Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPad Mini or Nexus 7

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course these figures may simply show that users of NSC with Apple products visit more frequently or obsessively.

We're going way off-topic here, but despite there being a gazillion more Android devices out there than iOS devices now, Apple still dominates the mobile web in terms of usage:

http://www.akamai.com/html/io/io_dataset.html#stat=mobile_browser&top=5&type=line&start=20130209&end=20130311&net=both

Just what do most Android users do with their devices?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think it's universal, and doesn't just relate to NSC. Those with iOS devices tend to view more far, far more web pages and buy far more apps than Android users, spending much more money with these purchases.

Yes but it seems so unrepresentative. I can't understand why person a with an Apple product would look so many times more than person b with an android at threads such as 'If Gus hasn't sold Murray' etc.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have owned both an iPad Mini and Nexus 7. Both were review copies which have since been returned, although I now have a Nexus 7. I prefer the Nexus 7 100%, everything about Android seems much better to me.

Did you notice and difference in performance or display between the two?
What made you choose to go with the Nexus over the Mini?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We're going way off-topic here, but despite there being a gazillion more Android devices out there than iOS devices now, Apple still dominates the mobile web in terms of usage:

http://www.akamai.com/html/io/io_dataset.html#stat=mobile_browser&top=5&type=line&start=20130209&end=20130311&net=both

I think that data is related to the States. If it were European or worldwide it would likely be a different tale. Curiously if only mobile data was accounted for, the roles are reversed and android browsing outweighs ios.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Did you notice and difference in performance or display between the two?
What made you choose to go with the Nexus over the Mini?

The display on the iPad Mini is a lot better, I honestly didn't notice that much difference in performance, both seem on par. I chose the Nexus as I prefer Android, if you use it properly it feels so much 'tidier' (I am really sold on the idea of widgets)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another vote for a nexus 7 (Although I've also got a ipad).
I don';t think either device is better than the other, they're both eminently capable but I've not found the nexus lacking in any way so for that reason alone, I'd get it over the more expensive ipad mini.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As the Nexus 7 does have a faster CPU, 2x faster Processor and a slightly better screen resolution and PPI.
Do the hardware numbers actually mean anything on such small devices?

Tech Specs - Mini Vs Nexus

not really, as you're comparing two different chips with two different OS's and two different sets of software. about the only metrics that a meaningfully comparable and of practical note are in screen resolution, memory, maybe camera spec. techie wise the Nexus 7 is better as its newer (4 core plus a control processor is neat stuff), iirc the Mini is using the older Ipad 2 internals.

The link you have makes it look like an Nexus win except for camera, and excepting the internal memory which is 32GB now.

The iPad's hardware pisses all over the Nexus 7. But it should for the price differential.

iPad mini v Nexus 7 v Kindle HD hardware

Pisses? see above, there is very few areas in which the Ipad Mini is better. this isnt the 10" market where Ipad leads. that Infoworld link s a very poor review to make any judgment from, it calls it for Apple but doesnt say why, there's nothing in the preceding paragraphs to back that up except the camera. the only way Ipad mini pisses on nexus 7 is if iOS is a crucial factor. there's nothing else to justify the hike in price, £150 more for the 32GB version.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife is a lady of impeccable taste, style and is always always right. She has an ipad mini. This is probably all you need to know.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I am a nexus user and love it. However I hope to god that you buy the iPad mini. I don't think I could stand all the moaning afterwards if you didn't.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Another vote for the Nexus 7 (from an iPhone user!)

Went for the Nexus due to the price differential given that the other differences between the Nexus and mini-iPad weren't that big an issue for me at the time. The only downside I've found so far is that I can't watch Lovefilm Instant on the Nexus but that's probably more to do with Amazon restricting the service and wanting people to buy the Kindle Fire than a reflection on the Nexus's true abilities as I have no problem watching MP4 video files or Sky Go!

I use my android phone as a phone primarily, the one thing my Brother and his I phone 4 struggles to do. He has a contract with o2 and they won't entertain the notion there's an issue with his phone.

Getting back on topic techradar had a roundup of the best budget tablets under £300. No prizes for guessing what the top two were.

Best cheap tablets: top budget options | News | TechRadar

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Can I just throw the Samsung tab 7 nch into the mix? It is 8gb but has a microsd slot (a small 32gb is only £15). They are only £159 at the mo? I have lots of Samsung products and find them all excellent. Thoughts?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can I just throw the Samsung tab 7 nch into the mix? It is 8gb but has a microsd slot (a small 32gb is only £15). They are only £159 at the mo? I have lots of Samsung products and find them all excellent. Thoughts?

Didn't see this post until just now!
Just got back from Tesco and opted for this over the Nexus and Mini. Looks pretty decent, albeit loses in the Hardware battle against both other devices.
I'll give it a few days trial and if no joy, pay out the extra for the Mini.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't see this post until just now!
Just got back from Tesco and opted for this over the Nexus and Mini. Looks pretty decent, albeit loses in the Hardware battle against both other devices.
I'll give it a few days trial and if no joy, pay out the extra for the Mini.

So you wasted all of our time? Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here