Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ashley Barnes...

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You can't judge him when he's played as a lone striker. He needs to work with someone upfront to have a chance of scoring. Even Ulloa struggles with the system we play, when he (or Barnes) receives the ball they're both about 40 yards from the nearest person they can pass to. Really needs to be sorted out soon.
Off course you can't judge him as a lone striker. But it didn't stop people judging CMS when Doppey Bollox played him as a lone striker.

FWIW I don't think Oscar rates Barnes, and as soon as everyones fit, I think he'll be moved on. You only have to watch Oscars reaction when Barnes messes up, I get the feeling Lita will start Monday. But I think its hard and unfair to judge anyone at the moment. Apart from the back 5, the rest of the team is injured! Give it time. I still think we will comfortably make the play offs. We just need our first team back!!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Off course you can't judge him as a lone striker. But it didn't stop people judging CMS when Doppey Bollox played him as a lone striker.

Come on, when we play Buckley and/or LuaLua they are playing as wingers. So we've either got 2 upfront or 3. Only when neither of them are playing are we asking a striker to play lone upfront.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
When Barnes leaves I get the feeling we'll miss him a lot more than he'll miss us, I wish him well wherever he ends up though. ( Unless it's at smellhurst )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on, when we play Buckley and/or LuaLua they are playing as wingers. So we've either got 2 upfront or 3. Only when neither of them are playing are we asking a striker to play lone upfront.
Exactly CMS had to deal with Barnes as a 'holding' left winger :shrug: and Spanish Dave.

CMS must be chomping at the bit to play in the same team as Buckley, KLL, and/or Ulloa.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Exactly CMS had to deal with Barnes as a 'holding' left winger :shrug: and Spanish Dave.

CMS must be chomping at the bit to play in the same team as Buckley, KLL, and/or Ulloa.

Must be gutting for CMS having never played with Buckley or Lualua before...

Haven't been in the same team for 2 seasons or anything..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Must be gutting for CMS having never played with Buckley or Lualua before...

Haven't been in the same team for 2 seasons or anything..
Ask WikiAcker how many times, and more importantly for how long, were CMS Buckley and KLL on the same pitch at the same time.

I bet Barnes over the few games this year has spent more time with them than CMS did over the last 2 seasons.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Doubt he's still on £1.5k probably something like £3k maybe now.

Obviously he hasn't scored yet as some people have expected him too. His supply has been shocking though. Ulloa has struggled up front on his own yet this hasn't stood out due to the fact he's put a few away. Nowhere near as many as we've needed to though.

I challenge you to try find a game where Barnes has had 3/4 decent chances. Thats what any decent striker including Ulloa or in the Prem usually needs to score. As for the person talking of his header at Yeovil, wasn't a bad effort. Don't think anyone realises how hard a skill that is. Doubt Ulloa would've put that away, and none of us would be highlighting it as a shocking miss.

Some absolute morons on this thread, will be nice to bring it back up again when he's put a few away and he's popular again. Basically the 'what does spanish dave do?' thread all over again

if you had the angle i had at yeovil for the header, then you WOULD realise what a sitter it was. a professional footballer should have found that technique straight-forward. my main point was about people saying that he's not a lone striker etc so shouldn't be blamed for not scoring. it makes no difference what your positional strength is when you are in a good 'goal-scoring position' and you miss . the header i referred to, was just an example of one of these good chances that he all too often misses. as i have also mentioned in these conversation i would be happy to see barnes improve his finishing and go on to be a brighton player we all end up respecting. i was tempted to end with calling you a 'moron', but instead, i will respect your opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
if you had the angle i had at yeovil for the header, then you WOULD realise what a sitter it was. a professional footballer should have found that technique straight-forward. my main point was about people saying that he's not a lone striker etc so shouldn't be blamed for not scoring. it makes no difference what your positional strength is when you are in a good 'goal-scoring position' and you miss . the header i referred to, was just an example of one of these good chances that he all too often misses. as i have also mentioned in these conversation i would be happy to see barnes improve his finishing and go on to be a brighton player we all end up respecting. i was tempted to end with calling you a 'moron', but instead, i will respect your opinion.

Are you suggesting that Barnes has missed plenty of "sitters" this season? All strikers miss them occasionally and in the games I've seen Barnes has had very very few clear cut chances but worked the keeper on quite few of them.

Highlighting one miss, that I didn't see I accept really isn't good enough if you are going to slate a player for being no good. I'd expect you to be able to highlight a few a game. Can we have some more examples of "sitters" that he has missed?

I think he has had shit and I mean absolute shit service in the games I've seen so, seeing as he quite obviously isn't a lone striker, it seems very unreasonable IMO to single him out as as poor player. There are quite a few in the team at the moment that you could beat with the same stick.

Anyway I await with interest this very long list of sitter misses he has apparently made. Maybe some of the other Barnes haters can help you out, because I don't think this list is going to be very long.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barnes was given a contract as a squad player, not as a first team choice in the Championship, and should be viewed as such.

If KLL or Buckley had had a decent pair of hamstrings last season he would have had far fewer appearances, and if Hoskins had not been injured in training at the start of last season, which prevented a player swap that would have brought us guaranteed promotion, then he would be at a different club by now anyway.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes can be utility , Barnes can be a match winner . Bottom line is Barnes is a good squad player but proved is not the main man as had a chance to step up
And hasn't .

This. He is currently blowing his chance. IF he doesn't want to sign his new contract, THEN it's good bye and thank you from me. We CAN EASILY do better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here