Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone now feeling sorry for Sami?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I don't feel sorry for him. Any competent manager is expected to maximise the effectiveness of the resources made available to him. If that involves modifying his preferred tactics to suit these playing resources, then so be it. The player communication aspects should be adjusted according to the individual player's character (I.e. some carrot, some stick, some cuddle) - yet it appeared to be mainly by telepathy during recent games. Furthermore, he would/should have made himself fully aware of the formal strucure at the club regarding recruitment and any other associated influences, be they formal, informal or political.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You could have given Hyypia the squad Poyet had in his last season and I think we'd still have been at the wrong end of the table. I don't feel vaguely sorry for him, he has ruined this season for me with his bizarre and ultimately clueless tactics

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nope, didn't get the most out of the players and poor tactics throughout. Good bloke, but poor manager (although the players seem genuinely gutted he left)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sad for both personally but was necessary for the club. I'm sure both will survive Christmas.

Burke will get a similar job elsewhere. Hyypia though is now damaged goods.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I absolutely feel sorry for him - but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision for him to move on.

He seems a genuine bloke, and was clearly dealt a poor hand - but still played it badly. I believe under the 'right' manager (whoever that may have been) we'd be a fair bit higher than 22nd.

I'm more than happy to wish him the best for the future though. Plenty of Liverpool fans want him on the coaching team up at Anfield - hope that works out for him if he does so.

Agree with this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope, didn't get the most out of the players and poor tactics throughout. Good bloke, but poor manager (although the players seem genuinely gutted he left)
Although not gutted enough to stop:-

- Lunging in.
- All but throwing the ball in you're own net.
- Shooting at you're own 'keeper.
- Ducking the ball when in the wall.
- Refusing to pass forward.
- Only ever shooting over the bar.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You could have given Hyypia the squad Poyet had in his last season and I think we'd still have been at the wrong end of the table. I don't feel vaguely sorry for him, he has ruined this season for me with his bizarre and ultimately clueless tactics

Well we will only be able to judge him fairly, if this is the case, when the new manager is here. I doubt we will get any new players in on the 1st January so he will have to use the same squad for most of it. I just hope the players don't let the new man down as much as they did Sami.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
With the Burker bombshell hitting home, does Sami become the 'right man at the wrong time?'

Tony is admitting we haven't got a competitive squad, and that isn't down to Sami.
Perhaps Sami was unfairly treated by everybody connected to the Albion.

The other way to look at is! Maybe in the summer some of the boards manager targets would not be interested in working with Burke. Fast forward to today and maybe Tony has had to make the job more attractive to some of the managers being mentioned on here. Maybe Tony put to much trust in the wrong people.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Burke AND Sami had to go. I don't feel sorry for either of them.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I felt sorry for him, even though i was watching the Millwall game on wiziwig with people waving at him and giving him abuse from the crowd. He seemed like a decent chap and his resignation letter was a credit to him. Probably best for everyone that he moves on, but hope he finds another job to suit him, maybe helping the defence at Liverpool.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well we will only be able to judge him fairly, if this is the case, when the new manager is here. I doubt we will get any new players in on the 1st January so he will have to use the same squad for most of it. I just hope the players don't let the new man down as much as they did Sami.

Hyypia let himself down though. Might take the squad a few games to get their confidence back as they are LED by someone who knows what he is doing ( hopefully Bloom will not **** up again on the manager).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No it was a combination of Hyypia's naive system and tactics and poor signings that got us into this mess. The player recruitment didn't help, but everyone could see that team selections were baffling!

The naive system that the recruitment team bought into at the interview, how naive is that! How simply were Burke and his crew to think that playing wing backs, like Alf Ramsey did in 1966 (wingless wonders) was going to be radical and change the face of the Championship. Sami did what he said he would do and it didn't work, it was those who failed to question and understand his strategy that should be brought to book. The task of recruiting a manager appears to have been very poorly thought out, poorly transacted and poorly put into practice. As I suggested in October Sami will be the fall guy for the inadequacies of the executive!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I feel sorry for anyone losing a job they wanted and enjoyed doing. However, in Sami's case he'll still have plenty of food on the table and other good jobs will come his way, so it's no great shakes. I wish him well for the future.

On a pure footballing level I only have limited sympathy for him too. I said all along he was dealt a bad hand in terms of squad quality/injuries, and I stand by that. However, he really didn't seem to have any idea how to get the best out of what he had and tactically he didn't appear to have much of a clue either. He really had to go, and when he did finally go it was already a good few games too late. At least he made the inevitable a smooth process and I thank him for that.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The other way to look at is! Maybe in the summer some of the boards manager targets would not be interested in working with Burke. Fast forward to today and maybe Tony has had to make the job more attractive to some of the managers being mentioned on here. Maybe Tony put to much trust in the wrong people.

The last sentence sums it up, can someone tell Barber 'its about the football stupid' not programmes, pies oh and of course not ceo of the year. Currently he is presiding over a failing business and what are his comments on our predicament,.......... that's it silence.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Feel a bit sorry for him as a person, but I'm a BHAFC fan first and foremost so his departure was long overdue.
Had to be done.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hyypia let himself down though. Might take the squad a few games to get their confidence back as the are LED by someone who knows what he is doing ( hopefully Bloom will not **** up again on the manager)

In what sense? Just because fans questioned the tactics and starting 11 doesn't really mean anything, as they were exactly the same questions that arose under Gus and Oscar. The real test is how the new manager will work this and I suspect the same questions will still be asked.

Hyypia didn't let himself down, he did his best and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The last sentence sums it up, can someone tell Barber 'its about the football stupid' not programmes, pies oh and of course not ceo of the year. Currently he is presiding over a failing business and what are his comments on our predicament,.......... that's it silence.
But Barber's job is all about the programmes, pies etc.

Tony is responsible for our predicament and it would seem, today, he has said plenty on the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here