iPhone 5

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Having had an iPhone 3gs, an android and now a 4s I can safely say that IPhones PISS all over androids in pretty much every department, perhaps excluding the screen size..

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
This should help

Open the Calculator. Hold down the power button on top of the phone until "slide to power off" appears. Let go of the power button and press and hold the home button. The power off message will disappear and the app will close.

This link How To Recalibrate iPhone Home Button To Make It More Responsive | Redmond Pie was posted earlier in the thread. I've had some problems with double clicking the home button to show all apps that are open, sometimes it would take 3 or 4 attempts to do the right thing, I followed the instructions on the link and it works a treat.

Yeah, cheers. I have tried this, it definately speeds it up, but mine just doesn't react at all sometimes, its not just slowness. The double click for me is a 'mare! Think there's definately something amiss on the actual insides.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
6pm our time (UK)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't know if its been posted (lazy) but the apple store is now reading 'we are busy updating'

http://store.apple.com/us

Bizarrely early given there'll be nothing on there until at least 7pm our time. Preparing for the zillions of pre-orders no doubt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't know if its been posted (lazy) but the apple store is now reading 'we are busy updating'

http://store.apple.com/us

Bizarrely early given there'll be nothing on there until at least 7pm our time. Preparing for the zillions of pre-orders no doubt.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Having had an iPhone 3gs, an android and now a 4s I can safely say that IPhones PISS all over androids in pretty much every department, perhaps excluding the screen size..

This sentence makes no sense whatsoever? You're comparing a manufacturer's handset to an operating system? One is physical, one is software. That's like saying the technical specs of a Macbook Pro are far better than Linux.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
This sentence makes no sense whatsoever? You're comparing a manufacturer's handset to an operating system? One is physical, one is software. That's like saying the technical specs of a Macbook Pro are far better than Linux.

Sigh, you know what I meant...

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Sigh, you know what I meant...

No, I don't. Which Android handset were you using? Comparing an iPhone 3 & 4 to some basic, entry-level Android handset will obviously give some dissatisfaction. My HTC Wildfire handset did alright, but was slow, didn't feature the latest apps and used to freeze from time to time. My new Samsung Galaxy S3 handset is a completely different world and a massive, massive improvement. Both Android, but the handsets from opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm just suggesting that your comparison doesn't really offer much depth given your obviously strong enthusiasm - suggesting that the iPhone PISSES all over your Android experience, it would've been more valuable to know which handsets you were comparing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

OK, I've only had 2 Android phones, an HTC Desire S and a Samsung Galaxy S. Both are eclipsed by an iPhone 3GS. There may be a better (hardware spec) Android phone, but if it is running Android it is just too flakey, rubbish apps, cumbersome OS, a nightmare to configure (ask our IT manager) and dreadful to actually operate.

Our firm changed form iPhones to these Googlemess phones a year ago, not one single user likes them. Most have bought their old company iPhone 3GS and continue to use them, dispite them being such old hat. Personally, I have ended up with an Android phone for work as my old iPhone was sold on before I got the chance, it's just horrible to use, in every single way.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
OK, I've only had 2 Android phones, an HTC Desire S and a Samsung Galaxy S. Both are eclipsed by an iPhone 3GS. There may be a better (hardware spec) Android phone, but if it is running Android it is just too flakey, rubbish apps, cumbersome OS, a nightmare to configure (ask our IT manager) and dreadful to actually operate.

I think, for most people, that's it's a case of what you tended to use first. I try and use my friend's iPhone or iPad, and I just get frustrated with it. Processes to do something just seem illogical or confusing, whereas I know what to do on my Android phone without any trouble at all. In terms of interfaces, they both seem fairly similar - there's icons for apps and folders you can put them in. I struggle with the iPad when trying to browse websites.

My original reason for not going with the iPhone (or iPod etc) was because I hated it's reliance on iTunes. I didn't want some big piece of software restricting what I could or couldn't listen to (from the days when illegally downloaded MP3s were commonplace). All other phones or mp3 devices just used Windows Explorer to drag & drop stuff on. My intolerance towards Apple still stems from those early days, I think.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think, for most people, that's it's a case of what you tended to use first. I try and use my friend's iPhone or iPad, and I just get frustrated with it. Processes to do something just seem illogical or confusing, whereas I know what to do on my Android phone without any trouble at all. In terms of interfaces, they both seem fairly similar - there's icons for apps and folders you can put them in. I struggle with the iPad when trying to browse websites.

My original reason for not going with the iPhone (or iPod etc) was because I hated it's reliance on iTunes. I didn't want some big piece of software restricting what I could or couldn't listen to (from the days when illegally downloaded MP3s were commonplace). All other phones or mp3 devices just used Windows Explorer to drag & drop stuff on. My intolerance towards Apple still stems from those early days, I think.

Had a HTC Hero when they were brand new, owned iPhone 3 and 4, given wife's Galaxy S3 a try, impressed by screen size but that's about it. Much prefer iOS.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I struggle with the iPad when trying to browse websites.

Why? Safari is a browser. It's no different to any other browser. If you really don't like it, then install Chrome or one of the many other browsers. They all have a URL bar, back, forward, stop and refresh buttons though. You tap links you want to navigate to.

If you can't navigate the web on an iPad, you must be special. And not in a good way.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Literally cannot wait for this contract to end on this piece of crap HTC. Endless problems, software and hardware. Will be going back to the iPhone straight away.

seagullfromamex

Apr 6, 2012
To be realistic, anybody with at least a single drop of technology knowledge would know by how superior android is over the Iphone.

First of all, hardware. For the price of an iPhone 4G (Which has a processor piece that is really weak), you can get an S3 or One X, which offer around 6 times the power of the 4G.

Second, OS. I agree that iOS is far more stable than Android, but the great thing is that Android is YOUR very own unlocked device. Once you buy it, you are allowed to do whatever you want with it, with only the radical activities would break the warranty bond. This is great for people experienced with modifying system and such.

Also, iPhone is ridiculously bad for small time software developers. You have to pay 10 times more dollars (99,99) just to be able to get a license to develop your own stuff. On the Android, on the other hand, you can get one for 9,99.

This would be just some of the reasons why I think iPhone is really the worst solution. (Except for Nokia.)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be realistic, anybody with at least a single drop of technology knowledge would know by how superior android is over the Iphone.

First of all, hardware. For the price of an iPhone 4G (Which has a processor piece that is really weak), you can get an S3 or One X, which offer around 6 times the power of the 4G.

Second, OS. I agree that iOS is far more stable than Android, but the great thing is that Android is YOUR very own unlocked device. Once you buy it, you are allowed to do whatever you want with it, with only the radical activities would break the warranty bond. This is great for people experienced with modifying system and such.

Also, iPhone is ridiculously bad for small time software developers. You have to pay 10 times more dollars (99,99) just to be able to get a license to develop your own stuff. On the Android, on the other hand, you can get one for 9,99.

This would be just some of the reasons why I think iPhone is really the worst solution. (Except for Nokia.)

Android is for geeks who have too much time to f*** around trying to make their phone work and be stable. Apple is for those who want a polished, working product with a strong app set.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports