Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Apple spends a huge amount on research and development, both for hardware and software. Does that figure take that into account?

thats a conservative number, if you use some estimates on the bill of materials cost you could add £50 to that and still have left over for transportation to UK. the competition is similar, CPUs, memory, screens, camera and manufacturing are all similar costs who ever the supplier.

no it wouldnt. no doubt they do spend a large nominal amount but i recall its considerably less than their peers. they got most thier OS for free, using the free BSD unix OS to underpin OS X and iOS. alot of the research occured under NeXT which Jobs ran while away from Apple through the 90's.

just got the info from here What iPhones cost to make - Yahoo! Finance UK

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Read that earlier. It's bollocks, isn't it.

I am all but wetting myself here. Excitement doesn't get any BIGGER than that.

Fortunately I can contain my excitement. I was hoping for better hardware design than the leaks. Thinner and taller will just look weird, I think. I was hoping something with more curves, something sleek and appealing. The UI could do with an update, but it appears we won't be getting that either (according to the leaks).

I'll reserve excitement until 6pm tonight, but I'm hoping these leaks are a red herring and that Apple planted them to move people away from the real product. Somehow, I don't think this is the case.

If Android wasn't so damn unstable I'd move away from Apple. I'm no longer wow'ed, I'm just a user.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Read that earlier. It's bollocks, isn't it.

I am all but wetting myself here. Excitement doesn't get any BIGGER than that.

I am waiting for the new iphone however i think the article does highlight some true/worrying facts... That android phones are increasing their market share.

I however will prob still go with the iphone, but i don't think the iphone 5 will have anything revelutionary... a bigger screen, slimmer handset and stronger screen is sadly probably about it...

I am waiting to be wowed by apple... but dont think i will be.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Android are increasing their market share due to the vast number of cheap poor quality android devices that are free on contracts. They are almost all cheaply made and of poor quality. But thats how the market share increases. The exceptions to this rule are fe wand far between but generally they are all lacking.

I bought an HTC one X because on paper and to touch the device is awesome however having had it three months I am fed up witht he flakey software and poorly developed apps in comparison to the iPhone equivalents, so the inevitable return to iPhones will happen this week and I'll sell my three month old HTC phone for less than I got for a two year old iPhone 4 three months ago.

The article states a few facts but one things for sure apple products are definitely not boring.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I am waiting for the new iphone however i think the article does highlight some true/worrying facts... That android phones are increasing their market share.

I however will prob still go with the iphone, but i don't think the iphone 5 will have anything revelutionary... a bigger screen, slimmer handset and stronger screen is sadly probably about it...

I am waiting to be wowed by apple... but dont think i will be.

Android is software sold on hundreds of devices. Apple is a hardware company that sells just the iPhone (albeit annual revisions of their product). A more apt comparison is Apple to Samsung, not Apple to Android. The comparison is just not fair. It's like comparing Cadbury sales against a Snickers bar.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Really hope these is some surprise, because it doesn't look all that exciting from the leaks. But i need a new phone, had the iPhone 4 for two years and the button is driving me mad, doesn't work half the time.

Any chance of a white version on launch?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Android is software sold on hundreds of devices. Apple is a hardware company that sells just the iPhone (albeit annual revisions of their product). A more apt comparison is Apple to Samsung, not Apple to Android. The comparison is just not fair. It's like comparing Cadbury sales against a Snickers bar.

"Last month, Samsung's Galaxy S3, with its huge 4.8in screen, outsold the iPhone 4S in the United States, the first time any smartphone has outsold the iPhone in the States."

Not really a surprise since the iPhone 5 is due out this month. Surprisingly shoddy journalism from the BBC.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Why does the phone have to excite? I want it to be stable and do all the things that the 4s does, but better. For me that's all the excitement I need.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Really hope these is some surprise, because it doesn't look all that exciting from the leaks. But i need a new phone, had the iPhone 4 for two years and the button is driving me mad, doesn't work half the time.

This should help

Open the Calculator. Hold down the power button on top of the phone until "slide to power off" appears. Let go of the power button and press and hold the home button. The power off message will disappear and the app will close.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

This should help

Open the Calculator. Hold down the power button on top of the phone until "slide to power off" appears. Let go of the power button and press and hold the home button. The power off message will disappear and the app will close.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

This link How To Recalibrate iPhone Home Button To Make It More Responsive | Redmond Pie was posted earlier in the thread. I've had some problems with double clicking the home button to show all apps that are open, sometimes it would take 3 or 4 attempts to do the right thing, I followed the instructions on the link and it works a treat.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looks spot on to me, Apple playing catch up and charging through the nose for it

Catch up with who? NASA?

My iPhone 3GS is a better, more useable piece of kit than my Android phone. I have to persevere with Googles box of shit as it's provided by work, but it is just rubbish, it crashes all the time, the apps are shoddy, and the interface is archaic.

My only disappointment is that it now seems Apples prices in the USA are pretty much equalised with UK prices now, so there is no point me buying a new iPhone when I visit the States next month.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
what time is the conference and any updates of streams or somewhere we can watch it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here