Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ashley Barnes...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't think I have ever heard so many excuses made up for one player and why??? Because the Barnes lovers just can't admit they were wrong and he is actually crap. And the fact he has scored a few goals in the past, which is what he is paid to do doesn't change the fact he is crap...Player does what he is paid to do occasionally ,,,,,,shocker!!!!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think I have ever heard so many excuses made up for one player and why??? Because the Barnes lovers just can't admit they were wrong and he is actually crap. And the fact he has scored a few goals in the past, which is what he is paid to do doesn't change the fact he is crap...Player does what he is paid to do occasionally ,,,,,,shocker!!!!!

Come now. Only six players have scored more Brighton goals in the past thirty years. That's not to be sniffed at.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hmmmm, I'm not convinced by that.

Buckley & KLL starting.
Crofts pushed forward.
The full backs allowed to roam forward, as usual.

CMS had to put up with 2 sometimes even 3 holding midfielders.
A holding left winger, in the shape of Barnes, and SD on t'other wing.
All in a team that slowly inched the ball forward.

Now THAT'S f**k all support.

We are a damn sight quicker moving forward, just pretty ineffective when we get there.

Yes the players are there - but if they do nothing - which they havent really - then you cant score.

As i said, Barnes needs to play off another striker, another club would do this so if he was to leave - expect him to score loads.

We will need him in league 1, which is where we are heading!

Looking at how some teams are playing today.....we would need to have our entire team injured to get as bad as some teams. Besides - he was brilliant in L1 !!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Well said Kev, after all, you've scored against Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Palace in your career too.

We should have let him go to Burnley in the transfer window OR offer him a decent contract. The club did neither and have to take some responsibility. The current situation is a mess of their own making.

For the money we paid for him and the £1,500 a week he is paid he represents excellent value. He is starting matches through a lack of alternatives rather than on form, but he is not the only player looking poor at present.

It's a shame that people like you get a hard on from forming a lynch mob rather than getting behind the team.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Or does it show that he has had f**k all support from other players all season ?

Cant score if you dont get a supply. Besides, Barnes isnt suitable playing as a lone sticker - he needs someone to play off - and vice versa.

he has had supply. i was behind the goal at yeovil, the header(which came from a great cross from conway) he had in first half forced an easy save but he had 2 - 3 yards more space between the goalies hand and the post. he just not good enough at finishing!!

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
for the record i've not had a go about barnes until recently. i try to give players a chance and my support for as long as i can. as he is a brighton player and he is up for debate i've felt compelled to give my opinion on the odd occasion. i just feel that he takes one step forward and two back - both with his ability and his behavior. however i'm always hoping any brighton player improves or changes their game for the better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well said Kev, after all, you've scored against Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Palace in your career too.

We should have let him go to Burnley in the transfer window OR offer him a decent contract. The club did neither and have to take some responsibility. The current situation is a mess of their own making.

For the money we paid for him and the £1,500 a week he is paid he represents excellent value. He is starting matches through a lack of alternatives rather than on form, but he is not the only player looking poor at present.

It's a shame that people like you get a hard on from forming a lynch mob rather than getting behind the team.

This.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Is Ashley Barnes strong? No.
Is he quick? No.
Can he go past people with skill? Definitely not.
Does he out jump central defenders in the air? No
Can he create space in the box? Yes.
Does he finish when he gets the chance? He misses far more than he scores.
Has he ever made the difference in any match? No - we have never get any points to look back and think 'thank God we've got Barnes in the side'.
He did fine like most strikers would in Gus's team but we can't expect him to do anything in a struggling team or make the difference in a good team when the game is tight.
He should be thanking the fact that he was played out on the left for a while as this took the pressure off the fact that he's not a great front man. This idea too that he works really hard doesn't hold up when you see how much Ulloa chases others around. He's doe ok for us and good when you think off the fee but wish we sold him to Burnley even with the lack of strikers we've got.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does he finish when he gets the chance? He misses far more than he scores.
Has any striker, in all of soccerball, ever scored more than they missed?

If that player does/did exist was he plying his trade in the second division of English football?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Here's to a Barnes stormer on Monday :thumbsup:

I'd love it to paraphrase KK

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has any striker, in all of soccerball, ever scored more than they missed?

If that player does/did exist was he plying his trade in the second division of English football?

Liverpool should have won 18-16 today, or if we go on shots on target it should have been 7-4. Poor effort I say for the money they are paid to find the back of the net.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We won't get the best out of him all the time we isolate him up front on his own. Very few strikers can play the lone striker role effectively and even fewer teams are prolific with just 1 striker on the pitch. If we are serious about competing we have to be adventurous and play a second man up front even if the 2nd man plays deep and links the play to the striker.

Take a look at Burnley, they don't dominate possession or have a large amount of quality across the pitch but they have 2 difficult strikers to mark and midfielders who play the ball into dangerous positions and sometimes Vokes and or Ings grab a goal or two which makes winning a lot easier

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Don't think it's a question of making repeated excuses for Barnes and can't see that we've got much by way of alternatives upfront at the moment. I still think he'll come good and reckon he's done more than enough during his time with us to warrant ongoing support accepting that he's exposed, through no fault of his own, in the lone striker role which is not his forte. His temperament also seems to be better this season.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Regardless of whether you like him or not, for me he is the luckiest player I have seen.

He got in Gus's Championship team either as added cover for the full back or as a defensive midfielder willing to do the work no-one else was prepared to do.

This season this role isn't needed so he has to fight for a place upfront. He obviously can't compete with Ulloa for that position but instead Ulloa gets a 3 match ban followed by a long-term injury.

It's like opportunities arise for him not based on his ability but because we have no-one else to fulfil that role.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

And CMS who has played up front on more occasions has done so much better. As has been pointed out time and time again, Poyet rated him, Dyche obviously does and also allegedly at least 2 other prem teams. I would say they all know considerably more than yourself.

Before you mention Oscar, he hasn't proved himself at this level yet......... Though hopefully when players return he will.

Edit. He is off form at the minute though, like a number of his colleagues.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

:clap2::clap2:

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Doubt he's still on £1.5k probably something like £3k maybe now.

Obviously he hasn't scored yet as some people have expected him too. His supply has been shocking though. Ulloa has struggled up front on his own yet this hasn't stood out due to the fact he's put a few away. Nowhere near as many as we've needed to though.

I challenge you to try find a game where Barnes has had 3/4 decent chances. Thats what any decent striker including Ulloa or in the Prem usually needs to score. As for the person talking of his header at Yeovil, wasn't a bad effort. Don't think anyone realises how hard a skill that is. Doubt Ulloa would've put that away, and none of us would be highlighting it as a shocking miss.

Some absolute morons on this thread, will be nice to bring it back up again when he's put a few away and he's popular again. Basically the 'what does spanish dave do?' thread all over again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here