that this is not the beginning of a wobble.

cant see any sides other than Cardiff and WAtford getting the top two slots.

Anyway all I care about is whether we cling on to 6th.

And the the spectre of the Scum in the play offs. It makes my heart shudder.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anything is possible but.

Cardiff are virtually up already and I can't see us overtaking Wudinese.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No chance, not even 1%. Cardiff are too far ahead now, and the chances of both Watford and Hull dropping enough points (particularly Watford) for us to overhaul 10 points in 13 games are minimal. Best we could hope for would be 4th, which is as good as 6th IMO.

I hate to point this out, but of course there is a chance. Unlikely IMO, but a chance, nonetheless.

My prediction is that I think we will make the play-offs, but Leicester will emerge victorious.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Of course it's out of the question, we would need at least 86 points, so 34 from the last 39 available.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
One, ONE, stat to hang on to:

Watford have only won 3 of their 10 non-saturday games (losing 5 of them!).
They have another 5 to go before the end of the season . . . .

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
I need the automatic route as my wife booked us a family holiday for half term from 25 May - 01 June. I didn't give it much thought at the time....:facepalm:
That's me that is. Exactly the same.
Definitely can't see automatic promotion happening, but play off finals...inevitable. Doh!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Plus I need the automatic route as my wife booked us a family holiday for half term from 25 May - 01 June. I didn't give it much thought at the time....:facepalm:

It's a schoolboy error...and one I have also made. Catastrophic gaffe, booked away for wife's dream trip with kids in half-term week to do Vesuvius/Sorrento/Capri etc. I swore after Wembley 83 I would never miss another really big match ever, after trekking to bloody Scarborough, Macclesfield and the like in League Two.

There are no excuses - even though they have completely changed play-off dates around from last season. I found myself yesterday trying to plot a way back to a possible play-off final on May 27 from a campsite lodge in Sorrento to Wembley and back in a day. Basically it can't be done. Wife went nuts I was even looking. I just looked miserable. It may never happen...but sometimes you just get that feeling. And this has happened before, it cost me about £400 to get back from Turkey for Bristol City.

Never mind, it'll only be Palace...biggest match in club's history...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One, ONE, stat to hang on to:

Watford have only won 3 of their 10 non-saturday games (losing 5 of them!).
They have another 5 to go before the end of the season . . . .

What a wonderful stat! :lolol:

I think it could happen, so long as Watford have a little wobble and we win almost every single game. I see no reason why we can't win 11 and draw 2 of our last 13. We're a DAMN good football team and if we want to go up automatically, we know what we have to do.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
It's a schoolboy error...and one I have also made. Catastrophic gaffe, booked away for wife's dream trip with kids in half-term week to do Vesuvius/Sorrento/Capri etc. I swore after Wembley 83 I would never miss another really big match ever, after trekking to bloody Scarborough, Macclesfield and the like in League Two.

There are no excuses - even though they have completely changed play-off dates around from last season. I found myself yesterday trying to plot a way back to a possible play-off final on May 27 from a campsite lodge in Sorrento to Wembley and back in a day. Basically it can't be done. Wife went nuts I was even looking. I just looked miserable. It may never happen...but sometimes you just get that feeling. And this has happened before, it cost me about £400 to get back from Turkey for Bristol City.

Never mind, it'll only be Palace...biggest match in club's history...

Shall we form a support group?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
What a wonderful stat! :lolol:

I think it could happen, so long as Watford have a little wobble and we win almost every single game. I see no reason why we can't win 11 and draw 2 of our last 13. We're a DAMN good football team and if we want to go up automatically, we know what we have to do.

Yup I was quite proud of it. BELIEVE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here