Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 screen repair?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Had my iPhone 6 screen replaced last year, had lots of quotes from third party repairers, but how ever opted to go to the apple shop, cost £90, but well worth the extra £30 as you know it has been done properly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If it's just the screen cracked then it may be worth doing it yourself. New screen off eBay and loads of "how to" instruction videos on you tube. If you are reasonably confident/dexterous it's a pretty simple repair and will probably cost you under £20.
If it's the touch screen function it's a little more tricky first time but still perfectly do-able at a cost of around £60.
Armoured glass screen protector is worth looking at :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's marvellous if you are running non Apple phones, I have never cracked a screen with the range of phones I have used over the years. It's staggering the amount of people that pay over the odds to buy iPhone's despite the famous screen design flaw. I suppose that's the price for being " cool "...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's marvellous if you are running non Apple phones, I have never cracked a screen with the range of phones I have used over the years. It's staggering the amount of people that pay over the odds to buy iPhone's despite the famous screen design flaw. I suppose that's the price for being " cool "...

It is weird, because I've NEVER seen anyone else with another make of phone with a CRACKED screen. How can all these other manufacturers make unbreakable glass and Apple can't!?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd never heard of this "Error 53" issue on iPhones before. So Apple are deliberately, and without warning, bricking their customers devices.

Wow. Just wow.

The issue is arising due to the thumb print recognition. With Apple Pay now, you can effectively get into a huge amount of data through the home button. SO, in taking that home button/screen replacement to some 3rd party for a replacement part, you could end up with some chipped hacked component that steals all your data. Or so it goes.

They are already facing a law suit in the US for not making this public or announcing it would happen. You'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to explain given the security aspect is at least plausible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The issue is arising due to the thumb print recognition. With Apple Pay now, you can effectively get into a huge amount of data through the home button. SO, in taking that home button/screen replacement to some 3rd party for a replacement part, you could end up with some chipped hacked component that steals all your data. Or so it goes.

They are already facing a law suit in the US for not making this public or announcing it would happen. You'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to explain given the security aspect is at least plausible.

But many people who have damaged phones haven't even taken them for repairs though, or had anything on them replaced. They've continued using them with no issues, and its then been bricked by Apple as soon as they've downloaded the latest update. All data, all pics, all files, permanently gone. Irretrievable, with NO warning.

Astonishing. And there's no mention of Error 53 on Apples website, its not one of the listed error codes with a definition or explanation.

Still, its another way to lock you in to making sure you go to THEM and pay the £236 for any repairs. What. A. Company.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But many people who have damaged phones haven't even taken them for repairs though, or had anything on them replaced. They've continued using them with no issues, and its then been bricked by Apple as soon as they've downloaded the latest update. All data, all pics, all files, permanently gone. Irretrievable, with NO warning.

Astonishing. And there's no mention of Error 53 on Apples website, its not one of the listed error codes with a definition or explanation.

Still, its another way to lock you in to making sure you go to THEM and pay the £236 for any repairs. What. A. Company.

I think this error only occurs if the software detects that the home button is not the original installed, or an approved replacement. I didn't see anything in regard to damaged phones without having any 3rd party replacement parts getting the error...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

It is weird, because I've NEVER seen anyone else with another make of phone with a CRACKED screen. How can all these other manufacturers make unbreakable glass and Apple can't!?

Apple sucks! And I've got one!!!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this error only occurs if the software detects that the home button is not the original installed, or an approved replacement. I didn't see anything in regard to damaged phones without having any 3rd party replacement parts getting the error...

Its mentioned here http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

"It has also reportedly affected customers whose phone has been damaged but who have been able to carry on using it without the need for a repair.

But the problem only comes to light when the latest version of Apple’s iPhone software, iOS 9, is installed. Indeed, the phone may have been working perfectly for weeks or months since a repair or being damaged."

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its mentioned here http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

"It has also reportedly affected customers whose phone has been damaged but who have been able to carry on using it without the need for a repair.

But the problem only comes to light when the latest version of Apple’s iPhone software, iOS 9, is installed. Indeed, the phone may have been working perfectly for weeks or months since a repair or being damaged."

Glad I've stuck with my 5 for now.

If it is about security, then they should have done more to make it crystal clear as to what might happen with the update.
https://theoverspill.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/explaining-the-iphones-error53-and-why-it-puts-apple-between-conspiracy-and-rock-hard-security/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've not followed this story at all, but isn't that saying the same thing: if Touch ID is believed to be compromised (unapproved replacement or damaged) the phone will protect itself and the data upon it?

iOS 9 has been out for 5 months now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not followed this story at all, but isn't that saying the same thing: if Touch ID is believed to be compromised (unapproved replacement or damaged) the phone will protect itself and the data upon it?

iOS 9 has been out for 5 months now.

So in effect, if your iPhone 6 becomes damaged, you have no choice but to pay their £236 to have it fixed - and you'd better know about it before you download an update, or Apple brick it and you lose everything. If you're not somewhere at that time that has an iPhone store or repair centre - tough. If you can't afford to have it fixed by an approved vendor - tough. Hand over your £236 to Apple, or lose everything.

I dunno why Apple don't just make it literally self destruct, Mission Impossible style with a small explosion and just have done with it.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I've just bought a second hand iPhone 6 which I got cheap because there's a fair size chip in the border around the screen, not on the actual display itself. Reluctant to spend the 80 odd quid to get it repaired I've stuck a small piece of white adhesive paper over the chip so that it doesn't look as bad. But I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to fill a chip with some kind of filler? I reckon a bit of filler lightly sanded down and then covered with a thin coat of clear varnish would look a lot less unsightly than it does now, has anyone ever tried this with any success? Is there such a thing as plastic filler and where would I get it from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here